Drivers Face Ban If They Drink A Pint

- Paul -

THE government has signalled that it plans to cut the drink driving limit to less than a pint of beer or a glass of wine.

Lord Adonis, the transport secretary, expects an official review of the law to recommend reducing the legal limit from 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood to 50mg.

He said he would take this “very seriously” and added: “A strong case has been made to have a lower limit.”

Full article

The drink-drive changes — which would not require new legislation — would bring Britain into line with almost all other European countries, which have a limit of either 50mg or 20mg. Ireland is planning to introduce legislation that will come into force next year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic idea, about time too, what they should also do is make the ban for getting caught a mandatory 5 year ban, £3000 fine and 6 months in prison, scum of society are drink drivers.

There's a zero limit here, which seems pretty sensible to me - the less ambiguity the better.

Where's here? It's 50mg in Switzerland and we (the locals) have got a couple of drunks locked up for driving while over 300mg.

Mind you I'm aware of Island residents getting off with just a ban while over 230mg, so I doubt if 50mg would acheive anything.

Should be a set scale of fine / sentence depending on alcohol level.

Fantastic idea, about time too, what they should also do is make the ban for getting caught a mandatory 5 year ban, £3000 fine and 6 months in prison, scum of society are drink drivers.

Don't forget to crush their car

car-crusher-2a.jpg

There's a zero limit here, which seems pretty sensible to me - the less ambiguity the better.

Where's here? It's 50mg in Switzerland and we (the locals) have got a couple of drunks locked up for driving while over 300mg.

Mind you I'm aware of Island residents getting off with just a ban while over 230mg, so I doubt if 50mg would acheive anything.

Here is the Czech Republic, where there's been a zero limit since 1953. There are consequently proportionally few RTAs or fatalities where alcohol is a factor compared to countries with higher limits.

Unfortunately the total number of RTAs and fatalities in the Czech Republic per vehicle is still high compared to many European countries: though sober, Czech drivers are relatively more reckless than the average European!

I think the real deterrent is the possibility of being stopped and breathalysed. Saying you're changing from 80 to 50 or 20 is a fine bit of PR but it's the chance of being caught that works most of all. Lots of 'booze buses' ready to take blood samples at the roadside in the evenings and mornings.

So often I seem to read in press reports of road fatalities that 'the person driving the car had an amount of alcohol in excess of the legal limit' - by the time it's reported at the coroner's inquest it too late. The irreversible damage has been done.

PS - I note that the article also mentions:

A new law on drug driving is also likely amid concern about the number of motorists driving under the influence of narcotics or prescription medicine.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't think that lowering the limit will make the slightest difference. If someone is going to get in a car with 230mg or 300mg, what difference is a legal limit of 80mg, 50mg or 0mg going to make.

Here is the Czech Republic, where there's been a zero limit since 1953. There are consequently proportionally few RTAs or fatalities where alcohol is a factor compared to countries with higher limits.

Unfortunately the total number of RTAs and fatalities in the Czech Republic per vehicle is still high compared to many European countries: though sober, Czech drivers are relatively more reckless than the average European!

Czech driver's dont need alcohol to drive bad, i have spent far too much time in Czech over the years and the driving quality is dire Lol !!!

I would agree with a total ban, but declare an interest because I drive a taxi.

I guess it's competition for you - after a pint everyone drives like a taxi driver.

thats a crakka..

If only :weee:

What about the brandy christmas pudding, or sherry trifle. Doesn't mouth wash contain alcohol? (hope so, I've been drinking half a bottle to help me sleep).

Plenty of consumables contain alcohol without having a drink.

Should be some interesting test cases.

Archived