Tax Cheats Jailed

manshimajin

News today that a Northern Ireland couple have been fined £4 million and jailed 2.5 and 3.5 years. According to RTE reports, much of the money was put in 'off-shore bank accounts on the Isle of Man'. Their 12,000 sq.ft. house was named Ard na Ri - King of the Hill.

Sort of folk who give this place a bad name. Does this indicate that the information exchange with the UK is working well?

News today that a Northern Ireland couple have been fined £4 million and jailed 2.5 and 3.5 years. According to RTE reports, much of the money was put in 'off-shore bank accounts on the Isle of Man'. Their 12,000 sq.ft. house was named Ard na Ri - King of the Hill.

Sort of folk who give this place a bad name. Does this indicate that the information exchange with the UK is working well?

I'd say so!

It also indicates(Along with other factors) that we're not a safe place to invest anymore :)

It also indicates(Along with other factors) that we're not a safe place to invest anymore :)

I hope it means what you say but with the word 'illegally' between 'invest' and 'anymore'.

Thanks for that. They are stupid and greedy people.

I wonder which bank/bank officer on the Island was condoning not telling HMRC about their money on video!? TBH I reckon he should be identified, not have his identity protected, and banned from undertaking financial services activities (that is if he has not been dealt with already). This sort of thing really feeds into the UK's perceptions of dishonesty in our banking system.

To be honest if they were sticking tax returns in for less than £30000 a year then build that big house quastions are going to be asked.

if they had said they earn 100k then noboody would prob have bat an eye at them.

greed gets the better of us all

I'd say so!

Do you think so?

I hope it means what you say but with the word 'illegally' between 'invest' and 'anymore'.

It is nothing to do with an investment in the IoM having been illegal. Anyone in the UK is quite free to deposit funds or otherwise invest on the IoM. The illegal part is where you are required by UK Law to return all your income/assets to HMRC and deliberately do not. That obligation rests with the taxpayer, not the Bank on the IoM or anyone else.

Thanks for that. They are stupid and greedy people.

I wonder which bank/bank officer on the Island was condoning not telling HMRC about their money on video!? TBH I reckon he should be identified, not have his identity protected, and banned from undertaking financial services activities (that is if he has not been dealt with already). This sort of thing really feeds into the UK's perceptions of dishonesty in our banking system.

From the previous thread on this http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37996-more-bad-press-again/

Yet another one breaks the surface.

Richard Murphy:

"Impossible, surely, for tax evaded funds to go to the Isle of Man? It’s too well regulated, I thought? Surely there’s some mistake in the reporting?"

Yeah yeah yeah...

With Richard Murphy banging his drum it's a little difficult to keep quiet...

Which bank took their money?

It is nothing to do with an investment in the IoM having been illegal. Anyone in the UK is quite free to deposit funds or otherwise invest on the IoM. The illegal part is where you are required by UK Law to return all your income/assets to HMRC and deliberately do not. That obligation rests with the taxpayer, not the Bank on the IoM or anyone else.

You make your point well MM but unfortunately I think you may be missing the point!

Surely an IOM bank officer advising UK domiciled clients not to say anything to the UK HMRC about the money they are investing on the Island is in breach of the EU Savings Directive and hopefully illegal in the eyes of the regulators here.

It is of course legal to deposit money here as long as the depositor complies with the law - and I would like to think - as long as the IOM institution also complies. I hope that this case does indicate that we are not a safe place to invest illegally anymore.

Am sure the IOM FSC (Financial Supervision Commission) will be interested in this, but without reading the FSC's entire website (rather watch Eastenders:) am not sure of the legal status. I know the regulations are very strict here. How embarrassing for the local bank caught in the act, don't like speculating but the guy sounds as Manx as the hills :unsure:

Am sure the IOM FSC (Financial Supervision Commission) will be interested in this, but without reading the FSC's entire website (rather watch Eastenders:) am not sure of the legal status. I know the regulations are very strict here. How embarrassing for the local bank caught in the act, don't like speculating but the guy sounds as Manx as the hills :unsure:

Presumably our regulator has chapter and verse on this from the court case. A very good way to demonstrate that we are serious about our 'reputation' is to take quick action - not to just talk the talk. A custodial sentence for the banker involved and a very big fine for the bank would send a BIG message.

Archived