Chinahand's Random Stuff

Chinahand

Continuing the biology theme I've always enjoyed PZ Myers and here he does a great job explaining some of the complexities of gene environment interactions and how genetic errors can result in seriously strange results - for example a mother who genetic testing showed was not related to some of her children - she was a chimera, with the genetic material of two fraternal twins who merged into one during the early period of her development.

Life is messy, the genome full of errors and junk and it is awe-inspiring how the tools of biochemistry are slowly exploring this.

Transcript for the busy:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2024/06/20/patchwork-people/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to guess that Antoinette Copas is a robot. 

With no understanding of Random Stuff and a ChatGPTesque way of padding language which lands right in the middle of the uncanny valley. 

Wonder if it will play and how long before it posts links to some strange part of the internet!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 6:06 PM, Chinahand said:

Fascinating discussion on the causes and solutions to authoritarian thinking. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y7sq

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000y7sq

On 8/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, Chinahand said:

I've enjoyed John Gray's writing for many years and this New Statesman piece is a tour de force. 

Provocative, thought inspiring, with a wide sweep of history, culture and nations. Bravo. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/asia/2021/07/west-isn-t-dying-its-ideas-live-china

I do enjoy a nice coincidence.

I've been thinking of reading John Gray's books on Liberalism and Athiesm and wonder if my Amazon browsing has been linked via various hidden cookies to my YouTube feed as this video was recommended to me:

It's an excellent discussion between John Gray and Frank Fukuyama on Liberalism and it mentions Karen Stenner who was the subject of the BBC piece above publicising her fascinating work on personalities which accept authoritarianism.

Neither Gray nor Fukuyama have any truck with either the Ctrl Left or the Alt Right, but Gray I think says something important when raising that there isn't one best way to have a society. There can be times when people want tolerance, there can be times when people want social stability and these and other choices can balance in multiple ways.

... and this too shall pass.

I've known of Bertram Russell's essay Why I am not a Christian for many years, but have never got around to actually reading it.

This radio version has just dropped into my YouTube recommendations.

It is excellent:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I've known of Bertram Russell's essay Why I am not a Christian for many years, but have never got around to actually reading it.

This radio version has just dropped into my YouTube recommendations.

It is excellent:

I heard this many years ago, this is a very good listen.

Of course, a lot of physics and cosmology have happened since - and I suspect if alive today Bertram Russell would eat the likes of Dawkins for breakfast intellectually and factually.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Three colour theory - both Red Blue Green (white) and Cyan Magenta Yellow (Black) is a wonderful thing.

Lovely stuff! What most don’t understand is that this only works because humans have 3 colour receptor cells in their retinas - the cones that respond maximally to red/green/blue. White light is actually all frequencies together. If we had 4 types of cones (a rare genetic mutation that does exist) we could perceive lots more colours that we can’t even imagine. There’s a type of lobster that has 8 different colour sensors. Imagine that (you can’t)