Fatal Accident

Pierrot Lunaire

On Sunday while slowing down to stop at a red light at Ballacraine me and 3 other vehicles had the pleasure of this attached muppet overtake us all in the 30 limit before the light, Inital thought was he was an Idiot comeover on a deathwish and could sort of reason that he did not want to be stuck behind a couple of vehicles going through to Glen Helen,

No Sadly I was wrong this was a local Bike and thought he should know better so he moved up from 'Muppet' Status, then as if it was not enough when the light changed he tore off through St Johns like a proper Halfwit...... Carry on like that son and you should expect a Visit from the boys in Blue, hopefully before your family do

post-7123-127478448254_thumb.jpg

Nice Bike, a Ducati Desmosedici RR, Road going MotoGP Bike,yours for just £40,000.00.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused a bit on the picture. You said he overtook you all as you were slowing down yet, going by your piccy, he still had enough time and room to stop in the centre, and behind, the white stop line. Going by the highway code, as long as he didn't cross the central line on approuching the Ballacriane,there was enough room to do so and stay under the speed limit, he was ok to overtake ?

Just an observation from the piccy as your post tends to point to something different.

Ok i'll make it easier for the easily confussed,

1,I slowed to 30mph to enter the 30mph zone, then continued toward the line at 30mph until i was required to stop for the read light that was lit,

2, The bike accelerated hard past the vehicles behind me after they had all entered the 30 zone,so the bike was exceeding 30 on entry to the limit and still accelerating hard past me while i was still travelling at 30mph,you could tell by the exhaust note,then under hard braking yes he managed to stop for the line,Ducati's really do have fantastic brakes I miss mine :(Maybe it's the greeneyed monster in me

3,the picture was taken to record the vehicle reg, not the actual moment of stupidity that caught my attention

The picture shows nothing but a stationary motorcycle in front of a car at a set of traffic lights.

I'll appologise Theo for not getting an action shot for you but will endeavour to please you next time, as for Angry man far from it, I rode bikes for years and have no problems with bikes making 'progress' in slow moving/stationary traffic, I is just that i was not stationary or slow moving i was traveling at the speed limit

Nice Bike, a Ducati Desmosedici RR, Road going MotoGP Bike,yours for just £40,000.00.

Yes a very nice bike indeed,sounded great while accelerating away

I wonder if anyone, like me, struggles to actually feel sympathy for the dead in these types of accidents? I know it's a pretty cold sounding thing to write, but any sympathy that might be expected from me is overwhelmed by the relief I experience that no others are injured in the event. Physically injured that is, the mental scarring is impossible to comprehend. I know this is unfairly tarring all bikers with the same brush, but I formulate my opinions after watching videos such as these. I'm aware that Richard Green has form on this board for his amateur videos, but other than committing this sort of thing to film, I don't think his behaviour is actually that unusual and simply reflects the macho culture that exists in the biking world. I won't waste my sympathy on these people.

Edit to fix link.

I am sure the guy didnt go out that day with the intention to kill or be killed as a result of his riding....however we all must take responsibility for our own actions. My sympathy therefore lies with those he left behind and those invovled in the actual accident or aftermath thereof.

The are regular examples of cock-endery of a 2 and 4 wheel variety on our roads every day.

Is an all Island speed limit the answer....not in isolation IMHO.

There need to be a realignment between the fantasy of closed road races and reality of every day road use.

The polar extremes of the cock-waving bravado of the speed brigade and the pious standing of the speed limit brigade only serves to keep a sensible solution at arms length.

I wonder if anyone, like me, struggles to actually feel sympathy for the dead in these types of accidents?

I do, if they ride like idiots and end up dead, then the sympathy should go more to those they leave behind, the witnesses to the accident and those who have to clear up the mess.

I have been riding bikes for thirty years now, I currently have four in the garage at home, the smallest is a 750, the largest a 1200. I can ride at high speed as the bikes are capable of it, but I choose to ride within my limits. Some bikers ride well beyond their limits and skills and do end up dead.

I have noticed quite a few powerful 150mph plus bikes with 'R' Plates on them, I doubt if many of them, when going round the TT Course, stick to 50mph as they should as new riders.

I have noticed quite a few powerful 150mph plus bikes with 'R' Plates on them, I doubt if many of them, when going round the TT Course, stick to 50mph as they should as new riders.

