Religion And Morality

Moghrey Mie

It seems that politics and religion are uneasy bedfellows, neither can be mixed by the look of things as there are so many crossroads, twists and turns which lead to unfavourable consequences. I don't think it is possible for a religious person to hold political office and observe every trait of his beliefs!

I disagree, religion and politics (as properly defined) would show tnat they are very good bedfellows. Religion is highly political. For instance, Christianity preaches about how people should life, what they should do, what should be accepted, etc. The problem for me is rather one where, nevermind accepting to have rulers, the decisions are made on the basis of or influenced by blind faith.

Why would you want irrational thinkers to make decisions for you and about you?

Are you saying people who don't follow any religion are not rational?

Not at all. But those who have belief in things on the basis of nothing more than faith are most certainly not rational thinkers. By declaring yourself to be religious you already declare yourself to leave rational thinking behind to whatever extent. If people are making decisions in governments on the basis on beliefs that have no evidence or proof behind them then that is a problem because most would want politicians to make decisions on the basis of evidence and good reasoning.

Tony Blair likes to portray himself as religious and devout.

I'm so glad he converted to Catholicism as if he strictly believes in the tenets of the Catholic church he knows he's going to burn in hell for the lies he told and the deaths he caused. He's just a smug prick.

He will probably meet the majority of the higher archy of the Catholic Church there and many of its priests for the involvement or cover up of abuse. Shame I do not believe in hell as I quite liked the idea of the eternal torment for Catholic Priests was to be 8 and 1/2 months pregnant as per "Old Harry's Game"

I wonder how he squares that with the fact that he wrote a secret and personal letter to his attorney general, Lord Goldsmith demanding that he stop the investigations into BAE arms deals with Saudi Arabia. BAE were in fact paying huge sums in secret commissions including £30 million per quarter to Prince Bandar.

How can you claim superior morality while supplying weapons to other countries and trying to stop investigations by the Serious Fraud Office?

He's a politician. That means he has no comprehension whatsover of morality as a fixed and abiding set of rules.

To the skilled politician morality is a flexible tool which you use every time you open your mouth, to convince otherwise sensible people of your sincerity on any subject under the sun. I believe the idea began a few hundred years back in a place called Greece with a man called Janus. It's been down hill ever since.

I wonder how he squares that with the fact that he wrote a secret and personal letter to his attorney general, Lord Goldsmith demanding that he stop the investigations into BAE arms deals with Saudi Arabia. BAE were in fact paying huge sums in secret commissions including £30 million per quarter to Prince Bandar.

How can you claim superior morality while supplying weapons to other countries and trying to stop investigations by the Serious Fraud Office?

He's a politician. That means he has no comprehension whatsover of morality as a fixed and abiding set of rules.

To the skilled politician morality is a flexible tool which you use every time you open your mouth, to convince otherwise sensible people of your sincerity on any subject under the sun. I believe the idea began a few hundred years back in a place called Greece with a man called Janus. It's been down hill ever since.

A politician and a lawyer - double whammy

Archived