Xmas Number 1

Slim

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a cool result... I love that song.. not listened to it in a good few years mind. Cracking guitar riffs.

To be honest I didn't really think it had a hope in hell of winning the top spot due to the mass coverage X factor gets... Brill! :)

Sorry, Vinnie, I'm a bit grumpy today, I'm so disconsolate at how this thing has turned out that I'm utterly depressed. It feels like the end of something. As if rock, punk, indie etc have decided to go down the same path pop has gone. It's so sad.

I'd genuinely like to understand more why you feel this way.

The problem now is that the movement will be the victom of its own success.

Next year, everyman and his dog will want their particular song at number one, each with its on little FaceBook following.

Attention will be divided, and then the Crap-Factor can stream roll back in with its pre-recorded pop drivvel.

By the way not sure if anyone knew by "The Climb" by Wet Joe is a Milley Cyrus song from the Hannah Montanna film.

Sorry, Vinnie, I'm a bit grumpy today, I'm so disconsolate at how this thing has turned out that I'm utterly depressed. It feels like the end of something. As if rock, punk, indie etc have decided to go down the same path pop has gone. It's so sad.

No worries, though I do want to make it clear I wasn't sniping! I'm more suggesting that latching onto trends and so on is pretty much something we all do on one level or another from time to time. I know I always did - though in my defence, I looked gorgeous when I did.

I'm fairly ambivalent about the RATM Xmas number one, myself. I've read a few comments in the press pointing out the irony and so on, but is this really about the music and does it actually say anything about music? I viewed it more as being about the charts and how they actually work more than having any cultural implications.

Music can also be about playing with atmospheres and moods. I think FWIW that quite a lot of goth music tends to be about that although at a fairly simplistic level. Goth anthems always seemed very like warm fuzzy hymns. And gothy stuff is self consciously rather camp and theatrical too.

Camp and theatrical - putting on slap and having a good old dance ;). Still, it reads like you're talking about goth of the very early 80's, which is pretty far removed from what it became in the early and mid nineties with the influence of EBM, industrial, and trance (and when it finally shed its post-punk spin off status and became more its own genre). By that time it had become apparant that capes and crushed velvet were teh lame, only really being indulged in by rapidly aging folk who really should have grown out of it by then, and it became more about the beat and the spectacle than arsing around in graveyards in the hope someone would describe you as 'melancholic'*.

*with the exception of the above-a-pub-every-fourth-wednesday-of-every-third-month-every-leap-year scene, which probably still thinks that pretending you're a vampire is cool, that every song needs a mandolin and/or sampled church organ, and that the Bauhaus weren't fucking dreadful.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more staged singles advertising a purpose - there are times in the year when you only need >200 sales (pretty cheap) to get into the chart, and it's pretty decent exposure. 'Isle of Man healthcare agreement' record if you wanted a decent UK audience.

Those noisy influences which you are talking about VinnieK, that early industrial music, it was sometimes described as gothic long even before the flouncy pasty goth flounced along and got called goth.

I've no doubt it was, but how in 1982 some NME anorak or the like once happened to describe the output of five germans kicking a bin lid and a pice of drainpipe around a home studio for an hour and a half doesn't really change the fact of what 'goth' refers to today.

Also, if we're getting pedantic (and I sense that we might be and that we're going to get tangled in one of those horrible conversations that somehow, via a four page list of the last three decades' most obscure yet apparently seminal albums, ends up with a claim like 'the Velvet Underground invented Hip Hop' ;) ), early 'noisy' stuff like Throbbing Gristle and Einsturzende Neubaten had at best a very indirect influence (due to it being largely impenetrable shite). Think more late 80's EBM and dance influenced industrial like Front 242, Frontline Assembly, Skinny Puppy, and so on.

how wierd would it be hearing this on Radio 1?

It's at No 12 on Simon Bates's Classic FM chart. Which is only a short hop from Radio 1 already. Albinoni's much early Adagio in G minor which it is often compared with is at No 57 in the same chart (also recently brought to a new audience thanks to Simon Cowell's syrupy Il Divo "classical" boy band).

largely impenetrable shite

The impenetrability of shite is definitely a subjective matter.

Archived