Taking The Mickey

crumlin

From todays Manx Paper.

Last week Heron and Brearley Director Grant Paterson became the latest business boss to say income had been hit by a downturn in the construction industry.

This is the same Boss that has brought over cheap labour from Manchester to carry out refurbishment works to its Pubs. If he wants Manx Labour to spend money in his Pubs then he should employ manx Builders/subcontractors so they can afford to pay the high cost of beer here.

What would you rather happen?

Well, free beer would be good for a start.

Although a foreign worker is going to cost less to employ (otherwise you wouldn't do it) in a way it doesn't do your economy any good. A proportion of their renumeration is going to move out of your economy to boost an economy elsewhere. For that reason I think you should always at least try and hire locally first.

The current joke in the UK press is the furore about immigrants and their effect on the economy. Of course, the press totally ignore the millions of EEC citizens who can stroll in at any time and legally get work because it simply isn't newsworthy.

-

Everyone wants something for nothing.... why should someone pay more out of loyalty? a lot of people can't afford to do that...

In a twisted sense if I save £100 on building work I will likely spend it on luxury items or going out etc - probably locally...

It's infuriating to watch money flood out of the country but there's not much anyone can do about it

Exactly Rhumsaa, it's consumer driven. If you were prepared to pay more for your pint, the brewery wouldn't have to go overseas for staff.

Like it or not, its a free market economy. We allow these things, and we also benefit greatly in return.

Bit wide of the mark Crumlin. ALL the major refurbishment on their pubs is carried out by Local Companies. Some of the fit out is done by UK Companies.

The Brewery has spent a lot of money with the local construction industry.

To the best of my knowledge the Brewery has used at least five local companies on major works over the past three years.

They have been a very good supporter of local industry.

How have H&B got permits to bring painters in from the UK when we have loads of painters out of work. If I wanted to bring a painter in from the UK, I have to make sure he is time served and that I have advertised for painters on the IOM for a period of time.

I paid the most I've ever paid today for a pint of Okells - £1.97... I seriously hope it doesn't go up to £2, that is silly. It wasn't even a nice pint, I think it was a dodgy barrel or something. Hmph.

That's because you broke the golden rule for spotting a bad pint. It comes from a pump marked "Okells".

ReMUNeration...unless you're renumbering something.

Thanks for that. I won't use a checker as I want to retain what grasp I have of the language. Hopefully I will continue to learn from my mistakes but I can only do that if they are pointed out to me.

It's a common one... good for you for eschewing the technology in order to keep your brain exercised - I do the same with mental arithmetic.

Unless it's a really hard one where I buy three items...

How have H&B got permits to bring painters in from the UK when we have loads of painters out of work. If I wanted to bring a painter in from the UK, I have to make sure he is time served and that I have advertised for painters on the IOM for a period of time.

If they are all out work how come they take weeks to come and give you a quote (thats if they turn up at all!).

If they are all out work how come they take weeks to come and give you a quote (thats if they turn up at all!).

A lot a men have been laid off in the past couple of months, mainly lads that are used to working for firms and dont want the hastle of being self employed.

Maybe you have not tried the right firms to get a quote.

Archived