What U Think?

djmarko

What does everyone think the future dance music will be like? here & UK?

Probably really sh*t if people continue to steal music with the attitude "....well everyone else does it..."

It was a shame to see the end of vinyl but why buy records when you can download them for free?

By the way have you got shares in Ableton? :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO i dont really think new tech. like the use of ableton will make much of a difference at all. I personally still use vinyl and in no way feel at all limited by just using vinyl, maybe its because i mainly play dnb and it is more suited to vinyl, (the scene still operates mainly on dubplate) but using vinyl IMO gives me much greater control of what I am doing gives me quick and easy ability to move fast and cut things up and pull things in and out on and off and try my best to be inventive and surprise who ever is listening. Anyone can learn to use the technology available or effects pads etc gen from my point of view loads of djs are trying to use the technology because it is what they are "supposed" to be doing and it is adding nothing at all to their set following all the other djs who also use technology instead of thinking, how can i make this interesting. basically for the majority of house and breaks djs (and i do listen to both of these genres as well) they seem to be using the tech. but not thinking what can i do with this tech. to make the crowd enjoy my set more. Renie pilgrim is a good example, i saw him last thrus and although the set was good and the tech. was good he perhaps could have been a bit more original in his selection or layered up some familiar samples for example, anyways i said enuff

Slinkdevil, do you make music? well I do and I couldnt care less if people downloaded my tunes as it will get my name around! I would actually be quite flattered that people would take the time out 2 download my stuff and play it! I wouldnt care if I dont make any money out of producing as I love dance music! I am not in it for financial gain!

Come back when you have got a life and know what the f*ck you are talking about!

as it will get my name around!

I think you've already managed that. :angry:

I am not in it for financial gain!

That does NOT make it right to steal music from people who make a living from it.

you have to be off your head mate to be fair if you think that age of the superstar DJ is drawing to a close. DJ's are celebrities-so thats like saying with the introduction of computer graphics, there will be no room for filmstars in the film industry. The u.k. dance music scene is on the rise and it'll keep rising, coz the music has gone back underground where it belongs. You have to admit that the tracks being produced now are 1000x better than when clubing became really commercial back in the late 90's. Isn't that a good thing? and who do you think it is that are playing these new releases to the masses week in week out? Ableton is a great program, and the CDJ and the new technics deck is great, but there's no way that vinyl will be forgotten. I can understand your point that CD's and laptops are becoming more fashionable in the whole DJing thing, but thats just because technology has advanced to benefit the DJ. extremists such as drum and bass dj's like bailey, andy c, adam f or goldie would shoot you if they turned up to a club with only cd decks!!!! I also think your point that local and superstar DJ's are moving towards the same level is very contraversial. More than most of the highly acclaimed DJ's now own or in some way co-run labels now, meaning they will always have first choice to the new and exclusive tracks before any other poindexter would. heck, the topjocks are probably playing alot of stuff that we'll never ever hear again so that they can keep it to themselves!!! How many local DJ's do you think get access to exclusive tracks like the pro's do???? They don't do there shopping in HMV you know????

O.K mate, not trying to sound rude or anything, but I just think some of your comments are not based on solid evidence. No hard feelings?????

on a good note, how good is the introduction of reasonablysustainable cd decks please????? It makes it so much easier for me personally to give my own productions to the best DJ's in the world week in week out!?!?! and it gives them much more opportunity to pick up and play great tracks that otherwise may have gone uncovered! lus its so much easier to master stuff for cd than it is vinyl, plus more cost effective.

some interesting points there by the way mate.

Slinkdevil, do you make music? well I do and I couldnt care less if people downloaded my tunes as it will get my name around! I would actually be quite flattered that people would take the time out 2 download my stuff and play it! I wouldnt care if I dont make any money out of producing as I love dance music! I am not in it for financial gain!

Come back when you have got a life and know what the f*ck you are talking about!

Listen mate, with all due respect, if you had got to the stage where you had a few tunes go "big", and you found you wanted to put more time into it. So quit your job to pursue it, and had a few big tunes, perhaps played by pete tong on a friday, and you weren't a big name dj making the fortune that tw@t Jules piles in(how many of your tunes are made by"big name" DJ's?), how happy would you be that some guy is boasting about ripping you off in a forum, instead of giving you the probable quid he makes from each tune sold, money thats supposed to clothe him, feed him/his family, buy other tunes, go out, pay for the hardware/software used to create his music, the electricty to use it, etc?

