Birch Hill Development

TheTool

Glad to see the government finally standing up to the developers, i wonder what part of the island they are going to ruin next.

I was looking in the planning last week and it looks like ramsey will be the next blot on the landscape.

Do we really need all this housing i would love to know how many people per month are coming over here to live i bet it is less than the ammount of houses that are built.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see it too, but disappointing that rimmington said it could happen soon anyway, sounds almost like someone has greased a palm or two. Peel seems to be the next nice little town they are ruining and theyre doing a fine job with kirk michael too.

...the area could still be developed at a future date, depending on new strategic and area plans

The sooner that the All Island Strategic Plan is finalised and published the better. I am basing this wish on my assumption that it will clearly define areas suitable for development and areas that are not. Or am I dreaming again?

Do we really need all this housing i would love to know how many people per month are coming over here to live i bet it is less than the ammount of houses that are built.
It isn't just the ones "coming here to live", it's also the ones already here, the ones who can not afford to buy in a market where for years demand has outstiped supply which has seen prices rise at exceptional rates.

There is still a "first time buyers" list, they haven't gone away and more worrying, there are plenty of "younger" residents (my six year old for a start) who won't be living under my roof in 15-20 years.

Birch Hill wasn't zoned for housing so it should be no surprise that the plans were turned down irrespective of local feelings. The Strategic Plan should set out what state the housing market is currently in and what will need to be done in preperation for the next 20 years. Most documents like this are only valid for up to 5 years, the Plan has been in Draft status for at least four years so far.

very glad this is turned down. the last thing the IOM needs is another dandara / heritage homes estate - cardboard box houses don't really cut it for me.

don't think there is a problem with 'lack' of properties on the island - perhaps those greedy property developers who own 5+ properties on the island could sell some. also think the problem is the price of houses, not that there isn't any suitable!

also think the problem is the price of houses, not that there isn't any suitable!

But the price is governed by what people are willing to pay and if there is a shortage of housing, prices will rise. It's only when there's a surplus of houses, or a shortage of willing buyers that prices will fall.

Congratulating them on refusing permission to build more houses which should impact the overall price and facilitate a drop is a self defeating hypocracy.

Quite simply, Government don't often look past the next election. Real people on the other hand have to think 5, 10, 15 and more years ahead.

By the time he's 20 I would like to think that my boy will have left school with good grades, have "travelled" a bit and will be playing flanker for an International Rugby team :) Most importantly will be that he is able to have the choice to stand on his own two feet.

The current Government may think it is fine to hand out grants to help first time buyers but the grants come from a finite source. What will be the size of assistence in 15 to 20 years?

Does anyone really think that the grants are a temporary measure?

If he travels a bit he's not likely to come back to this dump is he. There are many houses and I dont know anyone living on the street due to lack of housing do you.

If they are going to build and build and build like theres no tomorrow they need to get a real strategy regarding population size. unless they plan to build until theres no green space left

I would be happy to see no more building here theres enough places been lost in the last ten years or more

Here's a funny thing and also a common occurrence - lots of people leave the island proclaiming it to be a dump/dead end/etc etc and curiously return some years later with a new found appreciation of it.

Here's a funny thing and also a common occurrence - lots of people leave the island proclaiming it to be a dump/dead end/etc etc and curiously return some years later with a new found appreciation of it.

Exactly...and maybe those that do slag it off should try living elsewhere for a while. Whilst not perfect (but then again where is) it is certainly peferable to a gret many places in the UK and beyond. If people spent more time being grateful for what they do have than complain about what they do, the world would be a much better place.

1106.gif

funnily enough I have always loved the place until I did go travelling and realised theres so much more. not the adjacent isle though, that sucks too.

If you went travelling around the world at 18 yrs you wouldnt be so happy to come back here and settle for some civil service job or smoething though would you, thats all Im saying

Archived