Dangerous Woo Doesn't Work

Chinahand

This is a very serious issue and really says something about human nature.

A quack came up with a fake device which he claimed uses the ideas of dowsing to detect explosives.

Dowsing is WOO pure and simple - there is no scientific basis for it and no matter what claims are made about vibrations and laylines etc it doesn't work any better than guessing.

But those facts didn't stop the "inventor" of this device selling it for $40,000 each all over the world.

Thailand bought it, Lebanon bought it, and most seriously of all Iraq bought it.

The Iraqis spent $85 million on this dross.

That just terrifies me - hundreds of people have died because of the lack of protection these devices give.

The morals of the person who sold them, and the professionalism of the people who allowed WOO to leave them open to terrorism, just beggars belief.

And what is frightening is that I am certain that these people will still claim the devices work - they are so dogmatically certain of their false beliefs that even when there is direct evidence that it is a fake and works no better than random chance they would rather believe in WOO.

BBC LINK

Bad Astronomy Link

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thing is if you had 85m to spend on detection things.

would you not go right lest buy 5 try them out on our own test and see what there like.

would you not test drive a car b4 you buy it

Money and his fool are soon parted

gazza! Test drive.....NO, I'd want the seller to give me a demonstration, through a minefield, with me at a safe distance of course. That would show whether the seller has confidence in the product.

I am absoultely delighted that the owner of the company that sells this bogus woo has been arrested for fraud.

Hundreds of lives has been lost as a result of the devices he has sold not performing as he has claimed they are able to.

I really really hope this is done properly with a genuine double blind test large enough to clearly show whether these devices can perform better than guessing.

And as a result he gets the book thrown at him.

Thing is if you had 85m to spend on detection things.

would you not go right lest buy 5 try them out on our own test and see what there like.

would you not test drive a car b4 you buy it

Money and his fool are soon parted

gazza! Test drive.....NO, I'd want the seller to give me a demonstration, through a minefield, with me at a safe distance of course. That would show whether the seller has confidence in the product.

well that as well

• 3 years later...

Well, the wheels of justice grind slowly, but I have to say I am absolutely delighted that James McCormick has been found guilty of fraud for selling fake bomb detectors.

BBC Link

It is seriously depressing that a fraud such of this can be so successful. Never underestimate the gullibility of people and their willingness to believe claims at face value without verification.

£50 million and more on woo - woo which totally failed to detect bombs - how many deaths is Mr McCormick responsible for?

Caveat emptor is a principle I hold to very dearly, did no one do a rigorous double blind test of these devices?

Was McCormick deluded, or venal in selling them? If deluded what testing did he do?

Be fair - it can detect mines if you hit the ground hard enough with it!

Part of me wants to applaud this man's sheer cheek and for highlighting the profiteering element of war which is endemic.

More importantly, the tone of the news reporting yesterday wanted to make me throw up. So this guy lied and made millions and there were some victims. You could argue AND what about the Iraq war itself crying.gif

So this guy lied and made millions and there were some victims. You could argue AND what about the Iraq war itself crying.gif

Working out motives is difficult and it's even more complicated when it comes to political motives.

It looks like McCormick's motives were entirely mercenary, telling a salesman who questioned that the bomb detectors don't work that they do exactly what they are meant to do - make money for McCormick!

My feeling is that many of the politicians, and especially Blair, were sincere, though maybe deluded, in their belief that stopping Saddam was a good motive. But as ever in life this sincere belief simply confirms Ronnie Reagan's nostrum that the most dangerous words in the world are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Untold misery can result for all the bleeding hearts good motive of the politician spending other people's money and ordering other people to fight the "good" fight.

It's an interesting ethical argument - Kant said it only motives matter, and not consequences in debating whether something was moral. I pretty strongly disagree - if you create misery even though your motives were good, you should be held to account for that. Consequentalist ethics vrs ontological (?spelling?) is a fascinating debate, but I believe for all the supposed sincerity of Blair's motives the way the conflict was handled has made things far worse for many, with other's profiteering from human misery.

This example is truly sobering, but as has been said it is only a microcosm of the Tragedy which is Iraq.

Archived