More Taxi Licences For Douglas

Paul H

Back in November, following the Douglas Taxi protest during rush hour, I went to the Manx Taxi Federation and the Road Transport Licensing Committee with a solution to thier problems.

I suggested that if the Taxi Federation were opposed to the issuing of new licenses then perhaps letting exisitng taxis from around the island pick up fares if they were in the Douglas area and it was busy could help them to meet with demand and provide a better service?

Result: Manx Taxi Federation Objected; Licensing Committee refused my application; 12 new licences issued for the Douglas area; Douglas Drivers planning another protest.

New licenses granted to a woman who is a full time civil servant, a man who is a full time ambulance driver, a man who recently had a heart by-pass and another man who hardly speaks any English. Not to mention the man who in recent years has SOLD two taxi licenses only to find he has now been granted two more!

Meanwhile I am a fully licenced, VAT registered, ten year established Manx family run taxi business proprietor who tries bloody hard to improve the taxi industry. Where does it get you? F**k'em all...

Paul H

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meanwhile I am a fully licenced, VAT registered, ten year established Manx family run taxi business proprietor who tries bloody hard to improve the taxi industry.  Where does it get you? F**k'em all...

Paul H

Driving a taxi isn't rocket science. Apart from being able to find some of the more obscure areas of Dandara developments, I'm sure most people here could drive a taxi in their sleep. How is it that van drivers are paid a pittance, but fat sweaty blokes who drive cars can get away with charging over a tenner for a 15 min trip? And then expect a tip. :(

The more taxis on the roads, the better. If people could get a cab after midnight on a Friday night without waiting up to and over an hour, then there would be less trouble on Douglas prom, and less drink-driving.

i recently waited at the 'new' taxi stand moved from outside the sefton to outside the villa marina for 45 minutes - not one taxi came to the stand. myself and the other 3 members of the public had to call a taxi to come and pick us up, which in turn took 20 minutes. what is the point of a taxi stand if no taxi's stop there? so my point...with 10 more taxi's on the road and i may not have to wait 45 minutes for a taxi!!

i recently waited at the 'new' taxi stand moved from outside the sefton to outside the villa marina for 45 minutes - not one taxi came to the stand.  myself and the other 3 members of the public had to call a taxi to come and pick us up, which in turn took 20 minutes.  what is the point of a taxi stand if no taxi's stop there?  so my point...with 10 more taxi's on the road and i may not have to wait 45 minutes for a taxi!!

I totaly agree, more taxis available is a good thing. I hear the fat sweaty blokes complaining that trade is down and people are not going out anymore. I wonder how many of them have stopped to wonder could it be because you can't get a taxi???

I know that taxi driving isn't rocket science, but to the majority of Douglas taxi drivers it might as well be!!!

Paul H

I suggested that if the Taxi Federation were opposed to the issuing of new licenses then perhaps letting exisitng taxis from around the island pick up fares if they were in the Douglas area and it was busy could help them to meet with demand and provide a better service?

Wouldn't this result in a large number of Taxis simply operating in Douglas as I would imagine the number of fares (and hence money) available is higher there? That would be a detriment to the other towns.

The Taxi situation is pretty ridiculous in Douglas at peak times, but if you think about it, there is probably no answer as if they had enough to cope with peak demand, there would be too many sitting around in the off peak hours. It's difficult to strike an even balance I imagine.

Would it be realistic to issue a limited licence that would only allow operators to drive between certain hours? That would alleviate the demand on weekend nights by allowing the guys with full time jobs to do the extra work while not impacting on the trade needed by the guys who taxi for a living. You could make the licence plate a different colour to make them easily spotted and punished if they operate during other hours.

It's easy to think logically when you're sober though. It's even easier to think 'Sodding lazy fat greasy taxi drivers' when you're drunk, wet through and clutching your semi warm kebab at 3.30am and you want to home.

Wouldn't this result in a large number of Taxis simply operating in Douglas as I would imagine the number of fares (and hence money) available is higher there? That would be a detriment to the other towns.

The Taxi situation is pretty ridiculous in Douglas at peak times, but if you think about it, there is probably no answer as if they had enough to cope with peak demand, there would be too many sitting around in the off peak hours. It's difficult to strike an even balance I imagine.

There are currently over 50 taxis licensed for only the airport, so on a Friday night after the airport closes most of these perfectly able taxis and their willing drivers are denied the possibility of providing extra cover for the Douglas area.

