Rip Gary Coleman

espylacopa

I am not in the least bit surprised that Frasier goes over the heads of some of the dopes on here who have the IQ of lint. Btw, for the record,British Channel 4 voted Frasier the best sitcom of all time and it won 38 Emmys.The BBC h2g2 calls it "one of the most successful TV shows of all time and widely called the most intelligent show on US television".)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not in the least bit surprised that Frasier goes over the heads of some of the dopes on here who have the IQ of lint. Btw, for the record,British Channel 4 voted Frasier the best sitcom of all time and it won 38 Emmys.The BBC h2g2 calls it "one of the most successful TV shows of all time and widely called the most intelligent show on US television".)

Which sounds like a good reason to switch the television off.

Despite being a lint-headed moron, I still don't get US humour. That is not to say I dismiss anyone who does, but contrived, delivered and then the audience dragged to see the joke-type humour, just isn't humour to me. However, I would revise my list of good US comedy shows (note, not sitcom) to include the Simpsons (sheer mastery).

I just love the multi-layers in the Simpsons. Best episode was Homer and Ned in the shower together, for whatever reason. Ned had pixellation down to his knees. Absolute gold, because without overplaying it, they had made the comedy with subtlety and it was there to be picked up or ignored. That is humour for me.

However, I gather that the Simpsons is considered to be unintelligent humour.

Simpsons is brilliant. Infact, three of the main cast members of Frasier reunited in an episode of The Simpsons. Kelsey Grammer reprised his role for the tenth time as Sideshow Bob, Hyde Pierce reprised his role for the second time as Sideshow Bob's brother, Cecil Terwilliger, and Mahoney appeared as Cecil and Bob's father, Dr. Robert Terwilliger, in the episode "Funeral For A Fiend." You obviously didn't know about the connection, did you, Gladys? Keep digging....

Despite being a lint-headed moron, I still don't get US humour. That is not to say I dismiss anyone who does, but contrived, delivered and then the audience dragged to see the joke-type humour, just isn't humour to me.

I don't think you can describe "US humour" in that way though. Just stop watching the crap mainstream stuff. E.g.

Frasier is popular here IMO because, when you analyse it a little, you find it is actually a very British based comedy, from Daphne the 'Manuel' equivalent, to the posh 'British' voices and subtle sarcasm and class based humour etc. that you find in many British comedies. Several of the episodes seem based on Fawlty Towers episodes for example, along with the comedy of a number of well known British plays - with Martin, the standard American, creating situations that allow the other characters to bring out much of that British based comedy.

Simpsons is brilliant. Infact, three of the main cast members of Frasier reunited in an episode of The Simpsons. Kelsey Grammer reprised his role for the tenth time as Sideshow Bob, Hyde Pierce reprised his role for the second time as Sideshow Bob's brother, Cecil Terwilliger, and Mahoney appeared as Cecil and Bob's father, Dr. Robert Terwilliger, in the episode "Funeral For A Fiend." You obviously didn't know about the connection, did you, Gladys? Keep digging....

Yes, it had completely escaped me that well known figures from various fields of endeavour guested on The Simpsons. Next you will be telling me that Tony Blair and Stephen Hawkings have made appearances (if that is the correct term for 'voicing'). Fact is, I don't enjoy the majority of US comedies, that is a personal preference and no amount of persuasion, or ridicule certainly from you, will make me change my mind. It is a personal choice, that is all. I see no reason to 'keep digging' as you put it, not least as I don't understand what you mean by that.

Archived