Don't Contact Aliens, Says Stephen Hawking

Bombay Bad Boy

8,000,000,000 years of age is our young universe.

8 billion years just let that figure purculate between your ears awhile, alot can happen in 8 billion years.

And i asked you to look at the drake equasion before commenting as otherwise you would and indeed did talk shite.

I think you will find that the age of the universe is just over 13 Billion years, not 8 Billion. However our planet is only about 4 billion years old and has only been able to support multicellular life for less than 1 billion years

With regards to the Drake Equation, that only calculates an estimated figure for intelligent life existing in our galaxy at the moment.

It does not make any inferences as to how many of these civilisations developed interstellar space travel and then how many of these interstellar travellers travelled to the one solar system in the milky way galaxy's 30 billion where we happen to live.

As you are so keen on the Drake Equation, can I suggest you google a related subject - The Fermi Paradox?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ta jim ive edited my post, i knew it wasmore than double the earths 4.6 billion but couldnt be arsed to check, 8 billion or 13 billion years is quite along time even in ldvs universe.

The equation was any given momment as the species becoming intelligent replace those extinctions after 150k years.

Anyway it all works out over 4.6 billion years of earths existance that trillions of intelligent species have existed, it only required one of them to have sent a probe or got here personally, i would say the maths are well and truly stacked in favour of the earth being viewed by eyes that were not created here.

Are you dyslexic?

And pray tell what the hell is wrong with being dyslexic? over 50% of the worlds top engineers and scientists are dyslexic. Mind you if it was mæŋksmən you was refering to there are always exceptions to rules.

wlle i ouwld ujts lkie to sya form 1 dyslexic ot nathoer og fcuk yuro elfs.

Would you like to take the possibility down to a mathematical and probability study ldv, you will find that statistically it is virtually impossible for it not to have happened.

And thats only using figures from our own universes age and configuration, without the trillions of other universes out there.

GOOGLE THE DRAKE EQUASION TO START WITH, GET YOUR HEAD AROUND THAT, THEN GET BACK TO ME.caps apologies.

In fact mæŋksmən its highly statistically unlikely:

"So, where is everybody?" Nobel laureate Enrico Fermi reportedly quipped to fellow physicists in 1950, when discussing why we haven't seen any signs of alien civilisations if, as many believe, our galaxy is teeming with life. Now, a maths model may have an answer to Fermi's paradox.

Rasmus Bjork of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark, has calculated that eight probes - travelling at a tenth of the speed of light and each capable of launching up to eight sub-probes - would take about 100,000 years to explore a region of space containing 40,000 stars. When Bjork scaled up the search to include 260,000 such systems in our galaxy's habitable zone, the probes took almost 10 billion years - three-quarters the age of the universe - to explore just 0.4 per cent of the stars (http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph?papernum=0701238).

So, Bjork's answer to the Fermi paradox: aliens haven't contacted us because they haven't had the time to find us yet.

He adds that the search could be optimised by visiting only those stars that harbour habitable planets, which could be identified by planet-finding missions such as NASA's Terrestrial Planet Finder. Bjork is also "cautiously optimistic" about listening out for aliens with radio telescopes.

So, Bjork's answer to the Fermi paradox: aliens haven't contacted us because they haven't had the time to find us yet.

Well its obvoiusly bollox he is talking then, 4.6 billion years not enough time for trillions of intelligent life forms scattered thoughout trilloins of universes and not one has ever viewed the earth either personally or by probe in all those 4,6000,000,000 years is utter bollox.

And i dont need a 5 volume attempted temporal conversion thanks.

In my mind the Fermi Paradox is basic proof that faster than light travel is impossible. The Universe is so vast that even exploring a Galaxy takes billions of years.

mæŋksmən there are about 200 billion stars in the galaxy. If you trust the Drake Equation - and its assumptions are massive there are 10K or so technologically advanced civilizations - for those 10k to explore this galaxy will take billions of years.

