James Of Man (vadar)

zephyr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok!

But it is still thanks to you and some others that Manx Chat got off the ground and despite your views I and others are grateful of what you did. And do not be regretful of it Mission!

You did good and you know it!

And former posters and present know this too.

This post is meant with sincerity and goodwill.

Funny how you attribute everything to trolls when one of the biggest concerns MSN had with your site was the racist and biggotry that was rife. From managers and members, not just 'trolls'

Ah well, guess I'll have to live without my fascinating updates into the world of tadpoles.

PS. Haw Haw.

As an occasional visitor to Manx Chat I am sorry that it has gone. I do feel however, its central premise, which the manager's held dear, that it was a private members only site which gave it greater licence in its content was flawed.

Ultimately, it wasn't that private, the site's operators didn't know the real life identities of all the contributors. Simillarly, they didn't have the final say on what was acceptable and what wasn't because MSN could withdraw the service at a moments notice.

Another problem was that the managers never reconciled the issue of Freedom of Speech vs Acceptable Use policy, which appeared to lead to a lot of soul searching whenever a decision needed to be made.

The closure in way was probably going to happen, whether through a complaint or an MSN admin bod stumbling upon the site. This is because the managers were operating the site using a differing definition of "acceptable use" than MSN's. (And it is unfair to single out Zephyr for this - there was plenty of racist stuff that MSN could object to as well as his adult content).

So, Manx Chat has gone, but does that mean the community it built up has to go to? Why not get yourself some webspace, Shamus, and stick a forum on it? This would give you more control over dictating acceptable use, than could ever be expected from a site where ultimate control is the responsibility of a conservative multi-national like MSN.

Good post Declan and I agree entirely. (Not that my agreement makes it good of course.. heh)

I used to read it too and at times found some posts very near to the knuckle and I am not referring to Zephyr's poetry. When you apply MSN's rules to the type of post I'm referring to, then you were sailing pretty close to the wind I feel.

Declan's suggestion of getting your own forum up and running and setting your own rules is entirely the best. However, people are always a little too quick to bleat about freedom of speech when in practical terms it is rarely possible these days.

We have been criticised on many, many occassions for heavy handed moderation, lack of free speech etc. but the fact remains that we are still here (so far) and that must say something mustn't it?

Declan's suggestion of getting your own forum up and running and setting your own rules is entirely the best. H.

I think it's an awesome idea as it makes him legally responsible for the entire thing. Phoenix Rising is just another Manx Chat too I'm afraid. Nothing has changed, people haven't learned.

What a shame no one would just say ‘Hey – well done for at least being prepared to have a go, Vader. You put a lot of hard work into the site and it’s sad that some low life scum shafted you’.

Let’s also remember why the site was set up in the first place.

He did good and deserves credit.

What a shame no one would just say ‘Hey – well done for at least being prepared to have a go, Vader.  You put a lot of hard work into the site and it’s sad that some low life scum shafted you’.

Let’s also remember why the site was set up in the first place.

He did good and deserves credit.

Here Here!

Archived