British Airways Strike

slinkydevil

How much are the Cabin Crew paid? If they do get shit money then good on them! If they have no jobs in British Airways to come back to and the company goes bust then that's a big shame for the bosses and the company. No doubt these cabin crew will find work with other airlines.

So yes instead of helping the company get better and maybe you know muck in...

...the problem we have is, there is no loyaty for anything any more, most people just care about how much thay can screw out of somebody, the days of greed have been and gone, and the sooner these people

Muck in?! Loyalty?! Gazza, your politics are appalling and what you say is just poop. Do you think that people are privileged to have jobs/work? There is absolutely no reason why a worker should have any sense of loyalty towards someone or a company that employs them.

Loyalty is earned, not given away JUST because you have ended up working for a particular company. They need workers and you need to work to survive. Such a relationship doesn''t breed loyalty, especially in cases where pay and working conditions are poor. Just think a little harder about the loyalty and care offered to workers when they aren't needed anymore - they are more redundant or receive pay cuts. And it is very often the workers who take the hit first before any cutbacks are made.

Strikes affect the public, they always will because the business offer a product or service. That is the problem with strikes because they will also upset those who buy such things from these companies. But workers have limited ways of gaining leverage over an employer.

If BA have trouble with their finances due to competition or inefficiences it is not the workers problem when it comes to their wages.

Just on the news tonight. BA cabin crew are paid almost 30k a year.

Virgin Atlantic crew are on 14k a year.

BA could sack them all and recruit from other airlines and still save a fortune.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
because he wants to know if you do work
No, I never work and never have. I just sit at home drinking white ace and smoking skunk.

According to RTE this evening a starter salary of £28,000 p.a.
£28,000? Bloody hell. I thought it would be more round the £20,000 mark. Then I wonder why they are striking. Were they expected to be given pay rises?

I may tell you after telling me why it is relevant.

I ask because it will help understand why you have such dislike for employeers and the employment establishment. It may also give me some guidance about you in general.

I understand if you don't want to tell me. Some people just aren't particually proud of their employment.

because he wants to know if you do work
No, I never work and never have. I just sit at home drinking white ace and smoking skunk.

According to RTE this evening a starter salary of £28,000 p.a.
£28,000? Bloody hell. I thought it would be more round the £20,000 mark. Then I wonder why they are striking. Were they expected to be given pay rises?

o hold on is that LDV changeing his tune.

you said thay should fight for more cash cause thay get paid feck all,

or his 28k to much has it gone over the ldv right of pay mark

I may tell you after telling me why it is relevant.

I ask because it will help understand why you have such dislike for employeers and the employment establishment. It may also give me some guidance about you in general.

I understand if you don't want to tell me. Some people just aren't particually proud of their employment.

He's the policeman out of village people.

22Dec to 2Jan.

If they stick to this, they will close down - simples.

With a bit of luck all those environmental activists who flew to Copenhagen to save the environment will be able to come back by train via Germany, Holland, Belgium and the Chunnel. Given UK CO2 emissions were down by 9% this year the lack of BA planes flying may help the UK to reach a 10% reduction by year end. Could this really be a present to us all from BA staff to help to save the world?

I may be. It isn't a poor salary. In such a way I am trying to work out why they are striking, i.e. whether they simply think they are worth more or because they were told something like they were getting pay rises, etc. Obviously, they aren't striking because they just feel like it.

He's the policeman out of village people.
No, I am actually the clone in the chaps.

I may be. It isn't a poor salary. In such a way I am trying to work out why they are striking, i.e. whether they simply think they are worth more or because they were told something like they were getting pay rises, etc. Obviously, they aren't striking because they just feel like it.

ha ha with what little credit i had for you, has just gone out the window with that last post

BA crew are amongst the highest paid in the world. A long haul senior cabin crew earns £56kpa (Virgin similar position is circa £30kpa), short haul £52kpa. They have not been asked to take pay cuts. They have been asked to take a pay freeze this year. In addition, they want to cut the number of crew by 2 on long haul and 1 on short haul, and they want to be able to offer different terms of contract to new recruits, more in line with other airline (lower salary, private pension instead of final salary scheme). By all accounts Unite have lead the crew up the gargen path a bit, and it will be interesting to see what happens. I cannot see Willie Walsh backing down.

Would the strike make them go bust? I very much doubt it, but if they do I think the cabin crew have much more to lose than Unite, as those who do find new positions with other airlines are likely to take a massive pay cut. Pay freeze of massive pay cut? The choice is theirs.

Chief executive Willie Walsh has said these changes are crucial to the company's survival.

"We will not be reversing our changes to onboard crew numbers," he said.

Mr Walsh agreed to work for nothing in the month of July, joining some 800 workers who volunteered to do the same.

Another 4,000 employees took unpaid leave, while 1,400 people volunteered to work part-time, in a move which the airline said would save £10m.

If the 12-day strike goes ahead, it will ground hundreds of flights and cost BA between £20m and £30m a day, analysts say, on top of its current losses of around £1.5m a day.

And what is the position of the strikers, i.e. exactly why they are striking?

It matters not whether this Walsh person is working for nothing, as Chief Executive he would have been raking in ridiculous and unjustified wages up until this point. He isn't in the same boat as those MUCH farther down the ladder.

Those who took unpaid leave and those who work part-time are no doubt those who aren't in any other position but to do so. They would either believe that they have no prospects elsewhere (which may be true) or believe that things will get better or they may unfortunately even believe that taking unpaid leave or working part-time is something they SHOULD do once it has been proposed (pushed) to them by the company.

If BA can't or won't pay its staff what they should get then the mentality of the workers should be to grab as much as they can and look for something else whilst the 'ship sinks'.

And what is the position of the strikers, i.e. exactly why they are striking?

It matters not whether this Walsh person is working for nothing, as Chief Executive he would have been raking in ridiculous and unjustified wages up until this point. He isn't in the same boat as those MUCH farther down the ladder.

Those who took unpaid leave and those who work part-time are no doubt those who aren't in any other position but to do so. They would either believe that they have no prospects elsewhere (which may be true) or believe that things will get better or they may unfortunately even believe that taking unpaid leave or working part-time is something they SHOULD do once it has been proposed (pushed) to them by the company.

If BA can't or won't pay its staff what they should get then the mentality of the workers should be to grab as much as they can and look for something else whilst the 'ship sinks'.

God i hate you more and more every time you post :D

Archived