Water Meters

Rog

For the first time (for me) I have to agree with Rog. Beware of a manx water (monoploy) authority bearing gifts! Our water rates have risen year on year and metering will not be introduced to lose revenue, you can bet your hosepipe on that. Such a move would require detailed scrutiny from our councillors - oops!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time (for me) I have to agree with Rog. Beware of a manx water (monoploy) authority bearing gifts! Our water rates have risen year on year and metering will not be introduced to lose revenue, you can bet your hosepipe on that. Such a move would require detailed scrutiny from our councillors - oops!

Like I said, water transport and treatment costs. The Water Authority currently charges a flat rate based on ratable value, but some people will be using more water than others. The cost can and on the evidence of elsewhere will go down for most people, and potentially reduce the authorities costs too.

It's the taxpayer thats funding these works, isn't it better to have em paid for by use and sting the abusers with the highest costs?

Like I said, water transport and treatment costs. The Water Authority currently charges a flat rate based on ratable value, but some people will be using more water than others. The cost can and on the evidence of elsewhere will go down for most people, and potentially reduce the authorities costs too.

It's the taxpayer thats funding these works, isn't it better to have em paid for by use and sting the abusers with the highest costs?

Slim - the costs will not go down. It never works that way. If they are not going to make more money out of it, it will not happen. You can wax lyrical about water butts, but in reality you will find that they will find a way of charging you more and making you pay for an over priced meter, plus VAT at 20% .

Source - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Water-rates-system-dubbed-39festering.6363550.jp

Water rates system dubbed 'festering sore'

Published Date: 15 June 2010

THE current water rates system is a 'festering sore' and changes were long overdue, Tynwald heard.

Treasury Minister Anne Craine said the current system of basing water rates on the rateable value of homes was 'inequitable and out of date'.

She said the Council of Ministers working group for which she is chairman had met regularly but had now completed its work and was due to report back to CoMin in the next few weeks.

Mrs Craine said she could not prejudge what council would recommend.

'I'm sure they will find a way forward,' she told Tynwald.

'The longer this festering sore continues the bigger the problem,' said Bill Henderson MHK (Douglas North).

Mr Craine agreed. 'This has been a festering sore for many, many years.'

'festering sore' rather emotive language.

Repeated quite a lot.

I get the impression that we are about to receive a gov backed full on meter campaign without any chance for other considerations.

Done and dusted.

Extract from https://www.southernwater.co.uk/pdf/domesticCustomers/WaterSewerageChrgs0910.pdf

Metered water charges

Standing charge £26.37

Charge per cubic metre £0.923

Other charges

Assisted charge (WaterSure Tariff) £127.00

Metered sewerage charges

Standing charge £47.17

Standing charge £25.17

(no surface water drainage)

Charge per cubic metre £1.698

Other charges

Assisted charge (WaterSure Tariff) £243.00

Slim - the costs will not go down. It never works that way. If they are not going to make more money out of it, it will not happen. You can wax lyrical about water butts, but in reality you will find that they will find a way of charging you more and making you pay for an over priced meter, plus VAT at 20% .

Your crystal ball is cloudy Cambon. How can a metered charge be universally higher for everyone?

Look at the examples in the following document:

https://docs.google....ater_meters.pdf

Look at the difference depending on number in the household and the usage. If we're metered, and I use much less water than you, I'll pay less. Also, to use your point from the speed limit thread, most other developed countries meter water.

Clean water isn't free, it has a cost, and meters will encourage people to be more careful with it.

I get the impression that we are about to receive a gov backed full on meter campaign without any chance for other considerations.

Done and dusted.

Good - user pays, makes sense.

Methinks the 'gentleman' doth protest too much.

Probably just pissed off because there maybe nothing and no one left for him to come back to. :)

There's an element of truth in that. For me the Isle of Man is now just a huge grave marker.

It saddens me to think how I had to leave my home or face a "summer on the horse trams - winter on the dole" life. It especially saddens me to have watched how The Usual Suspects and their offspring have behaved - and how the real Manxies that I knew and yes, loved, have been taken to the cleaners.

So why don't you crawl into your Norfolk hole and shut the fuck up, you twat?

Source - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Water-rates-system-dubbed-39festering.6363550.jp

THE current water rates system is a 'festering sore' and changes were long overdue, Tynwald heard.

