Taxi Survey

Paul H

Which of the following is most important to you?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if you get a cab in the UK they are far cheaper even London cabbies are cheaper

You sure about that?

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/pco/f...-detailed.shtml

I always manage to get a lot cheaper than that, always ring local companies that have been recommended.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have voted cheaper fares too although as Ans suggested it'd be better if you could select more than one option as there are quite a few areas for improvement.

I don't mind paying five or six quid to get back home after a night out when it saves a walk across most of douglas. What I do object to though is the cost of coming from down south say back to douglas. It effectively means I won't go out down south with my mates down there because the cost is prohibitive unless I get the last bus back which is a crap thing having to come back at 10.30 or whatever.

Does the south coast late night bus thing still run? Either way that is a great idea and more things like that should be done assuming the demand is there and I suspect it is.

And if they could learn to use their indicators & not think they have carte blanche to drive inconsiderately it would be nice too, although obviously that's not quite all of them. It can't be! ;)

Good that you're asking Paul.

if you get a cab in the UK they are far cheaper even London cabbies are cheaper

You sure about that?

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/pco/f...-detailed.shtml

I always manage to get a lot cheaper than that, always ring local companies that have been recommended.

But what you are then getting is what we know as 'mini-cabs'. These can not ply for hire and must be pre-booked, or at least called by 'phone as opposed to being just flagged down.

Do you not have such on the Island? They are much cheaper but you don't get such a good vehicle at times and you are never sure about things like the insurance or the character or otherwise of the driver,

But what you are then getting is what we know as 'mini-cabs'.  These can not ply for hire and must be pre-booked, or at least called by 'phone as opposed to being just flagged down.

Do you not have such on the Island?  They are much cheaper but you don't get such a good vehicle at times and you are never sure about things like the insurance or the character or otherwise of the driver,

Yeah Rog, we do have them of a sort. Not known as 'mini-cabs' but, rather, private hire operators. They must be pre-booked, cannot ply for hire or sit on ranks etc. But over here even these guys have to be licensed and go before the RTLC before being OK'ed I believe.

Maybe Paul H can confirm???

But what you are then getting is what we know as 'mini-cabs'.  These can not ply for hire and must be pre-booked, or at least called by 'phone as opposed to being just flagged down.

Do you not have such on the Island?  They are much cheaper but you don't get such a good vehicle at times and you are never sure about things like the insurance or the character or otherwise of the driver,

Yeah Rog, we do have them of a sort. Not known as 'mini-cabs' but, rather, private hire operators. They must be pre-booked, cannot ply for hire or sit on ranks etc. But over here even these guys have to be licensed and go before the RTLC before being OK'ed I believe.

Maybe Paul H can confirm???

Under the regulations drawn up and enforced by the RTLC, private hire vehicles can only be executive cars, limousines or minibuses (Nine passengers or more). This is unlike most parts of the U.K. where a private hire is known as a minicab and is often seen as a cheap form of taxi and often of poor quality. Private Hire operators on the island are also registered and regulated again unlike most of the U.K.

Minicabs are a growing menace to the authorities in the U.K because many of them operate so cheaply they go without M.O.Ts, public liability insurance, etc. They also provide income for illegal imigrants or even people with a criminal history that would prevent them from getting a normal taxi drivers license. Not many of them will be paying tax either!

But in spite of the risks people still use minicabs because they are plentiful and cheap. The regulated taxi drivers do much complaining about them and claim that there is no way to compete with their prices because of the high cost of licensing and insurance etc.

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...rticleID=973160

"TAXI AUTHORITY COST TAXPAYERS MORE THAN £200,000

The taxi licensing authority has cost taxpayers more than £200,000 in the past 12 months it has been revealed.

The Road Transport Licensing Committee, which is embroiled in a row with cab drivers and owners over the issuing of new licences, is expected to spend £234,300 by the end of the this month, the completion of the financial year.

It earned just £17,300, leaving a £217,000 shortfall. "

The figures were released by Transport Minister John Shimmin in Tynwald on Tuesday. Answering a question from Brenda Cannell (APG, Douglas East) he said it had been hoped the RTLC would become self-financing, but that has clearly not happened and 'it would be difficult to assert they are currently providing value for money'. "

You have to admire the D.O.T’s optimism in thinking that the R.T.L.C. would be self financing? After all, they are only £217,000 out and compared to certain other Governmental departments this is very impressive and perhaps they think they deserve some sort of congratulations.

As for value for money, I am one of the people who have contributed to the £17,300 the R.T.L.C. did manage to raise. I can’t see any value for money whatsoever, so I wonder (just checking) did anyone else notice any value for money from the R.T.L.C. in the past 12 months? :unsure:

No mention of how much the shortfall has been each year since the R.T.L.C. was set up in 2001?

In case anyone is wondering the cost of a taxi license this year is £55.00 per vehicle and £35.00 for each additional district. Only £55.00 to licence a taxi business for a year and yet everyone else is expected to pay more than double that amount just to licence our televisons! :blink:

God knows what goes on in the minds of the people who 'run' the island <_<

I disagree.

I think that charging double after midnight is blatant overcharging. find ONE cab firm over the water that does that. they'd have their windows bricked through by 00:05.

Double on bank holidays? that's a fair fare i think. No-one wants to work on a holiday.

The rate after midnight - and on bank holidays - is TIME AND A HALF! There is no such thing as 'DOUBLE'! How many other people work bank holidays for TIME AND A HALF?

The rate after midnight - and on bank holidays - is TIME AND A HALF! There is no such thing as 'DOUBLE'! How many other people work bank holidays for TIME AND A HALF?

I do sometimes. Anyone else?

There's a Taxi driver sat in his car in Falcon Street right now, and he's been beeping his horn for the last ten minutes.

Why can't he and his typical fellow lazy workers shift their arses, get out of the cosy seat and ring the door bell.

This is inconsideration to everyone, not just road users.

There's a Taxi driver sat in his car in Falcon Street right now, and he's been beeping his horn for the last ten minutes.

Why can't he and his typical fellow lazy workers shift their arses, get out of the cosy seat and ring the door bell.

This is inconsideration to everyone, not just road users.

You will be happy to learn that on the 11th of Feb this year the Road Transport Licensing Committee issued a Draft Code of Conduct to all taxi operators. No. 1 on the list of do's and don't reads as follows:-

1. A driver shall not sound the horn of the vehicle merely for the purpose of signifying his/her arrival at the address of the hirer.

Of course getting the lazy buggers to do as they are told is a different matter :(

Why can't his typically lazy fare be ready on time and get their asses out the door quicker. He's not being paid while he sits there. I bet they'd be quicker out the door if the meter started running as soon as they pulled up outside your house eh?

Archived