Water Meters

Rog

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an element of truth in that. For me the Isle of Man is now just a huge grave marker.

It saddens me to think how I had to leave my home or face a "summer on the horse trams - winter on the dole" life. It especially saddens me to have watched how The Usual Suspects and their offspring have behaved - and how the real Manxies that I knew and yes, loved, have been taken to the cleaners.

Following your comments in another thread about your 'Manx' wife denying any connection to the island, I sincerely hope that there is no longer anything to attract either of you treacherous people to return here. You are both, quite clearly, the kind of offal that we can well do without.

Water meters, if allowed, are bound to fail because waster is not a limited or precious commodity on IOM.

have you just made a new word ? ~ a combination of waste and water ?

brilliant laugh.gif

OOPS! It was supposed to say WATER. Water is not limited or precious. When was the last time we had an hosepipe ban? I cannot remember the year, but I was always very careful having lived most of my life in places where water was limited and was precious. Anyway, we got well into the summer and we were all told how desperate the situation was. Then the bint who was MHK at the time decided, as the main southern reservoir was low, lets empty it and clean it. Hose pipe bans over here lost all credibility with me then. Since that time, the new reservoir at Sulby has opened, so we have even more spare water. Meters? PAH!!!

Following your comments in another thread about your 'Manx' wife denying any connection to the island, I sincerely hope that there is no longer anything to attract either of you treacherous people to return here. You are both, quite clearly, the kind of offal that we can well do without.

My wife's not Manx. Like me she has joint British / Israeli nationality.

As for my returning to the Island, I do so once a year. To "place a stone".

OOPS! It was supposed to say WATER. Water is not limited or precious. When was the last time we had an hosepipe ban? I cannot remember the year, but I was always very careful having lived most of my life in places where water was limited and was precious. Anyway, we got well into the summer and we were all told how desperate the situation was. Then the bint who was MHK at the time decided, as the main southern reservoir was low, lets empty it and clean it. Hose pipe bans over here lost all credibility with me then. Since that time, the new reservoir at Sulby has opened, so we have even more spare water. Meters? PAH!!!

Not that long ago, 2005. The Water Authority had this to say in 2006:

“Although our reservoirs are full and overflowing at the moment and rainfall over the last few months has picked up, water is a precious resource and it should be treasured. A hosepipe left running for one hour can use as much water as a family of four would use for one day. I would encourage all our customers to use water wisely over the coming months, if we work together a hosepipe restriction need not be imposed”.

It still takes energy and resource to supply clean water and to deal with the waste. It's not an unlimited supply that comes without cost, and it should be conserved.

“Although our reservoirs are full and overflowing at the moment and rainfall over the last few months has picked up, water is a precious resource and it should be treasured. A hosepipe left running for one hour can use as much water as a family of four would use for one day. I would encourage all our customers to use water wisely over the coming months, if we work together a hosepipe restriction need not be imposed”.

It still takes energy and resource to supply clean water and to deal with the waste. It's not an unlimited supply that comes without cost, and it should be conserved.

but .....

The new Douglas Water Treatment Works was officially opened on the 2nd May, 2008

I understood the previous hosepipe bans (or restricted hours) were because of lack of capacity in the ancient treatment works

I understood the previous hosepipe bans (or restricted hours) were because of lack of capacity in the ancient treatment works

Yep, the bans aren't required now, but that's not to say that our islands water is unlimited. We're lucky, but there's still plenty of reasons to be frugal with water. It is costing us to treat and waste continues to be a problem.

There’s a whole lot more that will be involved with water meters than just paying for what you use. For example what you will pay will no doubt be based on where you live. What’s more sewage costs can be linked in with water supply so you pay for the supply and for the disposal based on water used. Again that will depend on where you live.

Considering the IRIS fiasco that could prove to be a very expensive matter for people living in some areas…

Then there’s the bottom line. There’s no way that the introduction of metering will result in a lower cash flow for the suppliers. You pay now, or you pay later but pay you will and if infrastructure work is needed it will be charged to the people affected.

