Birch Hill Development

TheTool

its like the old saying "something is only worth as much as someone will pay for it".

So if people stop buying it is bound to have a knock on effect, i know that i have not spoken to anyone within the last 2 years who was buying a house, 5 years ago everybody was buying.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a similar position to Chopley...although my kids have grown up and moved out. And so did the wife.

Which means I've got a reasonable wage and am desperate to buy somewhere and re-establish myself on the property ladder - if only so I have equity OR no rent to pay when I'm too old and decrepit to work.

And I COULD afford somewhere for maybe £120k - but I'll be buggered before I'll buy a ticky-tacky box, or the attic of an old guest house. So I'm still renting. That's good for the buy-to-let merchants, but no good for me, or the Isle of Man.

The reason manchester property is so cheap, is because it's not in short supply. You can get a 3 bed house there for 50k, because not many people want to buy them compared to how many there are.

Do you want to buy a house in manchester? No. So what relevance does the price there have on you? None!

"I think £120K should at the very least buy a modest terraced house suitable for a small family."

Why?

I think a Ferrari should cost £2, because I'd buy ten of them! I don't get this idea of deciding what a fair price is based on your own income. The market dictates the price.

From www.iomonline.co.im

Objectors' celebrations could be short-lived after a builder says it will be back with new plans after a massive estate was vetoed.

Surely there's a limit to how many applications can be made on any particular piece of land or property?

Can these companies stalk particular pieces of island land and the planning department forever?

I think we all know that this parcel of land will be built on it is just a matter of time, these companies don't care if they say no they just keep going till they say yes.

The Isle of Man is at a stage now where less people are moving over and its more locals that are wanting to buy so surely the government could build houses to sell to the local first timers on a budget.

If they ever go down the self build road where they sell you a plot i think i will be buying one of them due to the fact that i could do most of the work myself.

All the island needs is someone in government with a spine

Archived