Jail For Man Who Beat Intruder With Cricket Bat

bluemonday

The Times today

Clicky

Munir Hussain, chairman of the Asian Business Council, was praised by a judge for his “courage” in defending his wife and three children from an attack — but then jailed for the violence of his response. One of his attackers was spared a jail sentence.

What followed was described in Reading Crown Court as self-defence that went too far. Walid Salem, one of the intruders, suffered a permanent brain injury after he was struck with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces. Neighbours saw several men beating Salem with weapons, including a metal pole.

Salem was the only intruder caught after the incident in September last year, but his injuries meant that he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment. Salem, who has 50 past convictions, was given a two-year supervision order in September this year. He is now in custody awaiting trial for an alleged credit card fraud.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m all in favour of punishment being punishment and an ardent critic of the UK so called “justice” system but this time they got it right, though possibly were a bit lenient.

To repeatedly beat the perp with an iron bar and a cricket bat in the way that they did is quite simply wrong.

Hmm tricky one. I definitely believe that violence should be met with violence. If you are in a situation where someone has a knife and they threaten to kill you then you have complete carte blanche to do what you like to them to end that situation. These people used force and made threats, but they ran away. It definitely isn't right that they came down the road and clobbered the shit of them when the threat had gone. Though obviously this was an extremely emotional incident.

I am not commenting on justice system as it stands today. And I don't think it was that difficult to pick out what I meant by my post. I am not talking about punishment.

I was only talking about the morality and justification for the use of force in such situations. If someone threatens you with violence or uses violence then you are absolutely justified in using violence, but to end that situation you are in. That's all I am saying.

The Sehwag, he should have been Warne'd off and told to Flintoff for being such a Pollock and hit for six, right in the Ganguly's.

Gilchrist! at least he Fleming well took off and fLeed the scene, but he was over stepping the boundary at the time and Khan expect a Lara more once he Sobers up.

(That's the best I could come up with as I was starting to get stumped)

I’m all in favour of punishment being punishment and an ardent critic of the UK so called “justice” system but this time they got it right, though possibly were a bit lenient.

To repeatedly beat the perp with an iron bar and a cricket bat in the way that they did is quite simply wrong.

To be honest i think it was quite simply right

The Sehwag, he should have been Warne'd off and told to Flintoff for being such a Pollock and hit for six, right in the Ganguly's.

Gilchrist! at least he Fleming well took off and fLeed the scene, but he was over stepping the boundary at the time and Khan expect a Lara more once he Sobers up.

(That's the best I could come up with as I was starting to get stumped)

You bowled me over with that one I was creased up with laughter. you bailed me out of a boring afternoon, so please spin us another one

I'm starting to think that this bloke's main crime was being Asian, rather than the supposedly disproportionate response.

His wife thought their younger child had been killed, and they trussed them up with their hands behind their backs and forced to crawl around their own house on their knees whilst they robbed and beat them.

I'd have beaten the living shit out of them too if they did that to me. No questions asked.

Archived