Meanwile if I drive my taxi into Douglas with a fare and drop off on the prom with half an hour to spare until by next booking, it doesn't matter if there are a thousand people standing freezing cold having tried for an hour to get a taxi, the regulatioins say I can do nothing about it. I want to pick people up, but they won't let me, it is illegal. No matter how much the public plead and shout I daren't pick them up because if I am seen the Douglas taxi drivers will report me and I will risk loosing my licence. I know because in 1998 I found myself brought before the courts charged with doing just that.

Thankfully I had a good lawyer and the case was thrown out, but it was a lucky escape. Two days in court and a big lawyers bill just for (alledgedly) a £4.50 run to pulrose. And yes, the b**tard who reported me was one of the objectors to my recent licence application.

Douglas taxi drivers think they own the rights to working in Douglas. They also seem to think they have the right to dictate to everyone who owns a taxi what they can and cannot do.

The Douglas taxi driver is responsible for in my opinion causing a poor quality of service to the island's capital. They give other taxi drivers a bad name. They overcharge and influence control over the rate our taximeters run at. They pressure governents into controling the number of licenses to create a monopoly situation that is unhealthy for our business and affects other industries as a result.

A lot of people worry that if taxis from outside Douglas were able to ply for trade in Douglas it would cause a shorfall in surrounding areas. Trust me, taxi companies around the island think more of thier local customers than Douglas ones do, furthermore they appreciate thier customers and provide a SERVICE that if they were to neglect would result in a turn down in thier business, like what is happening in Douglas for example?

The Douglas taxi driver is responsible for in my opinion causing a poor quality of service to the island's capital

Some of them, yes

They give other taxi drivers a bad name.

Also true.

They overcharge and influence control over the rate our taximeters run at.

Isn't there an 'independent' authority that sets and overess the fees?

Personally, I feel that, as it's such a small place, there should be:-

1) One overall regulatory authority

2) Taxi Fares kept low (within reason)

3) More Taxis

4) ALL taxis allowed to set down and pick up ANYWHERE on the Island

Maybe the decent cabbies could seek the support of the Police. After all, it's in their interests to have the streets cleared as quickly as possible. Plenty of taxis charging reasonable fares might help to reduce the incidence of drunk driving.

From a personal view, I think fares are way too high. However, I am sure that if I was a driver, I would probably feel that they were way too low, and no compensation for drunks throwing up in you cab, burning the seat with ciggies etc., and running off without paying fares.

The high fares have definitely 'moulded' my social life in recent years. A night out is much more likely to be a night in with friends these days.

The Douglas taxi driver is responsible for in my opinion causing a poor quality of service to the island's capital

Some of them, yes

They give other taxi drivers a bad name.

Also true.

They overcharge and influence control over the rate our taximeters run at.

Isn't there an 'independent' authority that sets and overess the fees?

Personally, I feel that, as it's such a small place, there should be:-

1) One overall regulatory authority

2) Taxi Fares kept low (within reason)

3) More Taxis

4) ALL taxis allowed to set down and pick up ANYWHERE on the Island

Maybe the decent cabbies could seek the support of the Police. After all, it's in their interests to have the streets cleared as quickly as possible. Plenty of taxis charging reasonable fares might help to reduce the incidence of drunk driving.

From a personal view, I think fares are way too high. However, I am sure that if I was a driver, I would probably feel that they were way too low, and no compensation for drunks throwing up in you cab, burning the seat with ciggies etc., and running off without paying fares.

The high fares have definitely 'moulded' my social life in recent years. A night out is much more likely to be a night in with friends these days.

Since 2001 under new legislation there is one regulatory body responsible for the running of taxis on the island as oposed to the previous arrangement that allowed local government to regulate the taxi industry for thier area.

You see, once upon a time someone in government stood up to the taxi drivers and forced the 2001 Road Transport Act through Tynwald. The plan was to do away with local licensing, introduce one committee (known as the Road Transport Licensing Committee) and ultimatley remove the boundries and the numbers restricting taxis from plying for trade anywhere on the island.

So, what went wrong you ask? The Cheif Minister selected the new committee consisting of, yes you guesed it... Local Government members and the previous Road Traffic Commissioners. Also before the bill was passed a little clause called schedule 2 was added which ment that little could change until April 2007 and then only if approved by Tynwald.

