Tynwald Today

FCMR

I would have to say after listening to the Tynwald today, what a load of ignorant tossers most of the MHKs are, every time Peter Karran spoke he got jeered, the <deleted by mod> was the worst, dont know her name. But its nice to see that Peter carried on with his work regardless, he may be a poor speechmaster but he gets his point out, may I also say thank god we have a Queens Governor, without this one we would be getting stitched up at every turn. Gelling did his best to get out of the Mount Murry scam, he failed I thought.

This Government has lost its way big time, but what can we do, how much further will we be sucked into the S**t.

Edited by ans: Is it really necessary to include childish personal abuse of MHKs that aren't in a position to defend themselves on here? Grow up please.

Further to the above, Gelling attacked Mr Jessop the man behind the Tynwald watch, he said he was a bitty person, the Man Director of the firm behind the failed attempt to refurbish the Port Soderick at a cost of £500k, Mind you Gelling did say that Mr Jessop did not get a Grant towards Port Soderick. So thats why Mr Jessop wanted to be an MHK, so he could joint the Grant Aid Club

I can remember going to Port Soderick years ago, it used to be great on a Friday night. The place was mobbed every week because popular local band, Black Mass, played there. I think it must be the change in attitude towards drink driving that marked its downfall. We used to go down there, get tanked up, then race along the Marine Drive to finish the night off at the Lido. Those were the days! :D

We had an illegal rave there at the end of the 80's when the acid house scene was kicking off.

But we didn't have any acid house music so we listened to the Velvet Underground instead, but then someone said the Police were coming so we all hid and when we realised it was a hoax someone had nicked the stereo - so we went home. And that is why dance music never caught on in the Isle of Man.

Used to be a great venue for live bands, mind you, back then there used to be quite a few bands playing around the town, come to think of it several of the places are no longer there. Christ, that makes me feel old :(

The place was mobbed every week because popular local band, Black Mass, played there.

O M G !!!!!

Black Mass!!!

Can't say I was quite old enough to remember them at Port Soderick - was more of a Head and Glen chick meself!

I think it must be the change in attitude towards drink driving that marked its downfall.

As in loads of manx pubs who over time became houses/restaurants.

Those pesky folks huh, who after expecting folk to be sober, wanted them to put seat belts on too!

(Vague memories, obviously! :D )

mind you, back then there used to be quite a few bands playing around the town, come to think of it several of the places are no longer there. Christ, that makes me feel old :(

I'd say the scene and the oportunities for bands to play gigs, record their own music, promote themselves, interact with other musicians and find a responsive audience on the Island are better now than at any time I can recall.

I'd say the scene and the oportunities for bands to play gigs, record their own music, promote themselves, interact with other musicians and find a responsive audience on the Island are better now than at any time I can recall.

You're possibly right about the recording aspect Declan. There always seemed to be places for bands to play, but thinking about it there was probably not as many local bands around in the 70's & 80's. They still played to decent sized audiences though.

There were larger venues then as well I think, ie, the Lido, Douglas Head, Port Soderick etc.

Managed to catch a couple of bands during TT week, not really my bag I must say, but good to see live music being played and appreciated nonetheless.

Possibly, Jay, but I did say than at any time that I can recall. And I can only recall from about 1987. I certainly don't remember the Douglas being as packed back then as it was last Saturday.

The Venue's pretty big though, but I think with the Traf, the Douglas, the Office all having live music every weekend night - and many others having gigs regularly it seems more lively than I remember.

Yep, totally agree with the above.

The Venue's pretty big though, but I think with the Traf, the Douglas, the Office all having live music every weekend night - and many others having gigs regularly it seems more lively than I remember.

And a good thing too, I've always preferred a live sound and I've heard some quite impressive stuff played at the Cul-de-Sac when I used to pop in there from time to time a year or so ago.

I was getting a touch nostalgic, thinking about the Lido etc, reminds me of the "big name" bands that played over here, Status Quo, Queen, Slade, Mott The Hoople (I think the best live act I saw)........I guess now you will have realised why I don't get about to places like the Douglas on Saturday night, if it gets as packed as you say, I reckon my zimmer frame may cause a few problems! ;)

Archived