Don't Contact Aliens, Says Stephen Hawking

Bombay Bad Boy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unavoidable really. Given our TV and radio broadcasts, any alien civilization 98 light years away has already picked up the distress calls from the Titanic.

Has anyone seen the movie "Contact?" An alien civilization sends a message which turns out to be Hitler's speech to the Berlin Olympics.

What no-one believes this planet has been visited by intelligent life in the 4,600,000,000 years its existed then ?.

Ofcourse it doesnt mean that the visitors still exist today, or that humans existed at the time.

But i believe the earth will feature on many a distant star chart.

Unavoidable really. Given our TV and radio broadcasts, any alien civilization 98 light years away has already picked up the distress calls from the Titanic.

Would have been some piece of technology they'd have to pick up a weak morse signal.

What no-one believes this planet has been visited by intelligent life in the 4,600,000,000 years its existed then ?.
Not many, no reason to believe it. It might have happened though.

Would you like to take the possibility down to a mathematical and probability study ldv, you will find that statistically it is virtually impossible for it not to have happened.

And thats only using figures from our own universes age and configuration, without the trillions of other universes out there.

GOOGLE THE DRAKE EQUASION TO START WITH, GET YOUR HEAD AROUND THAT, THEN GET BACK TO ME.caps apologies.

I am unaware of where the Drake Equation points out that it is virtually impossible that they have VISITED Earth, but looks to have undertaken to the point where such aliens developed technology of which they could use to contact us. Anyway, some of these statistics are rough estimates.

In any case, this isn't the point. It is quite possible, but not certain, in the face of that and no evidence I won't believe anything yet.

13,000,000,000 years of age is our young universe.

13 billion years just let that figure purculate between your ears awhile, alot can happen in 13 billion years.

And i asked you to look at the drake equasion before commenting as otherwise you would and indeed did talk shite.

Would you like to take the possibility down to a mathematical and probability study ldv, you will find that statistically it is virtually impossible for it not to have happened.

And thats only using figures from our own universes age and configuration, without the trillions of other universes out there.

GOOGLE THE DRAKE EQUASION TO START WITH, GET YOUR HEAD AROUND THAT, THEN GET BACK TO ME.caps apologies.

Is that the same as the Drake Equation (kerching) or N = R* fpne fl fi fc L, where he concluded in 1961 that there is an estimated 10,000 communicative civilizations in the Milky Way.

Are you dyslexic?

It is a long time but there are so many other factors to consider (or cannot be considered) in attempting to determine how likely it is. Would they want to travel outside off their planet? Would they have the capability to travel far? Would they have been destroyed whilst attempting it and given up? Etc. etc.

A lot can happen in 8 billions years and statistics may reveal that it is very likely to aliens visited Earth. Don't dispute that. But other than the Drake Equation, it is not thought to be almost certan that they VISITED Earth. And there is no evidence. Unless there is an almost certainty I am happy suspending judgement as to whether we have been visited or not.

jim

Probably its a long time since i looked.

And that would be at any given time, as he also only gave each species a 150k year life span before extinction if i remember correctly, then times that ten thousand by another trillion universes and you get quite a few possibilities. over a 4.6 billion year lifespan of planet earth.

You really dont believe the magnificence of the dinosaurs etc was not viewed and wondered at by intelligent eyes do you, what was the point otherwise, whats the point of trillions of empty lifeless universes, nature always has a point.

you really dont believe the magnificence of the dinosaurs etc was not viewed and wondered at by intelligent eyes do you, what was the point otherwise, whats the point of trillions of empty lifeless universes, nature always has a point.

I know you responded to Jim, but what is that supposed to mean?

Are you dyslexic?

And pray tell what the hell is wrong with being dyslexic? over 50% of the worlds top engineers and scientists are dyslexic. Mind you if it was mæŋksmən you was refering to there are always exceptions to rules.

Archived