Garage To Close.

FCMR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it is getting late.

Funny bloke :angry: 30 more people now looking for work thanks to the IOM Government, Lancasters came to the Island with the intention to create something that is unique to anywhere in Europe and what do they get ........shafted. This is a PLC company who wanted to build new premises and low and behold the land that was to be developed went up & up in price. And who we ask owns all the land............. We will leave that to you to decide! hate to cast accusations.

So sleep well M_M its not your house that may be repossed.

I for one am very sorry to hear about them closing, I have delt with them in the past and found thier service to be very good, if a little expensive. But you get what you pay for and I'm not going to complain about that.

There are a number of reasons that car dealers are finding it hard at the moment (especialy franchised dealerships) and it's not just limited to the Isle of Man. We seem to have a lot of garages on the island and fear that this will not be the last to go before the year is out.

On the plus side for all the staff at Lancaster there is still a big demand for their skills as the number of cars on the island is unlikley to decrease these cars will all need maintanance and eventual replacement.

I once worked for a franchised dealer and while I quite enjoyed my time working there I found that leaving was one of the best moves I have ever made. But at least I had the choice to leave and wasn't forced to.

As regards Lancasters, I think there is more to it than just a land deal gone bad... <_<

Mann Autohaus as it was called is part of the Lancaster Group and was part of the Corkills group, it is now called Lancaster BMW.

Lancasters bought the franchises for Audi VW Porsche and BMW off the Corkills group about 18 months/2years ago, I believe that they had not realised the way the IOM works and have decided to pull out of the Island as the investment is not being as productive as the have hoped.

I have a number of friends that are employed by the Lancaster group and it is a very uncertain time for them, I am sure someone will take on the franchises but when is the question?

The forecourt and shop at Onchan are not connected to the Lancaster group so it is just the car sales and service part the is going.

This means another 30 or so people on unemployed :(

Well, it is getting late.

Funny bloke :angry: 30 more people now looking for work thanks to the IOM Government,

What, it is the fault of the IOM government that people can buy expensive German cars cheaper from non-franchised dealers? Well I'll be damned!

Free Market economy dude. While, of course, it will be difficult for the staff concerned, I'm not sure you can take the easy route and blame the Government.

Cret - I think that Lancaster own both Corkills and (what was) BMN Carriages dont' they??

What, it is the fault of the IOM government that people can buy expensive German cars cheaper from non-franchised dealers? Well I'll be damned!

Free Market economy dude.  While, of course, it will be difficult for the staff concerned, I'm not sure you can take the easy route and blame the Government.

I'll be the first to confess. I have just bought a pre-registered car imported from the U.K via a non-franchised dealer. I have got exactly the car I wanted and saved over £7,000 compared to the nearest deal on the Isle of Man.

It will of course need servicing and parts, for which, while it's under warranty I will be going to the local franchised dealer. He will in turn charge me upwards of £90.00 per hour + VAT for labour and because they are busy I will have to book my car in a couple of weeks in advance.

There is more to a franchised car dealership than buying and selling cars, and they are quite entitled to do business on the same terms as any of their competitors. The free market is dictated by the consumer and not the Government.

Business is changing and businesses must change with the times. Why should the buyer pay over the odds so that they can look at their new car in a pile carpeted showroom with over paid commission based sales staff? This illusion lasts for all of twenty minutes and then when you have bought that gleeming, shiny new car and it hits the road it just becomes an ever depreciating drain on your pocket.

Consumers are getting wise and some dealers are recognising this and changing with the times. While I feel sympathy with the staff at Lancaster I blame the closure on poor management.

Archived