May sound extreme, but its in effect what is happening to these producers, think about it?

I know what ya saying about getting exposure, but the exposure is what you're exploiting as opposed to helping. Good exposure is getting played in a club, or on radio, not getting downloaded for nothing and played in a bedroom.

You started a good, thought-provoking thread here, but its not the right attitude i don't think. You aren't doing yourself or your peers, or the people who's music you probably say you love, any good by boasting about file-sharing on a forum, agree?

Many people are confused about what is legal and what isn't.

MP3's are legal because they are just a file format, the vast majority of MP3 files found on the Web are perfectly legal, put up there by unknown artists who want to get noticed or by established artists promoting their current material.

The vast majority of files shared on P2P (peer-to-peer) networks like KaZaA and Shareza violate copyright law because they were posted without permission of the artist or label.

Since it's impossible to determine which files may be legitimate, the only sure way to stay legal is to avoid file sharing programs altogether.

What is clearly illegal is unauthorized copying of commercial music. This usually means MP3's that are made from CD's and then put on the Net by individuals who haven't sought permission from the artist or music company.

Basically the law says.. you may make a copy of your own CD for your personal use. That means you may record it to a cassette tape or rip it to MP3 files. You may not, however, give this copy to another person. Many people believe that if no money is involved, then no law has been broken. This is false. Whether you give the copy away or sell it, this is still a violation of copyright law.

Now then ableton.... are we talking about operator? nothing more than an overated Frequency modulator. they've been around for years, Yamaha had one years ago that many a live act used. All thats happening now is DJ's using them to eliminate or isolate certain frequency bands so they can keep the key of 2 tracks that wouldn't normally lock. If we're talking about their live software then nothing more than a sequencer with a quick turnaround of data.

Hey I don't like to bite but you really are a prize cock.

:whatever:

Post up a link to your tunes then, I can rate how good you are then d*ckhead. I'll even host them for you if you like.

So I am right in thinking that none of you have ever downloaded tunes / software from the internet?

Monkeymagic: you going to use 100% non-illegal tunes on your new cd deck? hmmm yeh right..!!!!

Slinkdevil: you are prize t*rd! go and get a life!!!!

So I am right in thinking that none of you have ever downloaded tunes / software from the internet?

Monkeymagic: you going to use 100% non-illegal tunes on your new cd deck? hmmm yeh right..!!!!

Slinkdevil: you are prize t*rd! go and get a life!!!!

Mate, you had a good point to start with, why are you getting all aggro now?

I'm sure plenty of people illegally download tunes, software too, bragging about it, is whats upset people here. You may have been to plenty of clubs, and seen big DJ's playing CD's, but they won't be ripping producers off, they'll have been sent them.

Put another way, i don't know what your into, but you mentioned Tall Paul so we'll go with that. You'll have heard TP's new tune on Pete Tong the other week, probably downloaded it, illegally, and lets pretend you are actually doing what you aspire to do, and got asked to play in a club in the UK. Warming up for whoever, and TP or PT are on the same bill, you play that tune, or whatever other tunes you've got that aren't out yet. Think you'd get away with it? I reckon not.

I'm mates(by that i mean speak with over the net) with a few of the producers in my genre, and i get sent tunes every week, stuff thats either not been cut to vinyl yet, or remixes they've done that may or may not ever see the light of day. ChristianJ got commissioned to remix Alter Ego's Rocker, but Skint thought they'd make more £'s out of the Tom Neville/Eric Prydz crowd, probably right, but that remix never made the release or got pressed to vinyl, i've got it, ChristianJ posted it on the net for a few of the people he talks with, who like his stuff. This happens all the time, so far as i'm aware, thats not illegal. Admittedly, i also know DJ's who get sent a lot of new tunes from promo companies, all the time, they send me copies, i pretty much reckon thats not legal, but they may never get to shelves either, or are quite a bit ahead of release, so bring it on, i send them the stuff i get sent, its a white label merry go round!!

I also buy tunes direct from record labels for download, as well as spending a fair wedge in online MP3 stores, such as beatport etc. The tunes are out there to get legally, without ripping anyone off.

Its not the fact you steal music, so much, thats got people backs up, its your attitude towards it, and its an attitude that'll get you nowhere in what you want to achieve.

Archived