Did We Upset The Irish Over E-Borders?

Cronky

Don't we already have passport control for non uk residents or do we just let anyone in without checks? I would guess the cost of checking entrants ourselves would be a lot cheaper than paying the uk especially if we chanrge for visa's for those who require them. Why should be bow down to the UK, if you want UK rules then go live there.

Yes, but they're only for direct flights that come/go outside the UK.

It's not a case of bowing down to the uk, it's more inconveniencing people travelling to/from there. We should be part of e-borders, if it happens, so we don't have to do any controls when flying to the uk.

In reality we could say bollocks to both and save money

Would it save money? If the uk goes eborders and we have to put in passport controls, won't that cost?

Don't we already have passport control for non uk residents or do we just let anyone in without checks? I would guess the cost of checking entrants ourselves would be a lot cheaper than paying the uk especially if we chanrge for visa's for those who require them. Why should be bow down to the UK, if you want UK rules then go live there.

Well spoken.

I think the issue is not what to do when it goes ahead - your opinion would be correct then - but what to do at this stage to bring more sense to this stupid idea.

Sure, but we've got pretty much fek all to do with that decision though. This issue is between the UK and the Republic of Ireland, we've just got to pick a side if it goes ahead. On that basis, we're best sticking with the UK.

I disagree that we can do 'fek all'.

We are part of the British Irish Council along with Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the UKG. The Irish and Northern Irish governments have real questions about the application of e.borders within these Islands. I would guess (does anyone know) that Jersey and Guernsey would have some concerns. I would also think that the Scottish and Welsh governments would not be great supporters if their long term aim is independence within the British Isles.

If something is patently stupid should we say that we'll just let everyone else decide for us, or should we join in with like minded parties to try and do something about it?

Yes, but they're only for direct flights that come/go outside the UK.

It's not a case of bowing down to the uk, it's more inconveniencing people travelling to/from there. We should be part of e-borders, if it happens, so we don't have to do any controls when flying to the uk.

Why? Do we really want to allow anyone who has entered the UK to then be able to fly to us without us having the ability to check them, I don't want that. I think the minor inconvenience of showing a passport or I.D. card is far better than leaving an open door.

What the bloody hell do they want these controls for? Asking me to show a passport to travel from the UK to a Crown Protectorate is asking too much. I'm well aware of the security controls already in place for all foot passengers on the Steam Packet and they're effective. So if ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, how much would it cost to transform the sea terminal to cope with all this shit? Any advance on £1 million?

What the bloody hell do they want these controls for?

Because in a few years time there will be masses of terrorists and criminals travelling between UK and Ireland - or that seems to be the logic.

I think it's great that we have these debates on Manxforums. However, I really do wonder whether Government takes any notice. If you send your views to this lady then they will have to take note:

Mrs Caroline Mallon

Chief Secretary’s Office

Government Office

Bucks Road

Douglas

IM1 3PN

Email: Caroline.Mallon@cso.gov.im

They have had some good responses to consultations recently - Criminal Justice Bill 81 responses, Children Bill 58 responses, Pre School Provision 99 responses.

I personally think the idea is a nonsense. The Ulster guy is bang on the money - we'll end up having to carry passports all the time just to prove we're British.

I personally think the idea is a nonsense. The Ulster guy is bang on the money - we'll end up having to carry passports all the time just to prove we're British.

ID cards Cronky, ID cards. That is why the introduction is timed to coincide with the introduction of UK ID cards IF Labour is re-elected.

ID cards Cronky, ID cards. That is why the introduction is timed to coincide with the introduction of UK ID cards IF Labour is re-elected.

You are bang on the money too.

I think it's great that we have these debates on Manxforums. However, I really do wonder whether Government takes any notice. If you send your views to this lady then they will have to take note:

Mrs Caroline Mallon

Chief Secretary's Office

Government Office

Bucks Road

Douglas

IM1 3PN

Email: Caroline.Mallon@cso.gov.im

They have had some good responses to consultations recently - Criminal Justice Bill 81 responses, Children Bill 58 responses, Pre School Provision 99 responses.

Cheers views sent

Archived