Student Wins Right To Wear Jilbab

kite

This is the case of a muslim girl who recently won the right to wear a jilbab (full length gown showing only face/hands) at her school in the UK.

Interesting case and not at all simple, but my view is that as the local muslim community had been spoken to by the school and a dress code (tunic and trouers) agreed with them, then the onus was on her to change schools if she didnt agree.

Being Muslim is distincly different to Western society and is more about submission and aquiesment for the good of the whole community, not being individual, which is more a western ideal. If she was such a strong muslim she should have submitted to the schools rules not thought her own self was so important she should stand up against the community and the leaders of her religion.

More to the point, students agree to school rules when they attend that particular school, if they dont like any of the rules they should move schools. Making rules differ for different sections of students is wrong and totally against the whole point of a uniform, whether the idea behind a uniform is right or wrong. Certain students standing out as different from the others can surely only be bad anyway, a small example is at my school nose piercings were banned but one girl could wear one because of her religion. That led to some feelings of unfairness and resentment among others who were told to remove their recently pierced nose studs.

I don't really care one way or the other but it is interesting to hear others opinions on the matter, so what say you?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with the decision but I am of the "when in Rome" brigade.

If I sent my children to a muslim school as that was where I was living, I would respect their culture and my children would wear whatever they wore.

I have to say that this young girl caused all this furore before buggering off to another school!

She looked like a trouble maker to me and I don't think she's actually doing the Muslim community one jot of good.

I'd be watching her in the future.

Apparently the Head Teacher of the school is Muslem herself, so it wasn't as if the teachers were being racist. Can you imagine what would happen if an English girl in a Muslem country demanded that she be allowed to wear shorts and a cut off t-shirt - it just wouldn't happen.

WSAG, in France the wearing of any 'religious' clothing is banned in schools, PK must mean that.

this is the second time in 2 days you have lamented that you hate the french but they got it right PK, sure theyre so bad now?

Allowing this girl to wear such clothing at school is a mistake, and will create a two tier muslim community with those that wear the jilbab saying they are "better muslims" than those that don't. This leads onto the slippery slope of sectarianism.

I'm with the French on this one - any overtly religious symbols or dress is banned from schools there. Dress up all you want for church, mosque or whatever, but school should be left to education.

WSAG, in France the wearing of any 'religious' clothing is banned in schools, PK must mean that.

this is the second time in 2 days you have lamented that you hate the french but they got it right PK, sure theyre so bad now?

That's exactly what I mean. Well done kite. As Karellen says I think it is actually the wearing of overtly religious clothes or symbols. There goes the KKK suit and pointy hat!

I don't like the French because to me they are arrogant with no justification.

Btw, tides move in from the West. So during the flow the tide will be fractionally higher in Peel than in Douglas. There you go.

-

Was told  I was not allowed to wear a kilt at school, and also banned from wearing it in a particular nightclub as it causes friction.  So what's the difference?

Causes friction?

I thought nothing was worn under the kilt and everything was running smoothly????

Was told  I was not allowed to wear a kilt at school, and also banned from wearing it in a particular nightclub as it causes friction.  So what's the difference?

Friction between what!!...... :lol: - sorry couldn't resist.

Re the French thing:- I've had friends there for over 20yrs & find them no arrogant than any other race.

They DO look after their own though which can't be a bad thing.

I agree that this has created a precedent which could cause more divides.

Archived