Xko, What Is Happening There?

(Also people who have an MCSE and think they are worth 25K+ :) need to ground their feet in the real world!)

I sort of agree, buts its people who just have paper MCSEs and no experience. If someone really does know everything on an MCSE syllabus then they're good, but some /most of the MCSEs on the island just know everything thats on the exam.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got quite a few certs , but the way I look at it is, firms recognize certificates and pay for them, whether people like it or not. I can back them up with experience and expertise. The same can also be said for degrees, just because someone has a BSc in Computing doesn't mean they're 'good' at computers, it means they could study the syllabus and do the course-work. Firms still ask for degrees though.

The bloke who applies the latest Windows patch can get away with on the job training and will basically remain at that level. Like the guy who fixes the air conditioning. Perfectly respectable business.

The people who design your company's database, if you are lucky, will have once learned about data, in the abstract, and will fundamentally understand the purpose and implementation of methodologies for determining business rules and mapping data. They will know about different methods of modelling data. By - the - by (because they picked it up in their fun time) - they will probably also know to a good level a handful of programming languages, though it isn't even their job to ever write code beyond the pseudo - code stage.

I know several people in XKO and this appears to be the score:

All IOM operations used to be governed by the UK XKO Group. The offshore branches ended up making more money and thus out growing the UK mainland operations. The UK operation started to invest in other areas such as building companies and were not totally IT focused. The offshore operations put pressure on the UK operation to cut ties and go alone hense the sale. The sale was apparently initiated by XKO (not a take over bid) and XKO chose the buyer from several interested parties.

If you check the info and various reports on the 2e2 web site, they have a history of aquiring profitable companies, so rumours of finacial difficulty do not make sense. Also, rumours of asset stripping do not make sense. Everyone in XKO seems to have been told that jobs are safe for the long term. Also, who would pay over 13m for fresh air. 2e2 purchase profitable companies and leave them to get on with what they do. They even leave the identity of the companies intact. Some of the 2e2 group companies do not even mention 2e2 on their web sites. I would presume that XKO IOM will need to change their identity in order to cut ties with XKO in the UK.

I think it's very easy to be negative about these things and formulate ugly theories (more fun though.....), but in reality this seems like a possitive move for XKO IOM and I wish them luck.

There was also lots of negative hype surrounding the XKO purchase of Datacentre. Speaking to ex Datacentre staff, I think the whole thing could have been handled a bit better. However the alternative would have been a nightmare for DC staff (turning up to work to find doors were locked due to bank foreclosure). OK, some staff didn't apreciate the move and left but at least they had time to sort themselves out and move on. That sale was for just 1.7m (1m of which paid off bad debts). This sale is for over 13m and speaks for it's self if you look at it logically.

From my limited understanding of the purchase and sale of companies (which is pretty much none) I would assume that the vaule of it would be in some way based on the 'order book'

If an account were to sell their practice the vaule of the practice would be based on x*current orders / repeat work.

So if I had £100 worth of orders I would ask for at least £100 for my practice, the normal practice would be 5 * 'order book', hence I would ask for £500 for the practice.

This is the way it normaly works, unless there is a sizeable debt involved (take the DC sale, circa £1m debt according the the above post) hence here we would assume (lets say for example) £1.50 in the pound for the order book, so the order book is worth £46666.66 (actual orders+contact value+freeport contacts+high potential sales)

Or we could say that because of the debt the buyer vaules the order book at £0.50 in the pound, hence actual value of same £1.4 m

Hang in there, I am going somewhere with this......................

XKO Offshore (IOM, Jer and Gue) has been sold for circa £13.5m (not the 13 and half quid as the orginal press release on 2e2 website)

And here is the bugger, that really needs thinking about............

XKO IOM (not XKO Offshore) had just signed a contact worth £20m

Draw your own conclusions

Archived