Dangerous Woo Doesn't Work

Chinahand

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Millions of people take homeopathic remedies etc. Lxxx thinks because they feel they are getting something out of it then it must have an effect. Considering his political views that's a bit strange!

What have political views got to do with challenging scientific dogma?

If it coincidentally works for a lot of people, which it seems to do, then it's no longer a coincidence.

How many is a lot of people? Half? One in ten? One in a hundred? One in a thousand?

Does it matter? The point is that for more than one person it seems to work. Never tried it myself but it seems to be a lot more popular than just a few wacky folk practising in their commune. Prince Charles for example is a vocal supporter of the woo-woo and I would imagine (with his wealth, privileges and access to information) that he's more than capable of forming an intelligent opinion rather than being led by the nose by charlatans.

Of course it matters, if it seems to work for two people out of a million. That is most likely a coincidence. I'm certainly not going to pass over other options in favour of those odds or spend my life savings on it.

If these treatments are of value, it should be possible to demonstrate that they are more effective than doing nothing, or a placebo. If it can't the fact that it "seems to work" for "more than one person" is irrelevant.

• 4 years later...

Does rejecting evidence based medicine and taking alternative remedies make a difference in survival rates over a seven year period?

You bet it does:

djx145f1.png?Expires=2147483647&Signatur

Overall survival of patients receiving alternative medicine (solid lines) vs conventional cancer treatment (dashed lines). Overall survival of alternative medicine vs conventional cancer treatment for (A) all patients, (B) breast, (C) prostate, (D) lung, and (E) colorectal cancers. P values were calculated by a two-sided log-rank test.

Researchers at Yale University School of Medicine identified 280 patients who chose unproven (“alternative”) treatments for several non-metastatic cancers: breast, prostate, lung, and colorectal, which the authors say are the 4 most prevalent cancers in the United States. The researchers compared these patients’ 5-year survival rates with 560 patients who chose conventional treatment (they did not study people who used unproven treatments in conjunction with conventional medicine).

Read more here.

True , however I have been told* that most (definitely not all) prostate cancers are 'slow growing and slow to kill' anyway. If that is true in its simplicity then you would not expect to see a significant difference.

It would be interesting to see the graph for no elected no treatment for this disease.

* By a medical professional who has suffered this disease for a decade. On diagnosis he already had metastatic spread. 

On 7/26/2014 at 2:38 PM, Lxxx said:

What have political views got to do with challenging scientific dogma?

There’s no such thing as scientific dogma; it’s an oxymoron. Belief in homeopathy or religion requires faith. Science requires the scientist to back up theories with evidence; testing researching and conducting experiments. Successful scientists are rewarded for innovation and changing our understanding of the world, not for enforcing belief systems. 

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

There’s no such thing as scientific dogma; it’s an oxymoron. Belief in homeopathy or religion requires faith. Science requires the scientist to back up theories with evidence; testing researching and conducting experiments. Successful scientists are rewarded for innovation and changing our understanding of the world, not for enforcing belief systems. 

I bought a Light Cavalry sabre made originally in 1854. I had the receipt from Wilkinson's of Pall Mall. It had been purchased by Captain (The Hon) Walter Charteris ADC to Lord Lucan at Balaclava in the Crimean War.

Later I met Mrs Josephine Day (Google) then medium to the late Queen Mother. She told me she could pick up objects and get in touch with the owner in spirit.

I had a long talk with Captain Charteris and followed his directions. This took me to various places. I researched all he said. I was having a conversation with a man killed at Balaclava in 1854. It all proved true but took me years to prove it all. The result was published .

It changed my life. I do not believe. I do not have faith. I actually know!

This caused me to write and publish esoteric and spiritualist versions of the Gospel of Mark (The shortest!)

You can look at the main catalogue of the British Library under my name and also Bodleian, the national libraries of Wales and Scotland and Trinity College Dublin. All asked for copies. You can see the Walter Charteris item in the catalogue.

Yes there is another world out there and you will be going to it faith or religion or whatever. Makes no difference. You will go there!

Do not add knowledge to your faith. Add faith to your knowledge.

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=captain+walter+charteris&id=BF1CAE4853E31690B7943B7D1BD22D6FC42C7CA0&FORM=IQFRBA

Walter Charteris directed me to his memorial at Aberlady Kirk, near Haddington, East Lothian, near Edinburgh. My/his sabre was once mounted on those brass links to the right. I think other side arms such as a dirk and broadsword were on the other links.

Once he told me where I would find this stone I flew up there on the old BEA shuttle flight..And there was the stone just as he said! Changed my life and since then I have been contacted by various souls on the other side who need help.

Currently I am working on an archive file destined for the Essex Record Office for Sheila Caffell who with her family was murdered by Jeremy Bamber at White House Farm, Essex in 1985.

Only last night I was talking with a now retired copper who was a police probationer at the time.

You can Google Walter Charteris...Sheila Caffell/Jeremy Bamber. Some people need recognition if their lives were cut short.

ITV is doing this story soon as a drama production.

Religion does have a reality but it has been lost in dogma and theology.

Add faith to your knowledge. Not knowledge to your faith.

Well. A stunned silence from the rest of the regulars, but I have a few questions for Barrie and Walter, or rather, a few questions for Barrie to ask Walter (in case he hasn’t already):

1: Is Walter in Heaven, or Hell, or something altogether different?

2. If Heaven exists, can you get in even if you’ve killed, or maimed, someone with a sabre? 

3. Apart from contacting mediums and their clients from time to time, what else do the dead get up to?

Archived