Isle Of Man T.v.

Ripsaw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Manx Radio...

The Peel based Manx Multi-media Centre is due to close in September.

The date of closure will coincide with the completion of the existing training programmes, and the Department of Trade and Industry says the ten current trainees will be unaffected.

The MMC was created over six years ago as a small experimental training unit, designed to give individuals training in the film and media industry.

The DTI says the decision to close the facility follows a review of future media training requirements.

It hopes to integrate training at the Isle of Man College.

The Department says its role is to help stimulate Manx employment and too many of the MMC students were taking work in the UK rather than staying on the Island.

It hopes projects such as the development of digital animation will help achieve that goal.

How often is the word 'hope' a precursor to nothing? A good idea that was never properly exploited?

If there is little or no industry for trainees to move into after completing their course, is there any wonder they take their skills elsewhere?

The question here is - shouldn't IOMG be committed to training Manx kids to the point where they CAN get work off-island? And be less keen to educate incomers and migrant workers who will disappear soon enough anyway?

Surely that's what Manx people expect to pay their taxes for... the education of THEIR kids, not those of others elsewhere.

With regard to Rips post (couldnt be arsed quoting), if they fulfill their 'hopes' of sending it up to the College the had better pass on their gear aswell, since the MMC has waaaay better facilities than the College dept. Also I presume it will be classed as an alternative course since the way the IOMC one works is quite different to the MMC one.

I agree with the earlier comments. When I heard the reason stated for the closure of the Media Centre, it struck me as narrow minded and unfair. How many students who have their fees at Uni paid for (and in my day grants as well) return to the Island?

I can kind of see how it doesn't fit into the DOI 's goals, but doesn't it fit within the Board of Education's?

Archived