Taxi Survey

Paul H

Which of the following is most important to you?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am doing a little market research and would very much like to hear your opinions about the taxi industry on the Isle of Man. The results of this poll will also be sent to the Manx Taxi Federation and the Isle of Man Road Transport Licensing Committee. Thank you for your assistance. :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously I can’t have a say, but do you mean that you have any taxis that don’t take payment by plastic?

And how about ‘mini cabs’ (pre-booked only at lower charges than ‘hail down’ taxis)?

Better availability of taxis at all times. I don't mind paying the price because everyone has to make a living but more taxis being available would be better all round. Competition is good for business and more taxis being available would mean that it's safer for people, particularly women and a single females. It would also mean that there would be less people congregated in a small area at the same time trying to get taxis.

Stav.

There's a lot of options I'd like to tick. You might get better results if you used one of the online survey websites that would allow you to collect multiple answers and stuff. You know, something like 'Pick the three most important from this list'. The stats would mean more then as most people are going to tick lower fares or availability.

I can see why most people are putting lower fares, but there is no point in having cheap fares if you can’t get anyone to drive the cabs.

A full time cabbie still has to be able to support a family in theory. So that’s why I went for the better availability one.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn’t think it was the cabbies themselves that set the fares?

I am as infuriated with the cost as anyone else but at 2.00 in the morning I would rather have more cabs available that standing freezing for 45 minutes waiting for one that might save me a £1 on my trip home

yes availability is important too, but as far as Im concerned I dont care if there is 400 taxis waiting to pick me up on the prom at that price, I refuse to spend £20+ for a ten minute journey, Id rather walk it (2 hours walk home for me, its all good)

If you think about it, the minimum wage is just over £5 per hour, they get £20 for ten minutes = £120 per hour if they is busy and keep full both ways!

I'd personally like to see lower fares and credit/debit card handling, as well as a general smartening up when it comes to pickup and dropoff times. (I particularily don't like being argued with when I say what time I want to be picked up for a trip to the airport, just because they recon I'll get there in time for the flight)

I'd also like to see an improvement in the vehicles. I don't expect a Jag, but at least let it be clean, whatever turns up!

Lower fares would be nice, but I don't think they're out of line with other places around the UK, however given that the cost of insurance, road tax and business and income taxes are much lower here it'd be nice to see these savings passed on to the customers instead of pocketed by the cab firm.

Lower fares. We always give them a ring to get a taxi rather than trying to hail one down. There always seems to be one within the next 10 minutes. Based on that, it would be nice if it didn't cost nearly ten pounds to get across the prom up to the edge of Onchan.

Archived