Charity Shafted.......

Bananaman

I don't support the RSPCA as a charity, I don't give a monkeys that they're given a royal charter and the Children's equivalent hasn't. But when they set their lawyers on to a case like this, then it rattles me;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8501020.stm

Gaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

I hate the money grabbing side that they have become.

I don't give to charity as often as I should but the RSPCA get sod all from me and the Guide Dogs for the Blind haven't missed me. Hearing Dogs for the Deaf get £5 a month off me and that will do!

Rant over(ish) for me.

How do those on the Island view the RSPCA and the work they do?

Rightly or wrongly, lots of charities have turned into 'businesses' over the years. The RNLI spend 16p out of every pound donated on fundraising and support (far more on fundraising than support) and people have been complaining about the extravagance on their HQ and training facilities - and many charity 'executives' seem to be very well paid.

The Hospice, Childrens Centre and other charities here employ fundrasiers. The reality is they have to, because it takes a lot more money to run these charities than can be collected by a few helpful volunteers just hanging around Shoprite once a year.

On top of that it has been estimated that the 20 largest UK fundraising charities, predict current pension shortfalls worth more than a combined £600m. Some organisations owe more than £100m on their own. The NSPCC for example were looking at 10p in every pound donated having to go to their pension deficit (around £50M), though that now looks closer to 5p. The National Trust reckons it will take 25 years to pay off their pension deficit.

I don't think 'greedy' cases like this show the likes of the RSPCA in a good light at all.

A £1 coin can take a very complicated journey after it goes onto a charity box, and the various 'takes' happen before it reaches the people or animals etc. it is supposed to help.

Love it, serves them right, but I do find the MSPCA here are a lot more deserving of being a charity than the RSPCA as it runs on a lot less admin and full time staff and seems to do a lot better, correct me if I am wrong.

Love it, serves them right, but I do find the MSPCA here are a lot more deserving of being a charity than the RSPCA as it runs on a lot less admin and full time staff and seems to do a lot better, correct me if I am wrong.

I'd like to know what sort of money homes for cats, dogs and horses get in donations.

I know a couple of people who are going to 'leave it all to the cat's home' to spite their families.

I'd like to know what sort of money homes for cats, dogs and horses get in donations.

I know a couple of people who are going to 'leave it all to the cat's home' to spite their families.

Details for all UK Charities can be found free at http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/index.asp

The RSPCA is Charity Number 219099

Basically in 2008 they received £65 million in legacies and £36 million in donations.

Details for all UK Charities can be found free at http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/index.asp

The RSPCA is Charity Number 219099

Basically in 2008 they received £65 million in legacies and £36 million in donations.

That's neat. Can we find out how much the MSPCA gets?

Archived