And there lies a lot of the problem. In the old days in Jersey, you could learn on up to 125cc (I think, it may have been 250cc). Once passed, you could ride up to 400cc. After a year you could then take another test ( a much harder one) to allow you to ride over 400cc.

I wonder if anyone, like me, struggles to actually feel sympathy for the dead in these types of accidents? I know it's a pretty cold sounding thing to write, but any sympathy that might be expected from me is overwhelmed by the relief I experience that no others are injured in the event. Physically injured that is, the mental scarring is impossible to comprehend.

Well considering that there are a number of incidents, but certainly one which we are not allowed to mention on this internet forum, where the biker was blameless, I find the above post absolutely astounding.

Pierre, it does sound very cold.

And there lies a lot of the problem. In the old days in Jersey, you could learn on up to 125cc (I think, it may have been 250cc). Once passed, you could ride up to 400cc. After a year you could then take another test ( a much harder one) to allow you to ride over 400cc.

back in the day you could have what you want on L plates when england was still 250cc limit ( til the LC250 and X7 put 100mph in the hands of learners ). in some ways the 50 limit is a bit bollox for motorbikes cos even with a full licence you are still only allowed to do the same speed as you have been doing for the past year anyway on your own ( probably more ) so you aren't going to be doing anything faster than before so the extra year at 50 isn't going to teach you anything about going faster. with a car it is different because you have never been unaccompanied so 50 on your billy for a year makes more sense. perhaps just 6 months would be more appropriate, it doesn't take long to get used to a vehicle travelling a bit faster in stages. another loophole regarding power is that a trike or sidecar or quad that is agricultural ( tractor on paper ) can be bigger than 125cc and driven by a 16 year old on L plates unaccompanied!!!

as to sympathy for the deceased? i used to have, but all to often the knob survives and some innocent victim pays the price for their stupidity. these days i'm leaning towards the 'one less' knob attitude when it is obviously the bikers fault and excessive speed was the major factor. the flip side being that many bike deaths are actually caused by knobs in cars taking out an innocent biker! a total role reversal tha doesn't seem to get the same airtime.

Agreed Theo. A friend of mine got 'taken out' 9 years ago during TT week leaving a wife and two young children. It was later proved he was totally blameless. Doesn't generalising make 'thinking' easy?

Agreed Theo. A friend of mine got 'taken out' 9 years ago during TT week leaving a wife and two young children. It was later proved he was totally blameless. Doesn't generalising make 'thinking' easy?

Don't think loss of life is acceptable in any way, blame or not. This is another tragedy on our roads and we should be doing more to prevent it happening again, doesn't matter what they're driving/riding.

On a side note. When did riding a motorcycle become only for old farts?

I haven't seen anyone under 30 on a bike this year and amazingly this includes the scrambling lot as well.

Is biking the new 'porsche boxster' ?

Just more blokes born with snall dicks in the 50's and 60's, that's all.

So you've got a bike too twitch?

Thats my boy, did twitch ever get back to you.?

I am sure the guy didnt go out that day with the intention to kill or be killed as a result of his riding....however we all must take responsibility for our own actions. My sympathy therefore lies with those he left behind and those invovled in the actual accident or aftermath thereof.

The are regular examples of cock-endery of a 2 and 4 wheel variety on our roads every day.

Is an all Island speed limit the answer....not in isolation IMHO.

There need to be a realignment between the fantasy of closed road races and reality of every day road use.

The polar extremes of the cock-waving bravado of the speed brigade and the pious standing of the speed limit brigade only serves to keep a sensible solution at arms length.

Completely agree, particularly with the last bit.

It saddens me that people think that the likes of those posting videos of themselves on other sites are representative of bikers in general. A lot of us are completely astounded at the stupidity of some of the riders, who seem to think that claiming that everyone is "riding within their limits" is some kind of get out when it comes to any of the poor riding that's often seen on those videos or described elsewhere. The point is that everyone thinks that they're riding within their limits, but people still get it wrong and pay the price - it's this arrogant attitude that some bikers have about their own skills and antics which just makes any attempts to find some middle ground impossible. You end up with a complete "us and them" mentality whereby it's impossible for any sensible discussion.

The attitude of some car drivers towards bikers does stink, but it's only reinforced by the actions of a few who are completely oblivious to their responsibilities as road users.

I wonder if anyone, like me, struggles to actually feel sympathy for the dead in these types of accidents?

Depends what's caused the accident, and as it's still being investigated I don't think we know what "type of accident" it is yet.

Archived