Jew Hating Alpine Town Bids To Host Winter Olympics

Amadeus

I used to like the Times - not sure I do anymore

Ski resort that hosted 1936 Winter Olympics applies to co-host 2018 Games

The ski resort in question is Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and just so happens to be my hometown.

Yes, it did indeed host the 36 Olympics and the balcony on which the Führer stood to hold his opening speech still exists, but that's about it. It's just absolutely bloody typical of the British media to once again find nothing else but that to write about. Oh, look, over 70 years ago they were nazis. No shit, sherlock, great journalism, well done.

Great to see that they completely missed the fact that it's one of the best ski resorts, hosted a number of ski world cup races, the 1978 Alpine World Ski Championships, and will host the 2011 Alpine World Ski Championships, next to other events, like ski jumping contests (best known one on New Year's Day, as a part of the Four Hills Tournament), or the BMW biker meeting that brings over 30.000 bikers there every year.

Oh, and the little nazi town is also home to the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, run by the Americans who have for a long time formed a part of the local community. We used to play baseball with them before all this 9/11 bollocks caused security clampdown. Surely, all those generals, officers, ministers and god knows what other high ranking officials have visited over the years only came to oogle at our brown past.

Or maybe because all of this was established and done because we have learned to never forget but move on at the same time - unlike the Times, a dying newspaper firmly stuck in the past. :angry:

Quite unreasonably vitriolic for the Times.

The sort of rant I'd expect from the Smuggy Wailod.

Yet the Olympics happily went to China, the brutal suppressor of it's own country and the occupier by force of Tibet.

And of course Japan has hosted Olympic events.

Whilst the history of the nazi era should never be forgotten, it is totally wrong to brand todays people with the evils of the past.

I hope it (G-P) suceeds in winning the nomination.

Given the current rise of the BNP and it's fellow travellers, the UK should be looking at itself a bit more closely not castigating people who weren't born when WW2 happened for what was done then.

It's just a more up-market rag, hardly the paper it was 30 or 40 years ago.

IMO by comparison with the German press the only major British paper worth reading these days is the Guardian.

Surely, all those generals, officers, ministers and god knows what other high ranking officials have visited over the years only came to oogle at our brown past.

And of course, all English history is lily-white and beyond reproach.

...unlike the Times, a dying newspaper firmly stuck in the past. :angry:

Ben Goldacre's book "Bad Science" touches upon this well. Seems the scientific and technical communities reach graduation and continue (in the main) the principles of careful, balanced, peer reviewed work all their lives, leaving the humanities graduates to get jobs in the media where they perpetuate everything in a series of stereotypes and vague caricatures of things they don't understand.

Quite unreasonably vitriolic for the Times.

The sort of rant I'd expect from the Smuggy Wailod.

Yet the Olympics happily went to China, the brutal suppressor of it's own country and the occupier by force of Tibet.

And of course Japan has hosted Olympic events.

Whilst the history of the nazi era should never be forgotten, it is totally wrong to brand todays people with the evils of the past.

I hope it (G-P) suceeds in winning the nomination.

Given the current rise of the BNP and it's fellow travellers, the UK should be looking at itself a bit more closely not castigating people who weren't born when WW2 happened for what was done then.

With the exception of the blanket criticism of the BNP, a political party who do have many very good and very true messages that the main parties dare not repeat, I totally agree.

humanities graduates ... get jobs in the media where they perpetuate everything in a series of stereotypes and vague caricatures of things they don't understand.

So pretty much like probably the majority of the society then.

But wait ... aren't you, me and Ben doing that too ?

I skied Garmisch 2 years ago and what a great place it was. The guy in the Australian Lounge Bar went out of his way to get the 6 Nations rugby over the internet so we could watch it in the bar.

The place was so customer focussed it was great.

Me to barmaid "what time do you close?"

Barmaid to me "when you leave sir"

I thoroughly recommend it for a winter break. It's history is it's history.leave it in the past.

the only major British paper worth reading these days is the Guardian.

You should have said the Beano

"Dont mention the war, I did but I think I got away with it"

With the exception of the blanket criticism of the BNP, a political party who do have many very good and very true messages that the main parties dare not repeat, I totally agree.

Erm really like what exactly...

Heroes to some demons to others

or do you mean this highly detailed list of policies

First policy on immigration the introduction of a system of voluntary resettlement whereby those immigrants who are legally here will be afforded the opportunity to return to their lands"

The BNP may speak the kind of "truth" you like to hear but I find them and Britian's swing to the right disturbing.

IMO by comparison with the German press the only major British paper worth reading these days is the Guardian.

Sorry GD4ELI, UK press = gutter press. End of.

Garmish is a great place.

Sorry GD4ELI, UK press = gutter press. End of.

Garmish is a great place.

Sorry Cambon,

Garmish + most of Germany is a great place and the Manchester Grauniad is a fine paper - at least the web site is good.

Archived