I'm not surprised at all we seem to be alone - there is no evidence what so ever we've ever been visited and even if they did more than likely all they found was slim mould and so haven't come back!

Why would it take billions of years, only in a human mind does the impossibility of conquering time and space exist, and even then in 10,000 years of human evolution it may not anymore never mind 100,000 years more which is not even the equivilent of a heartbeat in the total time of existence, im sure that your conviction that something is not possible will not however restrict human endeaver.

Fermi et al know nothing more than you or i about whats out there lets not be forgetting that FACT, they can surmise all they want and sell it to who ever wants to buy their thoughts, but thoughts are all they are.

The mathimatical probability that earth has been viewed by intelligent eyes in 4.6 billion years is still trillions to 1.

Infact the topic can only head one way and thats to infinity, as human understanding cannot grasp infinitys true meaning theres no point going there, no-one claims space is finite/infinite and no-one claims theres an finite/infinite amount of matter in it either as they dont know.

I will tell you something else baut and jref are 2 of my most visited sites and are open as much as this forum, i guess i fall in the skeptic catagory on those, but that does not mean my mind is welded shut like most so called skeptics.

See with those 2 places playing their part in the american educational system they ARE patrolled by american government stooges, you dont have to be there long before you realise who the cheer-leaders are, and their particular brand of posting.

However you get some very well presented subjects on both.

On jref theres a thread ive been reading since it started by some doctrate, a very well spoken and clever man, 182 pages long and he now has them beat, he has made 2 compelling cases in favour of visitation and they havent been able to crack him or his presentation hence 182 pages of a moderated thread, only replies of merit are allowed through the moderation theres none of the normal derails and name calling etc.

Would you like to take the possibility down to a mathematical and probability study ldv, you will find that statistically it is virtually impossible for it not to have happened.

And thats only using figures from our own universes age and configuration, without the trillions of other universes out there.

GOOGLE THE DRAKE EQUASION TO START WITH, GET YOUR HEAD AROUND THAT, THEN GET BACK TO ME.caps apologies.

In fact mæŋksmən its highly statistically unlikely:

"So, where is everybody?" Nobel laureate Enrico Fermi reportedly quipped to fellow physicists in 1950, when discussing why we haven't seen any signs of alien civilisations if, as many believe, our galaxy is teeming with life. Now, a maths model may have an answer to Fermi's paradox.

Rasmus Bjork of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark, has calculated that eight probes - travelling at a tenth of the speed of light and each capable of launching up to eight sub-probes - would take about 100,000 years to explore a region of space containing 40,000 stars. When Bjork scaled up the search to include 260,000 such systems in our galaxy's habitable zone, the probes took almost 10 billion years - three-quarters the age of the universe - to explore just 0.4 per cent of the stars (http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph?papernum=0701238).

He adds that the search could be optimised by visiting only those stars that harbour habitable planets, which could be identified by planet-finding missions such as NASA's Terrestrial Planet Finder. Bjork is also "cautiously optimistic" about listening out for aliens with radio telescopes.

post-7887-127247381904_thumb.jpg

I agree we should all keep quiet and not let them know we are here. Otherwise we'll all get hoovered up by some sort of alien probe, and made into alien soup.

Most worlds go quiet, technologically speaking, IMO. Earth was only 'noisy' in the sense of radio waves - but now pretty much, international communications are short range digital (including satellites) and we have fibre optics.

In fact take things a stage further, and within a century I firmly believe we will be able to 'digitise' human bodies and we can then all 'live' in computers forever...with plenty of 'resources'...instead of just dying at the of our lives. Think about it, we already have MRI/CAT scanners and computers are speeding up all the time, so the technology will be there one day.

It makes no sense to emit gigawatts of power into space - unless you want to advertise your presence. Maybe there are 'worlds' out there that have already learned that the hard way - and they are cringing because they know what is 'about' to happen to us.

Archived