In actual fact the new committee already has the power to do pretty much anything it wants but is too affraid to because the Manx Taxi Federation pay thousands of pounds to lawyers to appeal against any decision that the committee makes.

The committee also takes into consideration the views of taxi drivers each year on what the fare increases should be.

It is interesting to look at the fare structure and note that the first 8 Kilometers of your journey is the most expensive part. This particulary benefits taxi drivers who like to do only short runs, hence have you ever tried to get a taxi to go out of town at the weekends? Or wondered why it cost you six quid only to go across the prommenade but only £18.00 to go as far as Peel?

Oh, sorry for saying that "The Douglas taxi driver is responsible for in my opinion causing a poor quality of service to the island's capital" you are quite right, it is only some of them. But I don't see the good ones standing up and doing anything about them!

Paul H

I might have to re-read this...it would appear that Ans gave a normal non-sarcastic (forgive my grammar) reply to a post.

And defending taxi drivers too! What's come over me.

I've no idea but I'll bet it's only a temporary aberration!

I thought Mr H's comment re looking after his customers was a very valid one. The number of posts complaining about waiting for a late night cab in Douglas tells me that there simply aren't enough of them. It also tells me that the average Douglas cabbie doesn't give a sh1t about his customers because he has a very nice monopoly which makes them captive thank you very much indeedy! So like cattle they can stand around in the weather waiting for one of these money-grabbing worthies to put in an appearance. The cabbies also seem to be falling into the monopoly trap of over-pricing a crap service which drives custom away. If they weren't so greedy they would not kick up such a fuss about more licenses being issued to ease the waiting time of their "valued" customers. Although the recent license distribution would seem to leave a lot to be desired.

Trust the IOM gov to turn the relatively simple into a total cockup.

-

I think the main reason for the Douglas Taxi drivers complaining is only being spoken about behind closed doors and that is that they're worried about losing out on the thousands off pounds, ( I believe anything from £20,000 + for some ), that They have paid out for a £10 plate.

If all plates were sold at the Face Value instead off the vast price the actually changed hands for then I might have some sympathy.

As it stands it's the Plate owners who are whinging, not the poor sod that drives for them whilst the sit back and take a cut. Maybe if most Plate owners got of their fat arses and pulled their weight then people wouldn't be saying that more cabs are needed.

I think the main reason for the Douglas Taxi drivers complaining is only being spoken about behind closed doors and that is that they're worried about losing out on the thousands off pounds, ( I believe anything from £20,000 + for some ), that They have paid out for a £10 plate.

If all plates were sold at the Face Value instead off the vast price the actually changed hands for then I might have some sympathy.

As it stands it's the Plate owners who are whinging, not the poor sod that drives for them whilst the sit back and take a cut.  Maybe if most Plate owners got of their fat arses and pulled their weight then people wouldn't be saying that more cabs are needed.

You have hit the nail right on the head! A taxi plate in the Douglas area changes hands for anything up to £50,000 !!! and that does not include the car itself!!!

Just like people invest in property to secure a second income or retirement pension they have been 'buying' taxi plates. By limiting the number of licenses the transfer value of a plate has risen from £20,000 to todays prices in less than ten years. Meanwhile the plate owner need never drive the taxi as he/she can rent it out to drivers who cannot afford to buy one for over £300 per week, per driver! The only thing the plate owner need do is maintain the cars annual test certificate and make sure the tax/insurance is current. They don't even pay for the fuel!

The general arrangement for a taxi driver is to either hand over a fixed rent per week (which is illegal and no one of them will admit to doing in fear of losing thier job), or hand over 50% of thier takings after fuel to the taxi owner.

In other words, if taxis were owned by thier drivers and the plates only cost face value (£45.00 per annum) you could expect to see prices fall considerably as 50% of each fare won't be going to the investor or in bank repayments.

There are people in Douglas including until recently a certain MHK who own more than one taxi plate. Not a bad income for sitting on your ar*se!

I agree that there are people who have borrowed a lot of money to buy their own taxi and they are concerned about increased competition. However, if you invest in something there is always a risk. Just like buying a property, values can go up as well as down. Could you imagine the Government stepping in to help anyone who has lost money on buying and selling a house? No. Nor would you expect the Government to help if you bought a hardware shop and complained that B&Q were taking all your business.

The long and short of it is that a Douglas Taxi Driver sees his taxi as an investment and not a business to supply a service to the consumer.

Archived