Fatal Accident

Pierrot Lunaire

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the bikers seemed to be riding sensibly yesterday but, as we were driving across the Mountain Road towards Ramsey (somewhat earlier than this incident) we saw some who were, quite literally, taking their lives in their hands. There were a couple of occasions when we were faced with fast-moving bikes coming straight towards us on the wrong side of the road. The same was true later when we were heading from Sulby to Kirk Michael.

This is in no way intended as a comment on the unfortunate victim of this incident, but the fact is that there are a small number whose lust for speed makes them a danger both to themselves and to other road users. I never used to be in favour of a national speed limit, but I've come around to viewing it as the only reasonable option.

Very sad.

I did a lap yesterday and as Terse says most of the bikers were well behaved. Cannot say that about the car drivers though. Some complete idiots - not just on the mountain, but all over. Perhaps more solid white lines in the Ramsey direction of the mountain would be a good idea.

Went to Ramsey and back over the Mountain on Saturday Afternoon,Lots of Bikers using the course mostly from across by there number plates, but from what I obsevered all were going very fast, but all appeared to be riding quite safely,Hope all the visiting Bikers have a safe Fortnight.

we saw some who were, quite literally, taking their lives in their hands

No, you didn't. Perhaps "almost literally".

unfortunately though they also risk the more sensible road users in their 'compensating for' antics.

The person who died will be named after next of kin have been informed.

Surely they could figure it out from the description of the bike, if the police do not manage to inform them first?

Wouldn't have thought that his family read Manx websites regularly... Rider named

Some bikers ride safe - some ride like twats... and the same goes for some car drivers too.

I have had a couple of really near misses with bikes blatting past me in stupid places and I half expect to see them smeared over the road a few bends later. Had a guy this afternoon overtake me on a bend where he had no possible way of knowing if anything was coming around the bend.

I have fitted a digital camcorder to my dash and will be passing on any details+footage of bikes or cars that are putting other people at risk.

Sounds a bit harsh, but I don't want to die just yet at the hands of some pillock thanks :blink:

Some bikers ride safe - some ride like twats... and the same goes for some car drivers too.

I have had a couple of really near misses with bikes blatting past me in stupid places and I half expect to see them smeared over the road a few bends later. Had a guy this afternoon overtake me on a bend where he had no possible way of knowing if anything was coming around the bend.

I have fitted a digital camcorder to my dash and will be passing on any details+footage of bikes or cars that are putting other people at risk.

Sounds a bit harsh, but I don't want to die just yet at the hands of some pillock thanks :blink:

Seems fair enough to me Steve.

Great idea.

What p1sses me off is its obvious to everyone who has to use the mountain road that bikers are playing out their "ooo im a racer" fantasy on the mountain road every sunday. Like others I have had far too many bikers either on the wrong side of the road as I come round the corner or doing that stupid lean over on the white line cornering which seems to me like saying here you go slice my head off with your car please.

So my question is where the flying f are the police. Ive once seen a police car at union mills on a sunday. What use is that.

They need to have at least 3 stationed up on the mountain road to deter these wannabe racers from "doing a lap".

In the last few weeks we have already had 4 drivers get mentally scarred for life with bikers dieing in front of them, I hope the police do something before a driver gets killed by these bikers using our public road as a Nurburgring.

Sounds a bit harsh, but I don't want to die just yet at the hands of some pillock thanks blink.gif

Well done that man

Speed limit. Having one in place will cause no accidents, having one in place will if not eliminate all accidents at least eliminate some.

It's a no-brain'er.

Archived