Dentists

Dave Hedgehog

Can anyone recommend a good dentist. I need to get my choppers fixed.

Douglas/Onchan area. Not too bothered whether it's NHS or not.

Ms Cojocaru

Hailwood Dental Practice

674 286

NHS

Not a chance, the butcher of Bucharest, that place is a production line, ask yourself why her nurses last only a couple of weeks

only a short trip out of onchan to 'Laxey Dental' and since i am scarred for life from going to the Ballakermeen school dentist this is the only group i trust, both Colin or Neil are excellent :D

'nhs' and 'pay as you go'

• 2 years later...

Not trying to resurrect a probably tired old subject but has anyone had this experience...?

Without naming names, i went to a dentist last year (i'm not registered with anyone) with a sore gob. After x-rays l was advised that i'd acquired a small absess but also required a complere overhaul, root canal work and clean/polish etc. Paid for the service given and was advised to set up a den-plan and come back with my (bank) details and a monthly premium could be decided-upon.

After taking a course of antibiotics and analgesia, the gob settled-down and everything was ok for a while. Until recently, when i had a relapse of the same and this time attended a different practice. More x-rays and this time i was told that all i needed was a filling and another course of pills. When i mentioned about the previous assessment, the newer dentist basically said in her opinion i didn't require any root canal work or make any recommendations on further treatment! She said my gob was ok, apart from normal wear and tear and to keep up my regime of a 4minute brushing, twice a day with Corsodyl mouthwash (the tongue gets a good brushing also).

So in the end, who does one believe?

Was i being sold the idea of extensive treatment at the first surgery? It got me thinking that the same thing happened with my car; one garage told me one thing at a certain price and another garage told me a completely different story! Having been a sparks and chippies-mate for longer than i care to remember i'm aware of the subtle mark-ups so I know there are unscrupulous tradesmen out there who'll take you for a ride but dentists? Is dentistry a licence to print money?

@ Quilp

Dread the dentist, to the point my dentist refused to treat me without having 'chill pills', from the doctor! Found that most of my infections like what you are experiencing, was down to requiring a root canal. Trust me if I didn't need it my dentist wouldn't have done it. After having it done I have had no more infections! (bet my dentist is glad, even though I was private)

Hope this helps?

It was 6 years before that first consultation and quite a long time since the last and never had a problem since. My point is why this apparent need for the expensive, 6 monthly check-up? We don't go to our GP's every 6 months and have the equivalent inspection, so why, if we follow all the correct cleaning regimes of flossing, brushing and rinsing, are we advised to attend so regularly? Or don't the majority of people care for their teeth? Mine are apparently healthy, save the occasional crooked one and the toll that my (probably) excessive tea consumption and tobacco habit incur.

If it ain't broke why look for a reason to fix it?

No reason, simply a money exercise by dentists! People only went on the NHS as it was free once a year! Now it's a business they only take you on the denplan scheme if your teeth are healthy! As you were offered I'd take that as a sign your teeth are ok, and your an easy target for monetary gains! B-)

I know a few dentists, one of whom is my father-in-law. Like in most walks of life there is a spectrum of practice. Some dentists have OCD and overtreat every minor problem. Some patients like that. Others believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I prefer that way of thinking.

I'm sure there are some crooks around, but if you want a recommendation PM me.

Question is Wrighty, unlike your speciality, how do you know it aint broke?

Assumption, based on :

1) Absence of symptoms

2) Reasonably sound dental hygiene routine

3) Annual check up

4) 6 monthly scale and polish

5) Minimisation of risk factors - don't smoke and don't eat loads of sweets

It works for me - I've had no dental problems for about 20 years, and my dentist thinks that given my age and current state of my teeth, I'm unlikely to have any for the next 20.

Archived