Latest Doublespeak From Airstrip One

Declan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The arrival of the big Orange jets have been featuring in the wet dreams of the Reynolds frau and Corlett for many years. Interesting cases for my old freund, Herr Freud The airport charges are very high because of the ownership by the State which provides much higher salaries and pensions to everyone from the baggage handlers to the at controllers (per aircraft handled possibly the best paid in the world). Sell it off, if anyone would buy it, naturlich.

Who in their right mind would buy an airport which serves 80000 people which unless sold for buttons would be at such cost it would be a joke from the outset !

The time to have sold it was before the ridiculous expenditure was undertaken, BTW would a private concern have done what Govt. has ? would it balls !! if it had there was no way the airport would be a commercial proposition.

We have massively overdeveloped infrastructure with not a chance of attracting enough customers to ever be a viable concern ! simple geography nothing more.

They can't be as shit as flybe though, can they?

yes multiply by 10 and you will be near the mark i don't like flybe but i would never fly with easyjet, it would be back to the steampacket for me.

i used easy jet a few times and never had a problem with them,

and for the cost you cant really complain,

£40 to spain and back bargin

Who in their right mind would buy an airport which serves 80000 people which unless sold for buttons would be at such cost it would be a joke from the outset !

The time to have sold it was before the ridiculous expenditure was undertaken, BTW would a private concern have done what Govt. has ? would it balls !! if it had there was no way the airport would be a commercial proposition.

We have massively overdeveloped infrastructure with not a chance of attracting enough customers to ever be a viable concern ! simple geography nothing more.

Blackpool Airport serves half the number of passengers as Ronaldsway and is privately owned. Gloucester Airport is operated as a limited company. Both are looking to expand.

To those talking about passenger numbers being too few...i dont see the point of those statements.

Here's an example:

Inverness Airport...Between 1999 and 2008 passenger numbers at Inverness have doubled from 350,000 a year to more than 700,000 a year (less than IOM).

easyjet fly to Bristol, Gatwick & Luton, Lufthansa to Dusseldorf, Ryanair to East Midlands and Flybe to Belfast City, Birmingham, Exeter [seasonal], Jersey [seasonal], London-Gatwick, Manchester, Southampton. Flybe operated by Loganair to Edinburgh, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh

here's official passenger numbers.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data/...x_1998_2008.pdf

compare passenger numbers here for example LPL and IOM had similar passenger figures:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data/...it_Pax_1990.pdf

now, LPL has over 5m and IOM about 800,000

you can see what low cost airilines have done for the airports at which they operate from.

low cost airlines increase passenger numbers.

low cost airlines increase passenger numbers.

That is true - Ryanair had a big impact on house values in some of the 'foreign' locations it flies to as a consequence.

My one query about your argument is that in the case of the IOM the increase in numbers has to be in 'inbound' passengers as the population here of 84,000 will not support the volume growths you mention.

Will we get the same boost as the south of France or central Europe?

Mind you Douglas for weekend breaks and hen parties might bring some people in.

At the moment FlyBe have 3 or 4 flights a day to Liverpool. Manx2 have what looks like 4 to 7 flights a day to Belfast. If FlyBe really was doing Liverpool - IOM - Belfast flights I wonder what impact it would have on the other carriers and the choice of flight times to connect with onbound flights?

Please god - no. Read up on what they have done to Blackpool, and how those groups are now being pushed away.

Weekends of fights, drunkeness, puking, noise - and a raft of other problems we'd have to pay to police - no thanks.

If FlyBe really was doing Liverpool - IOM - Belfast flights I wonder what impact it would have on the other carriers and the choice of flight times to connect with onbound flights?

i take it you mean easyjet BFS-IOM-LPL. Flybe already tried and failed.

Please god - no. Read up on what they have done to Blackpool, and how those groups are now being pushed away. Weekends of fights, drunkeness, puking, noise - and a raft of other problems we'd have to pay to police - no thanks.

neither ryanair nor easyjet fly to BLK. but why let facts get in the way of your argument!

Blackpool Airport serves half the number of passengers as Ronaldsway and is privately owned. Gloucester Airport is operated as a limited company. Both are looking to expand.

Yes but neither have infrastructure costing anything like the IOM and both are surrounded by punters. Ryanair have dropped Blackpool and Gloucester is only served by small regional traffic and Blackpool are having to charge punters to try and expand !! No comparison I am afraid.

Yes but neither have infrastructure costing anything like the IOM and both are surrounded by punters. Ryanair have dropped Blackpool and Gloucester is only served by small regional traffic and Blackpool are having to charge punters to try and expand !! No comparison I am afraid.

Well I think there is!

Please god - no. Read up on what they have done to Blackpool, and how those groups are now being pushed away.

Weekends of fights, drunkeness, puking, noise - and a raft of other problems we'd have to pay to police - no thanks.

Agreed. The very last thing the Island needs, even were it capable, is for it to become a minor location on the hen/stag night circuit. Once you go down that route it's very difficult to turn back, and it's one that leads ultimately to stagnation and further decay.

Archived