Hotel.im

Craine

Purely because cyber squatting is scummy in my opinion, I would point out that section 3 of https://www.nic.im/pdfs/disputeresolution.pdf states that registering a domain name for the purposes of selling, renting or otherwise transferring the Domain Name... ...for valuable consideration in excess of... ...costs directly associated with acquiring or using the Domain Name leaves you open to a dispute claim via www.nic.im from a potential legitimate user of the domain.

In fact I would encourage legitimate local companies to file disputes for this and the other domains listed for sale on hotel.im, (as well as filing disputes for any other im domains registered purely for reselling):

info.im

car.im

motors.im

job.im

maps.im

art.im

antiques.im

Purely because cyber squatting is scummy in my opinion, I would point out that section 3 of https://www.nic.im/pdfs/disputeresolution.pdf states that registering a domain name for the purposes of selling, renting or otherwise transferring the Domain Name... ...for valuable consideration in excess of... ...costs directly associated with acquiring or using the Domain Name leaves you open to a dispute claim via www.nic.im from a potential legitimate user of the domain.

In fact I would encourage legitimate local companies to file disputes for this and the other domains listed for sale on hotel.im, (as well as filing disputes for any other im domains registered purely for reselling)

A very sensible post Turrican. What safeguard is there against the owner bidding to create the impression of interest?

What safeguard is there against the owner bidding to create the impression of interest?

I am not sure what you mean.. I assume Craine would not raise a dispute against himself and want to pay a second lot of registration charges if he is successful, only to leave a 'For sale' holding page on it again and still run the risk of a dispute from a company wanting to use the domain for their company. To resolve the dispute the interested parties may be asked to demonstrate their appropriate use of the domain.. The answer is probably in the PDF link above.

I think if he had registered "seftonhotel.im" instead of "hotel.im" then there would be a cybersquatting case. Would the owner of a local hotel be classed as a "potential legitimate user of the domain". If it were the prior domain name then the local Sefton Hotel would be, but I wouldn't say there were a "potential legitimate user" of "hotel.im". Equally the other domains are similar including places.

You missed out the word "complainant" in the above...

I am a legitimate registrant and as a local resident have a genuine interest in all of these domains, unlike the majority of the .im domains that have been registered.

All I have are generic terms, not company names.

In response:-

-Surely people who register domains such as "http://manxforum.com/" (without the 's') are in the wrong, preying on established websites, not people who register domains like "forum.com"?

-I own photos.im amongst a few other personal sites which I've developed as I have an interest in photography. Maybe I should be given a UDRP by Keigs...?

"scummy"? Well you're entitled to your opinion I suppose. I also kill kittens in my spare time.

What safeguard is there against the owner bidding to create the impression of interest?

Sedo.com is an independent company - I cannot generate false impressions or bids on the site without violating terms and agreements.

I'm sure all i.p. addresses are logged and as the two current bidders are in Germany I'm sure it would look a little suspicious if I jumped in... with the same i.p. I use to check the site...

look at this thread if you have a genuine interest in the legalities of domain ownership - espcially .im domains

http://www.dnforum.com/f26/im-decision-rev...ead-177033.html

A local legal firm on the island won dispute against "lawyers.im", however the decision was reversed. A generic term cannot simply be the right of a company unless it is a registered mark.

Do you mean like this one?

http://81taxi.com/

Thank you for the free publicity!

If 81taxi would like the domain transferred to their name they only have to ask nicely, along with a full apology for previous criminal acts carried out against myself and my company.

Regards,

Sidney/North East Cabs

Also, are you one of their drivers T.I.N.G.?

I think if he had registered "seftonhotel.im" instead of "hotel.im" then there would be a cybersquatting case. Would the owner of a local hotel be classed as a "potential legitimate user of the domain".

Cybersquatting was the wrong term for me to use for that reason! Yes the owner of any on island hotel who wants to register hotel.im for use to promote their IoM hotel would be a 'legit user' in my opinion, not sure if the same opinion would be held at nic.im. I would say that someone who operated or was planning to create a Hotel booking portal for local hotels would be another legit user.

Clearly registering hotel.im (and the other unrelated domains listed above) purely to flog it on at nearly 40 times the registration cost is speculating and classed as an Abusive Registration according to the definition in the nic.im Disputes PDF.

The point is, if you run a local hotel and consider that this domain would help your hotel, stick a dispute claim in and don't pay over the odds.

Well despite any moral objections you might have the auction closes in two hours - this is your last chance.

I'll just remind everyone reading this thread, these are generic domains, no one person or company has an implicit right to them unless their trademark represents exactly the term.

No terms or conditions at the registry have been broken and no intellectual property laws have been violated.

Archived