Birch Hill Development

TheTool

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes thats true. opens your eyes though for sure, specially as theres no much for young people to do here bar office jobs, with less choice beyond that by the day. anyone who has seen what else the world has to offer, well why come back.

dont try to be smart, it doesnt suit you.

there are many other jobs available in other places that there just isnt here, especially in the entertainment, leisure and retail industries.

anyway enough already, come back in 20 yrs ripsaw and tell us if your boy comes back to what will no doubt by then be a concrete island with a fatcat dan smoking a cigar on the top

funnily enough I have always loved the place until I did go travelling and realised theres so much more. not the adjacent isle though, that sucks too.

If you went travelling around the world at 18 yrs you wouldnt be so happy to come back here and settle for some civil service job or smoething though would you, thats all Im saying

I have lived and worked in Australia for a year, I lived and worked in Greece for a summer season, Malta for a 4 months, I lived in Hong Kong and have traveled and visited many many places all over the world. When I first started doing it I felt the same as you do but eventually realised that when you live and settle anywhere for any length of time, the vast amount of your time is spent working and on the usual domestic rituals which are the same regardless of location. Circumstances and needs change, more often than not the focus shifts to family/children and you then see the island and what it has to offer in a different light. You also begin to appreciate the natural beauty we take for granted that surrounds us everywhere right on our very own doorstep and take pride in the sight of the island emerging in the distance as your ferry trundles into Douglas bay.

It's a funny syndrome - you really have to get away and live a normal working life to appreciate it. Well, that is my experience anyway, and one which I know is shared by many.

we seem to be way off topic! I know if I had done my travelling earlier, at 18 or so I would not have come back, as it is now I intend to move away when I can. more and more people are travelling now and most of them I know have not come back, those who have are always talking about going again and cant seem to settle here. as for kids most people these days do it late if at all.

Archived