Multimedia To Close - Will The Ibs ?

traveller

The Manx Multimedia Centre in Peel is to close - because the students when qualified are leaving the IOM to take up jobs away.

The International Business School recently in the news has the most part of its students from the IOM. So what is happening to the students who qulaify - how many of them will decide they can get better paid if they move away? If its better and cheaper to qualify here and then go away how long will it be before the IBS 'experiment' follows the same way as the MMC???

I think I heard them saying on the radio that it was basically because there weren't any decent positions for them over here once they're qualified so they didn't have much choice but to move across.

Greetings!

I go to the IBS, in fact I graduate in July (all being well!) I have no immediate intention to move off the Island, I hope to see how it goes first, with jobs etc. We had the option to do a 1 year work placement in our 3rd year and as a result of this, a lot of students either still work there part time while finishing their studies, or plan to go back to the organisation when they graduate.

Doing a degree in business gives you a lot more scope to get a job on the Island anyway - something which is less likely if you study at the Multimedia Centre because there are less job opportunities.

Their website is here.

For a 'Multimedia' centre, that's an absolutely awful website. So much for image.

Speaking as a Manx student studying multimedia on the mainland, I'd have to say there's very little chance of my coming back to the island to work in the long-term, simply because there's not enough jobs to go round. I've a much better chance of finding employment over here statistically.

It's not that I want to stay away, but needs must. The only situation in which I could envisage myself coming back is to set up my own creative agency, but that's very much a long-term goal.

I'm studying across too, not in multimedia though, but I am already wondering what is going to lure me back to the Island after I qualify. At times, i really feel as if the 20 somethings of the Island are getting pushed further away with little incentive to come back.

If you wanted to be 'lured back' you'd have chosen to study something that the Island wants/needs... but you can hardly take a course in rocket science and expect a nation of 80,000 souls to cover every obscure art, craft or profession.

Although there's always Mannsat....

• 1 month later...

I agree the MMC website is awful, it used to be cool

I used to studyat the MMc and i am back on the island after having an 'industry' job only to come back to temping in an office which pays the bills..and that is it.

Film work is few and far between over here, even now i am appliying for a job in Liverpool :huh:

I'll come work for ya sirdick, i think we went to college together :lol:

The IBS is perfect for the Island, it's courses are relevant to the big employers here. The MMC isn't, there's very few media jobs here.

I also wonder about the value in providing student grants to locals going to university for subjects they're clearly never going to return to the island with.

Archived