Especially For Rog

Terse

I didn't think Rog was a big support of British imperialism

The information in the article doesn't support the imposition of an authority over the people in Yemen. Nevertheless, I think it is absolutely understandable. The former one brought a better life. Hypothetically, if the only choice is between two systems of authority, it would be intelligent to choose the least oppressive and less controlling, regardless of the nationality doing the controlling.

Very interesting period in history (I think) when just before the British left Aden and were fighting a counter-insurgency warfare.

You don't know how wrong you are! :D
In fact LDV is correct.

In my opinion British imperialism was the least worst of the period of European Imperialism, and the establishment of British colonies provided the best infrastructure when independence was returned to the indigenous people compared to that left by France, Portugal, Germany, and especially Spain but that’s an incidental.

If the God awful mess that Britain created in the various acts of chicanery that the British government of the day got up to in a number of countries is considered with the benefit of hindsight it’s no wonder there is so much conflict in so many countries today.

What is true, at least in my opinion it seems to be, is that the nature and vehemence of the opposition to colonial rule was and remains extreme, and the life of the guy in the street in what are now crap holes is very much worse than when the same places were colonies.

Archived