Multimedia To Close - Will The Ibs ?

traveller

I also wonder about the value in providing student grants to locals going to university for subjects they're clearly never going to return to the island with.

Very valid point. The DoE may well satisfy the aspirational wishes of students who wish to study any manner of subject without necessarily assessing the worth to the Island at present or in the future.

Maybe this is right and proper?

Personally, I would prefer more emphasis being given to vocational training that is aimed at those who can contribute to the future of the Island and the benefit of such training would be clearly visibile in the growth of the economy.

For instance if we could track the education and career path of someone who studied a Classical Music degree compared to, lets say, the person who acheived an NVQ level 5 in financial management. It would be interesting to see what worth, value and contribution they made to the local economy.

The danger of funding purely aspirational studies is that, on day, we may have lost the key skills which the Island needs.

I also wonder about the value in providing student grants to locals going to university for subjects they're clearly never going to return to the island with.

Sometimes people forget the subtle difference between education and training.

A well educated person can be trained to do just about anything in my experience.

So maybe it really doesn't matter what you study IMO - as long as it isn't too specific. Broad concepts and the ability to conceptualise are far more useful.

Archived