Operation Hemorrhage

Addie

I have just spotted the following article on IOM Today

I'm getting rather concerned at the seemingly endless and massive amounts of our money being spent left right and centre by every department and statutory board on this tiny island.

And the "£600 trip to Stratford-Upon-Avon to attend a day-long 'Julius Caesar Event' on power, politics and honour in leadership."!

Has everyone forgotten how small our population is? We can't afford this constant hemorrhaging of money.

REVEALED - TOP COP'S CONFERENCE BILL

A STAGGERING bill for conferences attended by Chief Constable Mike Culverhouse has created more questions than it has answered according to an MHK.

Taxpayers have footed a £25,294 bill for Mr Culverhouse to attend training courses and conferences around the world since he took office in 1999. The amount is some £5,500 more than the basic salary of a new recruit to the force.

The trips include a week-long drug course in India costing £3,500, a two-day anti-corruption conference in Hong Kong costing £3,465 – including £2,365.30 in travel costs alone – and 14 trips to London at a total of more than £8,500.

The figures, released in response to a question in the House of Keys on Tuesday, included a £600 trip to Stratford-Upon-Avon to attend a day-long 'Julius Caesar Event' on power, politics and honour in leadership.

Malew and Santon MHK Captain Andrew Douglas, who asked for the information, said the figures raise serious questions.

He wants to know if the amounts are justified, how much knowledge gathered by Mr Culverhouse was passed on to other officers and whether, given Mr Culverhouse's length of service, the force could have been better served by giving the training opportunities to other senior ranking officers.

Captain Douglas said he will be asking more questions to ensure the money was well spent.

'I thought it would be quite a high figure, but I think the real surprise is some of the high figures included, such as £2,300 for travel to Hong Kong,' he said.

'What has astonished me more than the cost is all the skills covered, excellence in leadership, police complaints, a gender agenda conference,' Captain Douglas added. 'These are courses officers developing their careers could have benefited from and one of my questions is whether he (Mr Culverhouse) has passed all the information he gathered on to others.

'We often see people go on courses, which is good for them, but the value for the organisation is in what is passed on, especially when the subject matter covered is as wide as this.'

Captain Douglas said claims of devastated morale and many complaints against the chief constable suggest courses on leadership had not benefited the force.

The MHK added he would be asking how many courses other senior officers have attended as part of their career development.

The revelation of the amount spent comes at a time the force can't fill chief inspector posts from its own ranks.

Last month, following January's appointment of senior Merseyside officer Mike Langdon to the post of deputy chief constable over a local officer, it was claimed Island police officers cannot compete for top roles because of lack of investment in training.

The claims, led by the Police Federation, were dismissed by the Department of Home Affairs.

However, Captain Douglas asked: 'Why don't we have junior officers going on these courses instead when they clearly need assistance to be able to compete for the top posts?

'If they had, maybe we could have had a local officer as deputy chief constable now.

'The minister was quite forthright after the complaint nothing had been spent on training. He said there has been a lot of training, and there certainly has for the chief constable.

'But is that right? Should we have been training someone else up?

'It has actually given me more questions than answers,' he added.

Answering a separate question, Home Affairs Minister Phil Braidwood 'a number' of complaints of bullying have been made against Mr Culverhouse in the past three years.

How can Mike Proffit and David North get paid £65k each a year from a company that is not trading, but is owned by the MEA, where is the money coming from

Sorry I should of said never traded

Shareholder's loans I would imagine! Without a proper family tree its hard to comment on income and expenditure streams.

and as for

The trips include a week-long drug course

Sign me up!!

Archived