Xko, What Is Happening There?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If an account were to sell their practice the vaule of the practice would be based on x*current orders / repeat work.

So if I had £100 worth of orders I would ask for at least £100 for my practice, the normal practice would be 5 * 'order book', hence I would ask for £500 for the practice.

And here is the bugger, that really needs thinking about............

XKO IOM (not XKO Offshore) had just signed a contact worth £20m

Not far off, however you would base the purchase on 5 x earnings, not orderbook. The purchase is therefore linked to profit. If a company received orders worth 100k and none of the orders were profitable, you wouldn't expect the company to be worth 500k......

I would therefore expect that 13.5M represents somewhere in the region of 5 x yearly profit for all three offshore XKO branches ;)

In any case, the XKO news article clearly states that the £20M is spread over 5 years. We're not talking one huge order here and again, this is order value, not profit.

Mannin - I'm thinking on the same lines as Dangerboy. I can only assume that for some reason you feel bitter towards XKO in some way. Your comments all seem to be speculative and all very negative.

Maybe they could get waltons in to do the work?

ROTFPMSL - you are joking!!!!

Maybe you would buy a couple of cables from Waltons because it's something you need immediately & don't mind paying 3x what it would cost mail order and can't wait for it to be delivered?

Does anyone at Waltons have any high-end server experience? - I certainly wouldn't let anyone from there loose on a corporate sized system.

For all the slating I do of Waltons, I have to give them credit for having a socket 939 motherboard on the shelf last week that only cost £3 more than I could buy it for online. Certainly got me out of a hole quickly.

I agree though, I only use local shops for urgent stuff.

A good one was, an old women came in saying her computer had been hit by a virus, the Waltons chap said it would be £90 to fix - then went on too say "actually, it would be better if you bought a NEW computer" !!!

Tearz as witness.

I've overheard a few quite strange sales vs the retail public conversations in Waltons.

To be fair though - I've heard similar conversations in branches of PC World ... which I guess would be a vaguely reasonable retail comparison. Another shop which you only visit if you're in a hurry.

It must be very difficult selling Windows PCs to the public - and not wasting huge amounts of time. Most people want computers which just work. It would be better if these devices were designed such that people can't bugger them up. And they don't bugger themselves up either - or go wrong just by being connected. They can go on the internet, print a document using their favourite typeface and view the pictures from their camera.

I've a friend (in her 70s) - she has never had a problem with her various Macs over 20 years. She has never had a virus. She never loads new software. She uses her Macs for what she has bought them for. She has no interest in knowing about computers. She views the pictures from her video and stills camera, she goes on the internet etc.

Fridges and washing machines are a doddle by comparison. Imagine you're selling fridges and someone comes in:

"I've taken the back off it and I've managed to extract the cooling agent (here it is in these jars if that helps) but I'm still getting an error message when I switch it back on. And it's making a funny noise, sometimes. And all this water, stuff, everywhere."

Anyone running a Windows PC has to learn about Windows PCs. People running fridges and TVs don't. Most people don't need computers - they want computer based devices which just work. Most people don't want to know about computers - they just want to use them. The sooner such devices exist the better IMO.

Imagine if we all had to know how to keep our cars running and were required to update them every week or so.

The problem is that people don't make computer based devices which are finished and require no further attention. Everyone is so hooked into the idea of upgrades and the ability to load new software. This is the weakness.

Currently - Macs are a better option for anyone who doesn't want to spend the time knowing about computers. The problem with Windows based PCs is that anyone can make stuff which is supposed to be Windows compatible. For most people - it's really much better when the same company makes both the hardware and the software.

EDIT: then again - if Waltons were a reliable company then they'd advise some of their customers not to buy PCs from Waltons. They'd advise them to buy Macs direct. Rather like a travel agent who fails to tell you that a cheaper flight may be available on a particular route from an airline which they don't sell. So you go back to them for something else because they were honest.

Archived