£50 Overdrawn £25 Charge Ouch

daisychain

The idea is that it is a bit harsh to discourage you.

If you're not normally overdrawn and this was an oversight, write them a nice letter explaining that, mentioning that you think it's a bit harsh, ask for a small limit to prevent it happening again (giving you a buffer). They might refund it.

Another ballsy manifestation of our 'tell you off' society. The banks over spend by BILLIONS of pounds, the government give them MORE money, the bank clients make a £20 error & get punished with a fine. If the person was wealthy they might have money in the bank all the time thus never require an overdraft but its only the poor who need overdrafts (at a ridiculous APR) yeah I see it, take more money off the poor to give to .....

Daisy, I'm with the Co-op I have a free £200 overdraft now but before I had that I did a little mistake and because there were no counters over here they gave me £300 until the cheque I paid in (via post) had cleared - I do not need to see them, they are on the end of the phone and are dead nice. HSBC are a faceless bank, more machines and robots than you could shake a stick at, my old work bank there, I don't like the way they operate.

First time overdrawn in 3 years, so thanks Declan i will try writing and see what happens, the bees thanks for the info on the Coop they sound great will look into that ohmy.gif dont know why ive posted this in International news its hadly that biggrin.gif

As Declan says.....

Thebees - I think you read too much daily mail, the government have not given the banks anything. Rich people go overdrawn too, they just talk to the banks regularly and keep their affairs in order. If you cannot control your current account get rid of it and use a savings account witha visa debit card. You cannot go overdrawn, so no problem and totally free banking. You might even get a bit of interest on your positive balance.

£50 overdrawn for 2 days, HSBC £25 charge ouch, i know its my fault but thought it was a little harsh.... :unsure:

That's how they make their money.

Some people have experienced this while away on holiday. They return to find 2/3 letters from their bank to say they are overdrawn and the fees mount up very rapidly.

£50 overdrawn for 2 days, HSBC £25 charge ouch, i know its my fault but thought it was a little harsh.... :unsure:

Simply write a letter to your bank telling them that you will be charging them £25 per publication / advertisement / junk mail they send you and expect you to read / dispose / line pet litter tray with.

Then charge them another £25 because you had to write to them to tell them that you intend to charge them in future. It probably wont get you your fees or your money back but you might get fifty pounds worth of satisfaction from thinking of the person's face when they open your letter.

<bandwagon>

Try NatWest.

£3-odd overdrawn, not caused by me buying stuff, to be hit with a £20 fee. Not straight away of course, so I'd already gone back into the black.

But not by enough, so their charge for going overdrawn sends me overdrawn again, cue another £20 charge.

Ring up to query/moan, arrange £100 free overdraft.

And they did it again, next month.

Phone em again "yes that's our policy sir, the fees get deducted immediately, the overdraft hadn't come into effect by that time."

Pay a big wad of cash in, most of which promptly vanishes.

(I only use my NatWest account as an online shopping firewall)

Another ballsy manifestation of our 'tell you off' society. The banks over spend by BILLIONS of pounds, the government give them MORE money, the bank clients make a £20 error & get punished with a fine. If the person was wealthy they might have money in the bank all the time thus never require an overdraft but its only the poor who need overdrafts (at a ridiculous APR)

i had a 4k overdraft from the isle of man bank and they did not charge any interest on the overdraft ever

Another ballsy manifestation of our 'tell you off' society. The banks over spend by BILLIONS of pounds, the government give them MORE money, the bank clients make a £20 error & get punished with a fine. If the person was wealthy they might have money in the bank all the time thus never require an overdraft but its only the poor who need overdrafts (at a ridiculous APR)

i had a 4k overdraft from the isle of man bank and they did not charge any interest on the overdraft ever

Presume that was agreed and authorised.

Presume that was agreed and authorised.

yes it was.

but was replying to bees comments about overdrafts costing cash when they dont. well mine never have.

Archived