Villa Marina Entertainment

Deejay Denzel

Who is in charge of entertainment at the Villa Marina? to be honest with you it seems the complex is aimed at the over 50's. Apart from the Cinema and the kids play area... what do we get, well here is a list of forthcoming "entertainment" in a complex that is designed for the people of the Isle of Man:

New Salsa, Meringue, Swing and Tango dancing

Engelbert in Concert

Isle of Man Teachers Choir

The Magic of Ireland

Tony Christie in Concert

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra

Warrington Male Voice Choir

I don't know about you but I can't name anyone 20 years either side of my age that would go to any of these events.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that self defeating? If you support the stuff they have on now for the older resident like yourself, you make them think they're providing what the people want.

You're right though, most of those events will be sold out. The Island could do with a decent large concert venue for bands, comedians etc. Nobody decent is going to want to play somewhere the size of the Venue.

Yes, but as Denzil points out, they only seem to book acts to cater for the older resident. Given the cost of getting off the Island to see acts, it's a great shame they dont seem to look towards the younger market.

Doing a bit of very rough guesswork from the 2001 census figures, if you take away the approx 16,000 people who are under 18 from the 76,000 people here, that leaves 60,000 people to appeal to in terms of putting do's on in licenced premises.

Only approximately 11,000 of them are between 18 and 30, that's a a bare sixth of your potential public, even between 18 and 40 you're round about 20,000 of the population - still only a third of the adult population. Not really the majority, is it?

I'm not talking per head of population, i'm talking about the outgoing public. This venue was mean't to be for everyone and I don't see a lot happening. Some good bands, a good cabaret show once in a while, comedy acts, tv show tours, audiences with... you name it and it ain't there. For christs sake I would even like to see the likes of something that we remember... the grumbleweeds aren't out of the question!

I have a few issues with the Villa Complex. They take ages to answer the phone, mostly I give up and end up missing things. The Dragons Castle place is £3.50, my son is 14 months old, £3.50 for a 10 minute play seems a little steep. You cannot book it for a wedding next summer (I asked last August) because it is all booked for a Chess Championship - great stuff.

It is such a great building, full of lovely things. Its a great shame the people who work there do not know about the statue (the Marina one by the same sculptor as did the 'thingy' at the airport, Bryan Kneale). I am fond of the pictures around the top balconies.

I think they have quite a varied range of entertainment things for people of all ages. Just a pity you cannot ever get through to buy tickets for anything!

yes but a good 30,000 people don't get out of the house due to being so old they can't go very far without weeing themselves, or are situated in laxey bus stops to make the place look populated

Tut tut, you might still grow old enough for those endless nights on Red Bull and alcopops to wear out the valve on your water works, young man!

Anyway, I know quite close to home where there are folks who, for whatever reason are normally confined to home will make special arrangements to go to events on at the Gaiety or the Villa to listen to the Halle Orchestra or suchlike.

I think if my bucket statistics lesson didn't suffice, Slim illustrated it nicely, it takes a bombshell of an event to attract a good section of the younger public because (it seems) their tastes are all rather divided, the older generation seem more, er, grateful for whatever they get. It makes more business sense to cater for an audience that might actually turn up!

Slim illustrated it nicely, it takes a bombshell of an event to attract a good section of the younger public because (it seems) their tastes are all rather divided, the older generation seem more, er, grateful for whatever they get.

That's a good point though. First there is the main divide of live music lovers and dance music lovers, even then you get divides in those as to music tastes, etc. A lot of the bands that have been brought over I havn't gone to see simply because I don't want to see them and I'd prefer to to go across if it meant seeing someone I'm rarely likely to see here. That and I never get off the Island so it's nice for a change.

But still, there is a large difference of opinion when it comes to the music scene. Although from the sounds of it the dance nights always seem to sell out so maybe they should think about promoting them more just to raise the Islands profile a bit. But then again they wouldn't want to do that would they.

:huh: If we don't use something often enough, we lose it. Take a look at pubs, cinemas and restraunts that have disapeared over the years and then look at the Hotels, guest houses and other venues of entertainment that have gone.

The fact is that what we regard as 'entertainment' has changed. Why make the effort to go to the Villa Marina to watch some 'has been' singer that you can see anytime you want in the comfort of your own living room on your 60" plasma screen with suround sound digital dolby 'c', while relaxing in your massive soft leather arm chair and downing beer at half the price from the off license? You don't have to go out, drive, try to catch a bus, or find a parking space within a mile of the Villa, walk, get cold and wet. You don't have to be robbed for a taxi home afterwards and if you want something to eat you can enjoy better food prepared in your own kitchen than available from the handful of burger bars that are the only food retailers open at the end of the show.

Who ever it is booking the 'entertainment' at the Villa must realise that if it is to continue we need real entertainment that will cause people to make the effort to go out. If the entertainment is good, people will make an effort, and whatsmore, they are prepared to pay well for it. What is better, a couple of hundred people paying £10 a ticket to see a 1970's one hit wonder, and wondering why they bothered, Or a capacity audience paying £50 a ticket to see a real night out and looking forward to the next time?

They arn't afraid to risk money else where, why don't they try to put something back to the people and see if it works? (Answer: Because they don't have to) <_<

Archived