Smoking...

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than start another smoking thread:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/39Stop-smoking-in-doorways39.6464224.jp

"SMOKERS congregating in the doorways of pubs in Castletown Square are intimidating.

This is the view of the town's local authority, which says it's trying to eradicate the problem.

Commissioners' chairman Colin Leather said all the commissioners have had complaints about people smoking in the doorways of pubs.

He said it was 'intimidating' for people walking by or going past them to enter the pub"

Is anyone really intimidated by people smoking outside pubs? I occasionally feel a bit guilty/uncomfortable, smoking outside and have been heckled about my 'dirty habit' a couple of times, I certainly don't feel intimidating!

I certainly don't feel intimidating!

Maybe you're just underestimating yourself. You should try mugging someone the next time you're out there, now Colin's given you a bit of encouragement.

The improbably named Mr Leather has been unusually vocal recently. Do I detect the beginning of a bid for Tony's seat come the next election?

I think the Park ban is utter stupidity thought up and backed by idiots. Feckin Nutters imo and should piss off an do something more useful with their lives.

To begin with, i don't smoke.

But then, when i take my kids to the park, unless someone was actually holding one of my kids and blowing smoke in their faces, i wouldn't make a blind difference if someone was smoking. If, however, the ban was brought in on the fear that a child might get burnt by knocking against a lit cigarette, i could at least see some sense, however little, in that. As we know, that's not the reason.

But let us take this brilliant piece of bollox, one step further and look at how easy it is to look good to the voting public, yet still have no idea about pollution and what toxins are little loved ones are really subjected to at some parks.

Park 1. Nobles Park at the lower end.

Next to a bus route, however minor, where with the wind blowing in the wrong way, our precious ones will be subjected to the toxic diesal shoite bellowed out by naughty buses. This will subject everyone in a wider area with the fumes only a ciggy the size of concorde could apply.

Park 2, Onchan Park at the top end. ( already banned smoking )

This has to be the best example of Arse and Elbow Applied Science on Island and should, imo, be given an award.

You cannot smoke in the play area, yet 3 and sometimes 4 nights a week, they hold Stock Car races not 100ft from it. I'm sure again, if the wind blows in the wrong direction, it will shower the seeds of our loins, with enough toxins that i'm supprised they don't glow in the dark.

But if you, heaven forbid, light a ciggy, you'd be set on by a load of screaming banshees and whipped to the gate.

I'm amazed that some people actually leave the safety of their home being they're so paranoid of the world around them.

As you are so fond of taking your kids to the park you should take them to Hyde Park. And more specifically Speaker's Corner, where similarly insane rantings are to be loudly encountered week in, week out.

Now why would i need to do that when i only have to read your penile witterings and know that i've kept my loved ones from seeing fuckwits like you.

Now why would i need to do that when i only have to read your penile witterings and know that i've kept my loved ones from seeing fuckwits like you.

Well whatever. It's obvious that you're just using this issue to have a gratuitous rant at those implementing this particular policy, and blinding yourself to any possible negative impact on your children's health as a result of their possible belief that smoking is a perfectly reasonable and healthy outdoor pastime to engage in because, after all, so many were doing it at the park. And what can be a more uplifting and beneficial experience to an impressionable child than a lovely trip to the park? The way I see it, in marked contrast to you, is that this policy has nothing to do with the direct effect to the health of kids that you highlight in your silly comparisons with other producers of airborne toxins and more to do with tackling the normalisation of smoking as an acceptable habit. And for that, it should be applauded.

Smoking used to be 'the done thing' - even the queen used to smoke and in public too (I do not know if this is true or not, but it might be). Now smoking is a bit like religion, we all know better but its fun or something like that.

I don't think the Queen has ever been a smoker although she is known to be very liberal and objected to the UK Government smoking ban because she always made sure cigarettes and ash trays were available for her guests.

Did you mean Princess Margaret? She was a very heavy smoker.

Smoking used to be 'the done thing' - even the queen used to smoke.

She gave it up - just drops the odd E now and again.

Phil prefers acid.

Archived