Religion And Morality

Moghrey Mie

Tony Blair likes to portray himself as religious and devout.

I wonder how he squares that with the fact that he wrote a secret and personal letter to his attorney general, Lord Goldsmith demanding that he stop the investigations into BAE arms deals with Saudi Arabia. BAE were in fact paying huge sums in secret commissions including £30 million per quarter to Prince Bandar.

How can you claim superior morality while supplying weapons to other countries and trying to stop investigations by the Serious Fraud Office?

Moghrey Mie - Do YOU believe that a Christian has superior morals simply for being Christian? Christians don't necessarily have a better morality than anyone else, and if they REALLY did think that God is right in the decisions he has and could make then they would have extremely bad morals. I don't really know what you'd expect of Blair because of his religion.

Moghrey Mie - Do YOU believe that a Christian has superior morals simply for being Christian? Christians don't necessarily have a better morality than anyone else, and if they REALLY did think that God is right in the decisions he has and could make then they would have extremely bad morals. I don't really know what you'd expect of Blair because of his religion.

No I don't but Christians often imply they have higher morals than atheists like me.

I just wonder how a Christian who parades his faith like Blair can feel it is right to wage war, condone arms deals and put pressure on others such as the attorney general not to reveal the truth about what was going on with BAE.

No I don't but Christians often imply they have higher morals than atheists like me.

I just wonder how a Christian who parades his faith like Blair can feel it is right to wage war, condone arms deals and put pressure on others such as the attorney general not to reveal the truth about what was going on with BAE.

Her may parade his faith, but HE hasn't said he has better morals. Just because some Christians you have met claim to have better morals doesn't mean that all Christians do. It is quite obvious that a person's religion is a limited guide to determining their moral character. At best you can only say they probably have a particular set of morals.

I don't for one minute think a religious person is more likely to have better morals, in fact, quite the opposite. Although if the Bible were any rulebook to morality that was strictly adhered to then you'd find Christians to be highly immoral. But I don't think most Christians really do accept a lot of what is in the Bible. They can't, because their morals are far better than that of their God's.

Archived