Cut Working Week To 21 Hours

gazza

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i reckon some people wouldn't know what to do with the extra free time

prob end up in the pub,

Theres one thing it prob make a lot more jobs, because they would have to employ 2 for the one job,

so 1 person doing mon tue wed, then the other staff doing thurs fri sat.

still its a load of bollocks that there is no way that if working hours were cut in half that you be more productive that would make up the same amount of work for 40 hours a week.

How about a three day weekend Saturday, Sunday and your own choice of one other day off?

The more I read the article the more I think it is a stupid answer to sorting out the problem of people working 9-5 (and more!) five days a week by proposing they work less on the same pay rates. It's impractical. Some think tank. It's a way of trying to make changes to the labour market without remedying the problems that lead people into servitude for so long. Still the problem remains of people working too much, and for too little.

Interestingly. in the 1930s W K Kellog Company in the US tried something of the sort. WKK held the view that "the crowning achievement of capitalism was leisure time, not economic growth without end". He gave his workers 35hrs pay for a 30 hour week, built parks, summer camps, nature centres, garden plots, sports fields, etc. for them. The plan immediately created 400 new jobs and productivity rose so rapidly that inside 2 years Kellogs could pay their workers for a 30-hour week what they had once paid them for a 40-hour week. This system did not disappear until the mid-eighties when the cost of benefits (which had assumed a major part of remuneration packages) were judged to have become too expensive and hence it made sense to hire fewer workers and work them longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to work 21 hrs per week instead of 35hrs :rolleyes: unfortunately even working full-time most people struggle to get by :o that's life i suppose there are people in much worse circumstances so am quite happy really with my lot in life :D

If house prices had stayed in line with current earnings, and houses had been seen as homes instead of investments, and all that not caused the credit crunch - and if child minding costs were linked with reality - the chances are most people would only need to work 21 hours, or not much more.

I would love to work 21 hrs per week instead of 35hrs :rolleyes: unfortunately even working full-time most people struggle to get by :o that's life i suppose there are people in much worse circumstances so am quite happy really with my lot in life :D

Did you get a new job then AMW ?

Did you get a new job then AMW ?

Sorry i dont understand ? what do you mean?

i reckon some people wouldn't know what to do with the extra free time
Out of having never had it before or because they have no interests or imagination?

I would have plenty to do, i love painting and outdoor activites but never had the time :rolleyes:

i actually do a 4 day week at the moment, the uk company i work for changed the practices to reduce the cost in the quieter winter period.

There has been a reduction in pay but the experience has focussed my attention more towards the Life aspect of Work/Life balance. its nice to be able to go to the bank, shop and clean the house on a friday before having a weekend to do exactly what you want i recommend it.

Archived