Corrie

John Wright

Supension right =yes wrong = no  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it just me or is the suspension of transmission of Coronation Street because it happened to have a gunman storyline at the same time as the Cumbria killingso uneccessary and just another bit of media hype and reflects no real concern for the victimks and families and those traumatised but is another extension of this strange obsession to be involved with everyone, you know the Pribncess Di funeral stuff where everything stopped and millions who did not know her bought flowesr.

I favour showing. The victims have my sympathy. But life must go on for us as well as them.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking the show, but it does sound unnecessary and very silly indeed. But then I wonder what crap British newspapers would possibly pick up on the episode were it to be aired. Maybe it is easier to avoid criticism.

It does seem a relatively recent thing where the public are expected and therefore called to make open displays of their 'support' or sympathy whenever something like this happens. Not such a terrible thing in this particular case, but it often generalises true public feeling. Worse than that you have irritating minutes silences for chosen incidents where some public figures thinks attention should be given.

I still don't understand the public reaction to Princess Diana's death. But considering you had so many silly, misinformed drips in society who appeared to sob on the day she died it is hardly surprising that the media grabbed the story and dragged it on.

What a load of bollocks, how the hell is there any link between a fictional escaped prisoner holding his ex wife, a trainspotter and a transexual hostage in a factory and maybe killing one and a Cumbrian taxi driver going postal. I see also they have changed an eastbenders story line where a character kills a prostitute due to the Bradford murders, still unnecessary but at least the link is a little better.

The "Cotton Wool" brigade are always very quick to act in these cases. Shootings are an every day occurance in the UK inner cities. So much so that it is no longer news worthy, unless the person shot is a "celebrity" or a bystander.

I feel sorry for the families of the people who were killed yesterday, but it is not an unheard of event.

Damn, no "I don't care" option.

Agreed. Or, rather a "I couldn't give a shit because programmes like 'Corrie' are the kind of crap that only a mentally inferior subculture would ever choose to watch anyway."

Maybe it is easier to avoid criticism.

The NuShite political philosophy - that got practically every newspaper backed obscure lobby group it's own way, and a NuShite fire at the hip policy reaction from every headline.

The UK loves wallowing in self pity, it's all they have in common left to do.

The collective UK sulk after the first round of the world cup is coming up next...

I agree in many ways.

But there are many much more significant examples of that - which frequently begin with governmental press releases and / or off the record briefings. The US is particularly bad for this. So is nearly everything which is sold as being about making us safer from terrorists, criminals, each other, the weather etc

The problem is that the news and other media are a great way of spreading memes which people with a vested interest (or who are empire building or looking for more funding) would wish to propagate. Journalism is dead. Reporters are lazy. They would rather fall back on a press release or a briefing.

If I was running the backlash, media studies would be taught in schools and everyone would be encouraged to think in terms of de constructing the media and to quickly recognise stories which are based on press releases. People would question everything which they are told.

Googling "in quotes" a few key specific lines from any story is often a great way of picking out items which are being lazily propagated in this manner. Especially when stats are involved. It's depressing actually.

If I was running the backlash, media studies would be taught in schools and everyone would be encouraged to think in terms of de constructing the media and to quickly recognise stories which are based on press releases. People would question everything which they are told.

A little information is a dangerous thing. People are even equally as lazy as journalists. Either they wouldn't bother to critically assess news items, or would just assume because something bias it isn't worthy of consideration. Neither is particularly useful, and just because something is based on a press release doesn't mean it is wrong, or not worth reporting. After all, nothing is objective. Everything is telling you how to think all the time. And what they are telling you is constantly in flux. Its the nature of things.

Best just to roll with it and treat all information as useful, but not definitive.

I agree in many ways.

But there are many much more significant examples of that - which frequently begin with governmental press releases and / or off the record briefings. The US is particularly bad for this. So is nearly everything which is sold as being about making us safer from terrorists, criminals, each other, the weather etc

The problem is that the news and other media are a great way of spreading memes which people with a vested interest (or who are empire building or looking for more funding) would wish to propagate. Journalism is dead. Reporters are lazy. They would rather fall back on a press release or a briefing.

Googling "in quotes" a few key specific lines from any story is often a great way of picking out items which are being lazily propagated in this manner. Especially when stats are involved. It's depressing actually.

Its called looking behind the curtain pongo, and so very few do it, hence the amount of shite most people talk/regurgitate orally.

However a warning when you start taking you data in from independent sources and repeating it, THE UNINFORMED who dont will call you a twat.

When a subject involves pink yellow brown black or olive colour skinned people, they will call you a racist twat.

If the subject includes any physical disability you will be an !!IST!! twat.

Or the subject matter involves homosexuality you will be a phobic twat.

Or as in bellyups case a skint twat.

Most times people will take the opportunity to perm any 2 of the above from 3.

Still its good to talk.

Damn, no "I don't care" option.

Agreed. Or, rather a "I couldn't give a shit because programmes like 'Corrie' are the kind of crap that only a mentally inferior subculture would ever choose to watch anyway."

WTF is 'Corrie'?

Archived