Burglary

mæŋksmən

http://smwsp.org.uk/

Phillip Hewitson, an elderly man, from Norwich UK, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?"

He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available."

George said, "Okay."

He hung up the phone and counted to 30.

Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, Six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire appliances, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Hewitson`s' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to Phillip, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

Phillip said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

He hung up the phone and counted to 30.

Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, Six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire appliances, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Hewitson`s' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to Phillip, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

Phillip said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

Yes this is one of those 'urban myths' that gets repeated around the place. I have heard it for Bradford and for Coventry too - of course as a true story. Reminds me of those old ones about the dustmen finding cans of cat food in the bins of Chinese restaurants - or going back to WW1 all the people who saw a) the Angel of Mons and b) Russian troop reinforcements arriving in the UK with snow on their boots.

didnt think the source told lies.

roman catholic church an all.

Just economical with the truth? No doubt someone heard the story and thought it was true.

I'd suggest if you really didn't believe that churches tell lies that you check up on the reports of clerical child abuse in Ireland. It is getting murkier again.

Russian troop reinforcements arriving in the UK with snow on their boots.

That one actually goes back to the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05 - Russia's Baltic fleet sailing all the way to the Far East (Off the Dogger Bank on October 21, 1905 several Russian ships opened fire on British trawlers in the mistaken belief that they were Japanese torpedo boats) only to be decisively defeated at Tsushima.

Russian troop reinforcements arriving in the UK with snow on their boots.

That one actually goes back to the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05 - Russia's Baltic fleet sailing all the way to the Far East (Off the Dogger Bank on October 21, 1905 several Russian ships opened fire on British trawlers in the mistaken belief that they were Japanese torpedo boats) only to be decisively defeated at Tsushima.

The way I heard it was they were seen on Bolton Sation!!! Here is an alternative explanation:

It was widely believed in 1914 that Russian troops with snow on their boots had been seen passing through this country on their way to the Western Front. This may have started with a bearded soldier on a train being overheard declaring that he came from Ross-shire. How the snow got into the story, nobody knows.

Yawn...

police dispatchers and SWAT teams in the UK???? This belongs in the Jokes forum

didnt think the source told lies.

roman catholic church an all.

i laughed so hard at the above statement my orange juice came out my nose!

Archived