Treasury Minister Anne Craine said the current system of basing water rates on the rateable value of homes was 'inequitable and out of date'.

She said the Council of Ministers working group for which she is chairman had met regularly but had now completed its work and was due to report back to CoMin in the next few weeks.

'The longer this festering sore continues the bigger the problem,' said Bill Henderson MHK (Douglas North).

Repeated quite a lot.

Done and dusted.

Seems eminently sensible to charge according to rateable value, the assumption being that the more expensive the house the wealthier the occupants. They at least have the option of downsizing if they find the charge not affordable, unlike the young family with a couple of children who use more water for cleaning than a two person retired couple.

The cost of introducing it will be bourne by the user also. Try to work out the cost to a person in a HMO who can barely afford the rent, let alone a standing charge and the cost of installing a meter they don't want in the first place. This idea equates nicely with the rationale behind the poll tax in the UK; viz; why should one person in a castle pay more rates than four people in a council house? they use less services! Utterly spurious argument used by idiots to justify their need to retain their wealth instead of distributing their disposable income across the community in support of those less able to afford life's necessities.

Repeated quite a lot.

Done and dusted.

Seems eminently sensible to charge according to rateable value, the assumption being that the more expensive the house the wealthier the occupants. They at least have the option of downsizing if they find the charge not affordable, unlike the young family with a couple of children who use more water for cleaning than a two person retired couple.

The cost of introducing it will be bourne by the user also. Try to work out the cost to a person in a HMO who can barely afford the rent, let alone a standing charge and the cost of installing a meter they don't want in the first place. This idea equates nicely with the rationale behind the poll tax in the UK; viz; why should one person in a castle pay more rates than four people in a council house? they use less services! Utterly spurious argument used by idiots to justify their need to retain their wealth instead of distributing their disposable income across the community in support of those less able to afford life's necessities.

Strange argument. We don't charge for electricity or gas according to the value of the house. Why should a commodity like water be any different?

Rateable value is an outdated concept but like local government reform it won't be tackled by this government.

My concern is that this is yet another tactic to get some money to fill the VAT hole whilst trying to avoid the required staff and pension cutting exercise that is required across all government (yet seems to be getting little more than mere lip service in the Ivory Towers)

All this dancing round and posturing yet the soft cushioned arses seem to be carrying on as normal.

Look at the difference depending on number in the household and the usage. If we're metered, and I use much less water than you, I'll pay less. Also, to use your point from the speed limit thread, most other developed countries meter water.

Clean water isn't free, it has a cost, and meters will encourage people to be more careful with it.

That is because in most countries it is a precious commodity. Here it is not. In Staffs (as per your PDF) the sewage treatment works release fresh water back into the drinking water system, so when you turn on the tap for a glass of water, it has been 6 other peoples piss. Recaiming that piss into water IS very expensive. We don't need to do that here. Our sewage works only has to make the waste safe for release into the sea. That is why our water rates are low compared to the UK, and should remain so. Installing meters is the thin end of the wedge and will be another stealth tax.

Installing meters is the thin end of the wedge and will be another stealth tax.

Agreed I was across down south - single in 1 bed flat - charges based on ratable value - about £12 a month at the time - early 90s IIRC

Shower daily, washing machine couple of times a week and cooking. Not a great amount consumption wise

Metered rapidly became £40 a month plus - I was barely in the place and only had usage as above.

Charges increased by a high percentage each year as well.

Again IIRC one year up by just under 25%

Direct experience.

I can recall the odd single smelly person who paid less and was quite happy.

All of the rest paid much, much more. Particularly families who need washing machines a lot and with a few playing kids to wash.

God knows what the charges will be here.

And throwing in meters everywhere will cost an arm and a leg plus the usual IOM inflated 'costs'

That is because in most countries it is a precious commodity. Here it is not. In Staffs (as per your PDF) the sewage treatment works release fresh water back into the drinking water system, so when you turn on the tap for a glass of water, it has been 6 other peoples piss. Recaiming that piss into water IS very expensive. We don't need to do that here. Our sewage works only has to make the waste safe for release into the sea. That is why our water rates are low compared to the UK, and should remain so. Installing meters is the thin end of the wedge and will be another stealth tax.

Right-o Cambon, you know best as always.

Archived