Killings In Cumbria

Chinahand

Take knives, guns, bombs and planes away and people will still find a way to try and cause carnage.

Maybe but why make it easy for them?

What do you mean make it easy for them, everyone has access to kitchen knives, thats ease of access, however i pressume you mean firearms.

So pray tell us about this easy access to legally held firearms please.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone please explain to me what purpose, other than killing something, owning a gun would have? Even the innocent purposes hide a, potentially, more deadly end result.

Aint that the point of having a gun to be able to kill things for, not normaly ppl i might add.

i cant see your point of your post or what u mean

Can anyone please explain to me what purpose, other than killing something, owning a gun would have? Even the innocent purposes hide a, potentially, more deadly end result.

Ever tried to hit a rabbit with a stick?

Aint that the point of having a gun to be able to kill things for, not normaly ppl i might add.

That is exactly my point, a gun has only one purpose and, in the wrong hands, that purpose can very easily become distorted and perverse. The purpose may not normally be to kill people, but gun owners still have the means to very efficiently kill someone readily within their power.

Take knives, guns, bombs and planes away and people will still find a way to try and cause carnage.

Maybe but why make it easy for them?

What do you mean make it easy for them, everyone has access to kitchen knives, thats ease of access, however i pressume you mean firearms.

So pray tell us about this easy access to legally held firearms please.

No brainer

Make guns legal you give 'easy' access ....make guns illegal then 'not so easy'

You're right that if people want to do damage then they will find some means ....however if they haven't got access to a gun....

That is exactly my point, a gun has only one purpose and, in the wrong hands, that purpose can very easily become distorted and perverse. The purpose may not normally be to kill people, but gun owners still have the means to very efficiently kill someone readily within their power.

I know what you are getting at Gladys, and I'm not 100% sure what the argument for guns in rural areas are. But couldn't that last bit of your statement be true for many other things?

I could probably mow down more people in a car within the few hours this bloke had, or drive around call people over and stab them. People who 'flip' do just that and find a way to do so. For all the illegal guns that are owned by gangs in the UK you don't get many cases of 10's of people getting shot in one go and that's the criminals. In fact occurrences like the Cumbria killings are very rare in the UK with about 1 case every 10 years. On newsnight the other night a criminologist compared this against somewhere like Sweden, I think it was, where you would be talking about 1 event every year.

Murders by guns make up only about 8% of all murders in the UK. I think most people were murdered by being kicked or hit.

Most of them use a spade.

Gladys it seems to me that the people with guns are the people without brains which again is not the way it should be. Its like they are refusing to live in the modern world.

Man + gun = grrooarrr me hardman ug ug.

The only people with guns should be trained police and soldiers. Not farmer billy bob jo who left school at 9 and is angry because he has just been dumped by his sister.

I know what you are getting at Gladys, and I'm not 100% sure what the argument for guns in rural areas are. But couldn't that last bit of your statement be true for many other things?

I could probably mow down more people in a car within the few hours this bloke had, or drive around call people over and stab them.

You could theoretically kill loads of people with a spoon, but not five people in 10 seconds from 50 yards away, and at no risk to your own safety.

Try it in a car, and you'll end up crashing very quickly. Try it with a knife in the high street and you'll quickly come across two handy blokes who are more than your match. Try it with a shot gun and you leave a trail of dead people for a couple of hours until the armed response unit have caught up with you.

did this man have a gun license, or did he get the gun from somewhere eles.

Most of them use a spade.

Gladys it seems to me that the people with guns are the people without brains which again is not the way it should be. Its like they are refusing to live in the modern world.

Man + gun = grrooarrr me hardman ug ug.

The only people with guns should be trained police and soldiers. Not farmer billy bob jo who left school at 9 and is angry because he has just been dumped by his sister.

yes ok then, i bet if u took all the ppl with legal gun license,s that had lost the plot and killed ppl, and then take all the gun crime from ppl that dont have a gun license i bet u find that its the ones with out the license that have killed more.

More back lash for no reason, just because somebody decicded to lose the plot then ppl start calling for all guns to be banned what a load of twoddle.

and did this man even have a gun license. like i said i dont know if he did or not,

You could theoretically kill loads of people with a spoon, but not five people in 10 seconds from 50 yards away, and at no risk to your own safety.

I dunno, I'm pretty handy with a soup spoon.

Especially if you put the wrong mushrooms in their mushroom soup, or use canned salmon in the salmon mousse.

Sadly we can't un-invent the gun and at face value it would seem that he posed no great risk by originally being issued with a firearms certificate - until he flipped. The whole issue is very complex but in a rural community legal gun ownership is likely high as people go shooting rabbits, pest, vermin etc, whereas in a big city illegal gun ownership is likely high as people buy one to provide protection for drug deals etc. You can't advance profile nutters unfortunately, and in this inst5ance he seemed to be a normal bloke for a long period of time before he had a "Falling Down" moment.

I could probably mow down more people in a car within the few hours this bloke had, or drive around call people over and stab them. People who 'flip' do just that and find a way to do so.

I am genuinely surprised that we've not had a "Grand Theft Auto" style loony yet but its probably going to happen at some stage as virtually any tool can be used to kill efficiently if you think hard enough.

Is there a country in the World where gun possession is illegal?

Yes, Bermuda. Guns were made illegal in 1969 or 70. So far this year there have been 5 murders by shooting. So banning them worked, didn't it?

Link---

http://www.royalgaze...01&sectionId=60

ETA

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?sectionId=60&articleId=7da432730030004

Bermuda has a population of about 70,000 people - the Isle of Man has a population of 85,000 (ish). Our gun laws are more relaxed than the UK and handguns are still legal here. I don't think we have had 5 gun related homicides since 1969? How come Bermuda has had so many?

Archived