Property Prices

taz8130

A few years? Hardly an exodus.

Did anyone say it is an exodus - apart from you?

Many move to my part of the Island and leave after some years. When one partner dies the other often moves back to the UK to be close to family, or when old age is on the horizon a move is made to somewhere smaller and warmer.

If leaving means no contact with miserable buggers like yourself, weather such as we have this week, crap service and the carbuncle known as Ramsey then yes, I'm glad to leave.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm not going to quantify exodus but,

What I do know is that many are leaving the Island.

Your words.

If leaving means no contact with miserable buggers like yourself, weather such as we have this week, crap service and the carbuncle known as Ramsey then yes, I'm glad to leave.

You're the miserable one, constantly sniping. I like the Isle of Man, and I like living here. And I like Ramsey. So I'll be glad for you to leave as well.

If you don't need to access the money anytime soon why not just go for the new National Savings Certificates which will pay 0.5% above UK RPI which is currently 5.3% and showing no signs of any major downward change.

But aren't this lot owned by an Irish bank?

You mean the british government.

Many move to my part of the Island and leave after some years. When one partner dies the other often moves back to the UK to be close to family, or when old age is on the horizon a move is made to somewhere smaller and warmer.

Ramsey! Where there are so many boarded up shops the window cleaners use sandpaper (They...are..er ..Irish window cleaners)

Good luck with Barclays! Hopeless and criminal springs to mind where the handling of my savings account is concerned!!!

So far all I can say is that they are just not interested, impossible to contact the right people on the phone.

You must be joking - I dare not answer the phone because of Barclays financial advisers calling and after reading that you believe NS&I are owned by the Irish Government I doubt that you know anything at all about the financial world.

Ramsey! Where there are so many boarded up shops the window cleaners use sandpaper (They...are..er ..Irish window cleaners)

Well you are the expert on cleaning Barry having held many positions in the industry.

and after reading that you believe NS&I are owned by the Irish Government I doubt that you know anything at all about the financial world.

He's right, you're the bell end Barrie

http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/finance/savings-investments/faqs-deposit-protection-schemes

The Bank of Ireland partner a lot of the post offices products. It was a general comment not specifically on NS&I

and after reading that you believe NS&I are owned by the Irish Government I doubt that you know anything at all about the financial world.

He's right, you're the bell end Barrie SJR

http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/finance/savings-investments/faqs-deposit-protection-schemes

The Bank of Ireland partner a lot of the post offices products. It was a general comment not specifically on NS&I

Sorted

Back to house prices and has anyone seen the flats for sale as you get off the boat in Liverpool, developer offering to pay deposits as well. Then look at the flats here and their prices and you have to think the prices here have a bit to go down yet.

As far as I can see there was a massive jump in 06/07 which we are now seeing unwinding, unless you were unlucky enough to buy at that time I think everything will settle down over the next couple of years.

What GD4ELI is saying about 20% in Glen Auldyn is correct and they have a bit to go yet IMO. There is no reason for the islands average property price to be about 100K above the UKs for a typical 4 bed new house on an executive estate that I can see.

He's right, you're the bell end Barrie SJR

Sorted

Hang on a second I was making a comment on GD4ELI and since when were the Post Office and NS&I ever linked ?

There is no reason for the islands average property price to be about 100K above the UKs for a typical 4 bed new house on an executive estate that I can see.

Well the fact that the UK has some very depressed areas with ultra low property prices dragging the national average down might be one reason.

Back to house prices and has anyone seen the flats for sale as you get off the boat in Liverpool, developer offering to pay deposits as well. Then look at the flats here and their prices and you have to think the prices here have a bit to go down yet.

How are those prices relevant to our market in any way? Go to the centre of London and you'll see flats for a million quid, so what?

What GD4ELI is saying about 20% in Glen Auldyn is correct and they have a bit to go yet IMO. There is no reason for the islands average property price to be about 100K above the UKs for a typical 4 bed new house on an executive estate that I can see.

Apart from the smaller market with fewer properties but affluent buyers pushing the price up, low unemployment, low tax, no cg so favorable to investors and mortgage tax relief...

There is no reason for the islands average property price to be about 100K above the UKs for a typical 4 bed new house on an executive estate that I can see.

Well the fact that the UK has some very depressed areas with ultra low property prices dragging the national average down might be one reason.

Note the word AVERAGE in my post, there are lots of places in the UK that make the island look cheap too.

How are those prices relevant to our market in any way? Go to the centre of London and you'll see flats for a million quid, so what?

The UK Gov has more effect on our taxes (VAT and NI) etc than our own one for a start and add in that we are sharing a currency, interest rates and close proximity with them I would say makes the comparison quite valid.

I would not compare house prices here to those in France, for example, for the same reasons.

Go to a rough part of Liverpool and you can buy for less than 20k, thats what, it is AVERAGE I was talking about.

Hang on a second I was making a comment on GD4ELI and since when were the Post Office and NS&I ever linked ?

The Post Office was and still is the agent, if in doubt pop in and ask.

Archived