Before Water Meters are blindly accepted on the basis of “It’ll save ME money” a long term view should be taken and considering the small population of the Island maybe the introduction of a flat rate for water no matter where anyone lives.

Be careful of this one. It could end up proving to be a very expensive path to go down, especially with the position that government is now in as a result of the collapse of the Common Purse and other agreements with the UK.

"Although our reservoirs are full and overflowing at the moment and rainfall over the last few months has picked up, water is a precious resource and it should be treasured. A hosepipe left running for one hour can use as much water as a family of four would use for one day. I would encourage all our customers to use water wisely over the coming months, if we work together a hosepipe restriction need not be imposed".

And then the silly bint emptied the reservoir.

There's a whole lot more that will be involved with water meters than just paying for what you use. For example what you will pay will no doubt be based on where you live. What's more sewage costs can be linked in with water supply so you pay for the supply and for the disposal based on water used. Again that will depend on where you live.

Considering the IRIS fiasco that could prove to be a very expensive matter for people living in some areas…

Then there's the bottom line. There's no way that the introduction of metering will result in a lower cash flow for the suppliers. You pay now, or you pay later but pay you will and if infrastructure work is needed it will be charged to the people affected.

Before Water Meters are blindly accepted on the basis of "It'll save ME money" a long term view should be taken and considering the small population of the Island maybe the introduction of a flat rate for water no matter where anyone lives.

Be careful of this one. It could end up proving to be a very expensive path to go down, especially with the position that government is now in as a result of the collapse of the Common Purse and other agreements with the UK.

And this concerns you how?

There's a whole lot more that will be involved with water meters than just paying for what you use. For example what you will pay will no doubt be based on where you live. What's more sewage costs can be linked in with water supply so you pay for the supply and for the disposal based on water used. Again that will depend on where you live.

I don't think there's anything to support that. The island has one water authority, and if metering is introduce, everything points to there being a flat rate for consumption. This is how it's done with phones, gas and electricity, why would water be any different?

From direct experience in the evil empire across, charges consisted of two components. One element for supply, the second for disposal.

Then there may be the issue of standing/service charges for the meter itself.

National water-meter trials began in 1988. In the Isle of Wight, 53,500 properties were covered by the trial, and a further 8,570 were included in eleven other small-scale trial sites. These demonstrated that metering was practicable for about 95% of households, and that it did promote conservation of this precious resource: consumers cut their consumption by about 10% on average when meters was installed.

Source - http://www.adamsmith.org/80ideas/idea/28.htm

The original concept as put to the IOW consumers was that it was a time limited trial - it wasn't.

This of course also leaves aside the issue of who owns the water companies across.( Some foreign companies hold large percentages ) not I suspect a factor here at the moment.

A nice little earner.

I don't think there's anything to support that. The island has one water authority, and if metering is introduce, everything points to there being a flat rate for consumption. This is how it's done with phones, gas and electricity, why would water be any different?

Because the infrastructure costs are so hugely different between different sites in the case of water.

Gas can be pushed around at high pressure and reduced for local distribution, electricity can be pushed around at high voltage and reduced in voltage for local distribution, evenm 'phones can be MUX'd and de-MUX'd to squeeze more users bandwidth onto a carrier, but water and sewage require much larger conduits than either gas or electricity when it comes down to transmission because liquids are to all intents uncompressible.

Also because it’ll be a way to rake more cash in per capita by using location as the excuse for differential pricing.

Because the infrastructure costs are so hugely different between different sites in the case of water.

Na, the same is true for power and telecoms too. Costs far more to supply some rural detached property than a housing estate, but the costs are spread.

But that aside, you're just doom mongering on Tatlock style 'thin end of the wedge' bollocks. You don't know, nobody does, so why not bleat about it when and if there's a metered rate?

Archived